HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 4:08 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
the golf club is only 200m from the shore
Honestly the golf club is what’s given me a hard time. The lack of space along the current alignment is why I’m only proposing a WB RIRO towards the college instead of a full interchange.

If we use 90-m ROW for the bypass, that leaves 110 m between the limit of the freeway ROW and the lake. Hmm, I don’t know if that’ll be enough. The lake’s definitely a hot potato for me.
And yea, a northern route’s too circuitous.

Ps: It’s actually interesting that the ROW along TCH is 60 m even through the built up area (except for Appleton). That’s technically enough for 6 lanes of divided freeway. It smells of forethought.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Honestly the golf club is what’s given me a hard time. The lack of space along the current alignment is why I’m only proposing a WB RIRO towards the college instead of a full interchange.

If we use 90-m ROW for the bypass, that leaves 110 m between the limit of the freeway ROW and the lake. Hmm, I don’t know if that’ll be enough. The lake’s definitely a hot potato for me.
And yea, a northern route’s too circuitous.

Ps: It’s actually interesting that the ROW along TCH is 60 m even through the built up area (except for Appleton). That’s technically enough for 6 lanes of divided freeway. It smells of forethought.
Interested to know your thoughts on twinning the TCH through Whitbourne, as it's likely the starting point for any twinning on the Avalon.

In recent years there's been quite of bit commercial development on the TCH between the Trinity/Markland Rd Overpass and the Cape Shore Highway intersection (mostly services for travelers), and I think changing it could become a contentious issue pretty fast.

My guess they'll reroute the TCH slightly north, and maybe use a part of the existing highway as a frontage road, which access to the overpasses at each end.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 8:23 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath for the widening to Chilliwack.

HWY 99A which is the route via the Alex Frazer Bridge was a short freeway except for one stop light. From the time of completion of the bridge and highway to get rid of that just one light to make it a full freeway took 20 years. Yes, that's right, one interchange took a numbing 20 years.

BC simply doesn't build highways and is loath to spend any money on them. HWY#15 which connects the truck border to HWY#1 could have been a lot faster and although not a freeway would have been a far superior roadway with interchanges and the feds were willing to commit the money do it but it was Victoria that didn't want to match the funding from Ottawa so now we have a 4 lane road that also has tractors going down it and warns drivers to slow to 50km/hour when children are playing. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath for the widening to Chilliwack.

HWY 99A which is the route via the Alex Frazer Bridge was a short freeway except for one stop light. From the time of completion of the bridge and highway to get rid of that just one light to make it a full freeway took 20 years. Yes, that's right, one interchange took a numbing 20 years.

BC simply doesn't build highways and is loath to spend any money on them. HWY#15 which connects the truck border to HWY#1 could have been a lot faster and although not a freeway would have been a far superior roadway with interchanges and the feds were willing to commit the money do it but it was Victoria that didn't want to match the funding from Ottawa so now we have a 4 lane road that also has tractors going down it and warns drivers to slow to 50km/hour when children are playing. You couldn't make this stuff up.
Think you meant 91-A. There was also a light at 91/91-A. The traffic back-ups were horrendous. BC-15 does leave a lot to be desired; especially the stretch through Cloverdale. BC and MB have a lot in common with bad highway design and cheapening out on construction.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 9:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
Interested to know your thoughts on twinning the TCH through Whitbourne, as it's likely the starting point for any twinning on the Avalon.

In recent years there's been quite of bit commercial development on the TCH between the Trinity/Markland Rd Overpass and the Cape Shore Highway intersection (mostly services for travelers), and I think changing it could become a contentious issue pretty fast.

My guess they'll reroute the TCH slightly north, and maybe use a part of the existing highway as a frontage road, which access to the overpasses at each end.
Stuff like this does make me question whether Newfoundland really classifies TCH as a freeway. (Like, what’s with the services along TCH through Deer Lake by an interchange??)
In the case of Whitbourne, though, I’m not particularly concerned. All that the province needs to do is to install a sign before the Whitbourne exit warning westbound drivers of limited service for the next hundreds of KM.
Twinning can proceed on current alignment with service roads to the south.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 11:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:

Quote:
Stuff like this does make me question whether Newfoundland really classifies TCH as a freeway. (Like, what’s with the services along TCH through Deer Lake by an interchange??)
In the case of Whitbourne, though, I’m not particularly concerned. All that the province needs to do is to install a sign before the Whitbourne exit warning westbound drivers of limited service for the next hundreds of KM.
Twinning can proceed on current alignment with service roads to the south.
I was going to let the Government of N.L. do their thing, but since you asked, here we go!
=====
J'allais laisser la décision de quoi faire au gouvernement Ténélien, mais puisque tu m'a demandé, voilà!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the concept design. I assume the circles are roundabouts?

Quote:
Outside of the Avalon, and maybe Corner Brook I'd say no, the TCH isn't considered freeway. The American definition of an Expressway fits the divided sections in Grand Falls and Deer Lake, with partial controlled access.

The services in Deer Lake have been there a long time, possibly dating back to when the TCH opened, and there was probably no thought given to traffic increases.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 12:14 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Thanks for the concept design. I assume the circles are roundabouts?
Aww thanks. Yes circles in the photo are roundabouts.

Quote:
Outside of the Avalon, and maybe Corner Brook I'd say no, the TCH isn't considered freeway. The American definition of an Expressway fits the divided sections in Grand Falls and Deer Lake, with partial controlled access.
Hmm that's an interesting dividing line. I do notice that there are significantly fewer interchanges outside of Avalon Peninsula, the Grand Falls - Windsor - Bishop Falls band, and the Corner Brooke - Deer Lake band.

Even then, there are still odd balls like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@48.2528...!1e4?entry=ttu
I actually notice that N.L.-1 has a lot of instances of divided 4 lanes at interchanges.

Quote:
The services in Deer Lake have been there a long time, possibly dating back to when the TCH opened, and there was probably no thought given to traffic increases.
Yea drawing the divided freeway for that part definitely gave me a hard time.

Anyway, after 9 hours, I am finally done:
Pasadena - Pynn's Brook (I will admit, the service road was poorly thought out.)

Pynn's Brook - Little Harbour

Little Harbour - Saint Judes

Saint Judes - Deer Lake (You know that I was really hard pressed for space when I had to list out the ROW width for each facility like that. )

Within Deer Lake (Apparently, it's fine to put a divided freeway in front of a dam, like here: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4199...!1e4?entry=ttu)

I really need to take a break from highway design, 18.7 km later...
Ps: I'm using bilingual labelling only because it's the TCH.
Ps2: I've designed the twinning with the assumption that the train might be re-instated one day, no matter how likely.
Ps3: I am bad at drawing loop ramps.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 9:18 AM

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 10:41 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Lowkey I wish the service roads cross the rail tracks too so that TCH is reserved for long-distance vehicular traffic only.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 3:30 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Last edited by craner; Oct 10, 2023 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 11:55 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

^ That’s how we know that B.C.‘s just being ideological about highway building. Does it have the geotechnical capabilities (to build 4-lane freeways)? KHC phase 4 shows yes. The fact that B.C. pretty much doesn’t do it elsewhere bespeaks its underlying ideology.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 9:34 PM

Nova Scotia has released plans for it's next phase of Trans Canada twinning.

Highway 104 Twinning - Taylors Road to Paqtnkek

They are going with a different routing for the new Trunk 4 than I thought. It should be a nice upgrade.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 12:24 PM

An amazing shot of the final Kicking Horse segment coming together:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 2:27 AM

Looks like Kicking horse is going to wrap up early December. Chase, Tappen, and Sicamous are up next

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 2:32 AM

Chase will be the next to finish, Tappen is just getting started and the new Bridge in Sicamous gets going next year.

The Quartz Creek Bridge is coming along nicely:

For some reason this one isn't talked about much, but along with the newly announced adjacent Selkirk project it will be around 8.5km of twinning.

Quartz Creek Bridge Replacement and Four-Laning works underway by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

Quartz Creek Bridge Replacement and Four-Laning works underway by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

Jumping Creek will also get started with 2.6 km of twinning, including retaining walls and two sections of half bridges (eastbound lanes over the edge of the hill)

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 5:57 AM

A great pic of the Kicking Horse Canyon project.

Definitely Canada's most impressive stretch of rural highway IMO.

Would just be nice if the feds got off their asses and started moving on the Yoho project...

BC Highway 1-Kicking Horse Canyon-Phase 4 by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 1:00 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/tr...rea_layout.pdf
I’m impressed that B.C.M.T.I.’s going with a wide median here.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 7:12 PM

Quartz creek bridge is now partially open. Just watched a youtube video of this

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 7:54 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishpet1 View Post
Quartz creek bridge is now partially open. Just watched a youtube video of this
When these 2 projects done, it’ll just 13 km of undivided highway until Donald. I wonder what’s the plan for those 13 km.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada