HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 6:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i was trying to find a map of the curent lake south of the city for some reson there arnt any what gives? in 97 there was all sorts of maps

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 7:08 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lood Still Growing
CJOB's Lorne Edwards reporting
4/20/2009

Manitoba's senior flood forecaster says almost 17-hundred square kilometers of this province is now flooded. Alf Warkentin says that's a lot of land under water:

Warkentin says the Red River has fallen a tenth of a foot in the past 24 hours from Emerson to St. Jean, and a tenth of a foot from St. Adolphe to Breezy Point.

-

Just over 2,350 people have now been evacuated from their homes due to spring flooding in Manitoba:

But EMO Director Don Brennan tells CJOB that does not include people who voluntarily left their homes, and did not register.
Brennan says it's important to register so evacuees can be eligible for daily compensation.. even if they're staying with relatives.

-

Provincial and Municipal crews are doing their best to keep up with extensive overland flooding in the Interlake. Water Stewardship Executive Director Steve Topping tells CJOB the challenges change minute by minute:

Topping also says pumps within community ring dikes are being manned for potential rain. As a result he says crews are stationed on these islands.. in what's become the big red sea.

-

While the emphasis has shifted, there's still plenty of high water across many regions of Southern Manitoba. Monday, Manitoba's Minister for Emergency Measures Steve Ashton wanted to talk about damage at Peguis:

Ashton says further flood mitigation measures for the region will be a priority for the government coming out of this spring's flood.

-

Manitoba's Minister Responsible for Emergency Measures paid tribute Monday to those who've helped on the front-lines of this spring's flood. However as Steve Ashton tells CJOB, volunteers will be needed as much when the waters recede as when river levels were rising:

Ashton reminds us we're far from that point, yet.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 3:35 PM
Back from the dead

Here's a surprise :
I was talking to a couple of my Chinese friends and they were telling me that our flood situation has actually made the news in China. Go figure...I really wouldn't have figured it would be much more than a Canadian/Mid-Western U.S. story. Stand tall Winnipeg ! Or try to swim tall anyway.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan