HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How long will the Saskatchewan economy boom last?
1-5 years 8 22.86%
5-10 years 18 51.43%
12 months and under 9 25.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
This reeks of little brother taking shots at big brother. Talk to me when you have economic output greater than southwest Calgary.
Well the same can be said for you then. If you are so insecure about little brother knocking off big brother maybe you should tuck your tail and run back to Oilberta.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 10:18 PM
Tiger

Good luck to you guys in Sask. Hopefully the activity can be sustained for some time and you: A) Do a good job in managing the growth and B) Use the wealth to wean yourself off of volatile and unpredictable natural resources.

One other thing: Stay humble and don't develop swelled heads like your neighbors in southern Alberta.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN View Post
Good luck to you guys in Sask. Hopefully the activity can be sustained for some time and you: A) Do a good job in managing the growth and B) Use the wealth to wean yourself off of volatile and unpredictable natural resources.

One other thing: Stay humble and don't develop swelled heads like your neighbors in southern Alberta.
There's only room for one SWELLED head on the prairies. Everyone knows that it is Calgary!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 8:58 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot™ View Post
Also, you can provide documentation that the new roayalty tax is going to hinder proposed construction when in fact the proposal hasn't even been presented yet? Edmonton/Calgary Sun articles don't count.

Unsubstantiated fear-mongering at its best/worst.
Are you kidding me... you haven't heard of the 1.4 billion dollar increase in royalties??

Perhaps you haven't read a news paper in the last week .. or seen any local or national news.

Real Estate has also declined in Calgary for the third month in a row, down by over $50,000 from its high. Perhpas you have ignored that fact as well.

If you consider these very real facts as fear mongering than you are completely out to lunch. I guess some people prefer life with blinders on.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 2:56 PM
Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Are you kidding me... you haven't heard of the 1.4 billion dollar increase in royalties??

Perhaps you haven't read a news paper in the last week .. or seen any local or national news.

Real Estate has also declined in Calgary for the third month in a row, down by over $50,000 from its high. Perhpas you have ignored that fact as well.

If you consider these very real facts as fear mongering than you are completely out to lunch. I guess some people prefer life with blinders on.
I would agree with the assessment that there are some serious cracks appearing in Alberta right now. Edmonton is in the same boat as Calgary in terms of RE, tons of inventory, big prices drops (especially on higher end stuff) and a boatload of stuff being built. With a serious downturn in migration, the speculators and those who bought in over the past couple years could be hurting real bad, which could drag things down much like the US.

Throw in the plans to reduce drilling (companies use the royalty thing as an excuse but were planning to scale back because of cost anyway), cost overruns on oilsands projects fuelling inflation, you have potential for some major things.

If Alberta were to drop, there would be an impact on Sask, not sure how big it might be. Oil and gas overlap but Sask has some other stuff that Alta doesn't, how big these components are of the economy I'm not sure to buffer the province.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 4:37 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN View Post
I would agree with the assessment that there are some serious cracks appearing in Alberta right now. Edmonton is in the same boat as Calgary in terms of RE, tons of inventory, big prices drops (especially on higher end stuff) and a boatload of stuff being built. With a serious downturn in migration, the speculators and those who bought in over the past couple years could be hurting real bad, which could drag things down much like the US.

Throw in the plans to reduce drilling (companies use the royalty thing as an excuse but were planning to scale back because of cost anyway), cost overruns on oilsands projects fuelling inflation, you have potential for some major things.

If Alberta were to drop, there would be an impact on Sask, not sure how big it might be. Oil and gas overlap but Sask has some other stuff that Alta doesn't, how big these components are of the economy I'm not sure to buffer the province.
I would completely agree with your assessment, especailly about speculators starting to feel the pinch. I am seeing more and more properties for sale, but they aren't selling. If things continue on this path I think Calgary will see a significant price correction and alot of sad real estate "investors"... and I use the term loosely... aka slow minded sheep.

Saskatchewan's oil industry would be impacted by Alberta's decline, but to a lesser degree. Saskatchewan still offers lower costs and lower inflation than Alberta. With that said Saskatchewan has a much more balanced economy and if one sector starts to decline, other sectors can fill the gap.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 12:03 AM

People tend to forget that Saskatchewan's oil and gas industry is quite small compared to Alberta. Also it is quite small when it comes to percentage of our economy.

Agriculture is still the king though not as dominant as it has been. This along with the mining sector, Potash, Uranium, even Diamonds, is what is really fuelling the boom. Oil is just a small cog in the wheel.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan