HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:32 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
No, you're fun. I forgot I also have Boris on FB, though we've not met.
It could happen. I just might need to walk across the damn country and then swim the gap in order to avoid the airfare.

Flickr

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I imagine we'll all be visiting Ayreonaut en masse in CGY at some point. We'll keep you posted.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
It could happen. I just might need to walk across the damn country and then swim the gap in order to avoid the airfare.
I've been toying with the idea of going to St. John's, but it would have to be a roadtrip -- if I'm paying anywhere near that for airfare, I have a very firm requirement that the plane lands in Europe (or any other continent as long as it's not ours).

I have currently 250+ liters of used veggie oil in storage that I have yet to burn, so with my old VW TDI, this could work.

My new set of wheels is a Chevy that runs on 40-cents-a-liter propane, and I've also been looking for a roadtrip opportunity for it. Though my gf has so far always vetoed against using it instead of her nearly new (gas-guzzling in comparison) manual base Civic whenever I made that suggestion...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:48 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

imgur

My true identity is overlord of Laval!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I've been toying with the idea of going to St. John's, but it would have to be a roadtrip -- if I'm paying anywhere near that for airfare, I have a very firm requirement that the plane lands in Europe (or any other continent as long as it's not ours).
It's only 15,000 Aeroplan points from Quebec, lio. Sign up for a free credit card, put five grand of spending on it within a year, boom... there's two almost-free tickets.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:17 PM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I think it's always best to try to remain discrete and keep my online persona completely separate from my real one.
A couple of years back at the PDAC convention a chap walked past my booth. On his badge was a name that I recognized from SSP. That I type this here in response to your post is, of course, pure coincidence.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:19 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Has anyone figured out who I am? I always figured the admins/moderators have access to all our account data?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Has anyone figured out who I am? I always figured the admins/moderators have access to all our account data?
I was asking myself that same question.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:26 PM

^ You don't have to provide much in the way of personal details when you sign up. However, I recall from modding a Winnipeg forum some years ago that the software gave us (not surprisingly) IP addresses for each post so that would provide a bit of a clue as to who certain individuals were.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Aside from IP addresses, the only thing that could link your real self to the admins/mods would be your email address if it contains your name in it.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 4:18 PM

Last edited by le calmar; Feb 3, 2020 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I got the idea for this thread because not that long ago I crossed paths with a fellow SSPer in my real life. It took a bit of time to confirm my inkling and then it totally clicked that this person was SSPer X.

I thought about coming out and saying "hey X, it's me, Acajack!"

And then I chickened out.

I am almost positive that person has no idea that was me.

Interesting. We live in the same city, but I would be very surprised if it was me since I don't recall crossing path with anybody that could have been a fellow forumer. Was he a Ottawa/Gatineau forumer?

Last edited by le calmar; Jun 1, 2016 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 5:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Interesting. We live in the same city, but I would be very surprised if it was me since I don't recall crossing path with anybody that could have been a fellow forumer. Was he a Ottawa/Gatineau forumer?
Hmm... do I answer this or not?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 5:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I have personally met some of the old guard Quebec/Montreal forumers. Back in the day, we used to have "Smoked Meet" gatherings. The only active member still around on SSP (aside from myself), is Harls....it maybe that several others are still present.

Similarly, some London-area forumers also had a gathering that I attended about 5 years ago.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 12:30 AM
I am a typical

I have 52 (!!!!!!) SSPers as friends on Facebook (before I counted them I guessed about 35). Quite a few of them are from the famous Midwest Coffee Talk thread, the censorship of which is the reason I opened a Facebook account in the first place.

I went to school with one (who hasn't posted in a few years), and excluding him I've met maybe 5 forumers in total, one who was a lurker until a few months ago and one from Winnipeg who hasn't posted for a while as far as I can tell. I also met a Vancouver forumer who got me into some pretty cool places for photography.

Several forumers had planned to meet me in the past when they were driving cross-country, on vacation in Minnesota or in Thunder Bay for conferences or meetings, but we couldn't meet for various reasons. A couple more have let me know when they'll be stopping through but who knows if we'll meet. I'm pretty busy these days. The era of 35 posts per day at all hours of the day are long gone now.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 12:47 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle33 View Post
A couple of years back at the PDAC convention a chap walked past my booth. On his badge was a name that I recognized from SSP. That I type this here in response to your post is, of course, pure coincidence.
It's been years since I've been to the PDAC. I'm curious which side of the convention it was, trade show or investor's exchange?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 12:51 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I have personally met some of the old guard Quebec/Montreal forumers. Back in the day, we used to have "Smoked Meet" gatherings. The only active member still around on SSP (aside from myself), is Harls....it maybe that several others are still present.

Similarly, some London-area forumers also had a gathering that I attended about 5 years ago.
We had the forum convention in Toronto in May 2006, I believe it was. There must have been around 20-25 in attendance. And back then the forum was still one big thing so it wasn't limited to Canadians. Dylan flew in for the event and there was an impressive line-up of Forum Celebrities such as Miketoronto (possibly even "Jenn" made an appearance) as well as the mysterious someone123, that Don guy from Arizona (?) and the retired guy from the US who was quite popular (Ex-Ithacan). I think I remember meeting Niwell at that time and there must have been a bunch of others. We went to Doors Open and the Islands and had dinner at the Marche and then went on to a pub on Bloor Street somewhere.

In Winnipeg, we had a high-level meeting in March 2002, right after I joined ... esquire was in attendance, along with long-departed forumers Rambam and Pootkao.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 1:14 AM
sick transit, gloria

^Yep I was there with KeninOttawa who no longer posts. Don was there with his ex and Ex-Ithican was there as well. We ended up at the Victory on Markham St and I got quite drunk with a forumer who also does't post anymore, although we are Facebook friends.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 1:27 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The other year, I correctly guessed another Moncton forumers occupation based on a photo he took for one of our neighbourhood threads.

It was a photo of a new fire station under construction. Based on the fact that he was obviously standing on a fire truck when he took the photo, I surmised he was a firefighter himself. Since the station was a replacement for a pre-existing building, I guessed which firefighting company he belonged to (based on the fact he was checking out his new digs).

It kind of freaked him out that I was able to that. It was even worse though. I checked the link on his photo, and it took me to his Photobucket account which had his real name on it.

So, based on this single post, I found out his name, occupation and where he worked (not that I was stalking him).

We're not as anonymous as some would like to think.........

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 2:10 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
^Yep I was there with KeninOttawa who no longer posts. Don was there with his ex and Ex-Ithican was there as well. We ended up at the Victory on Markham St and I got quite drunk with a forumer who also does't post anymore, although we are Facebook friends.
I remember you explaining your "name" to me. My recollection of that day is kind of hazy. I recall telling an incredulous exIthacan about the Bay-Adelaide Centre stump that was then still standing and painted up as a giant advertisement for something. It's hard to believe that just 10 years ago it didn't seem especially likely that there would ever be a lot more skyscrapers in the heart of downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada