HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 7:38 PM

Anybody know why old-style "hot sandwiches" are always served with peas?

I haven't seen one on a menu for decades - thought they had pretty much died out by the 1970s. It's sort of retro-enough to be a bit cool, except for the artery-clogging thing...

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post

I haven't seen one on a menu for decades - thought they had pretty much died out by the 1970s. It's sort of retro-enough to be a bit cool, except for the artery-clogging thing...
And the gross wet bread/gravy combo thing?

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 8:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

You can still get hot sandwiches at Irving Big Stops in the Maritimes, and in most Ma & Pa family restaurants around here. And, yes, they still get served with peas.

When I was a kid growing up in the 60s and early 70s in PEI, going to the Bonnie Brea Restaurant in Cornwall to get a hot sandwich was a rare family treat. We only did it a couple times per year.

Oh, the memories.........

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 8:26 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:

I've seen them on menus very occasionally in recent years - definitely a retro cool thing. Of course with better ingredients, and usually minus the frozen peas.

Not gonna lie I do enjoy making a hot sandwich with thanksgiving leftovers and do have a soft spot for gravy soaked bread. I'm sure the example posted above isn't very good of course. Hell, a lot of the food posted here recently I'd probably eat if a similar version was made by a local pub and not some shitty chain.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 10:02 PM
Registered Drug User

Sometimes I forget this is an urban hipster forum. Newsflash: hot gravy sandwiches never "went away," they've always been and continue to be standard fare at diners. And like pretty much anything, there's good and bad.

I'm a lay connoisseur of hot beef sandwiches (get your mind out of the gutter, you preverts). It's the only thing I get when we're in the mood to go to a diner. I've had terrible ones with sandwich meat-style roast beef and gravy from a package, and I've had really good ones made with beef sliced from a roast, real mashed potatoes and excellent coleslaw on the side.

I see it as a satisfyingly hearty dish for cold weather. I probably have it four or five times per winter.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 10:12 PM
arf

I often got the turkey or roast beef dinners at local restaurants in Newfoundland. Their savory dressing is fabulous. Not soul-sucking in the least, especially with a view of the ocean.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 10:56 PM

Love hot gravy sandwiches. i make them at home, but add spicey sausage for a little more flavour. Sometimes swap out the gravy with a tomato sauce to make it more like a francesinha.

Also, most of those restaurants on Molsons list are fine.

Last edited by theman23; May 29, 2020 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Sometimes I forget this is an urban hipster forum. Newsflash: hot gravy sandwiches never "went away," they've always been and continue to be standard fare at diners. And like pretty much anything, there's good and bad.

I'm a lay connoisseur of hot beef sandwiches (get your mind out of the gutter, you preverts). It's the only thing I get when we're in the mood to go to a diner. I've had terrible ones with sandwich meat-style roast beef and gravy from a package, and I've had really good ones made with beef sliced from a roast, real mashed potatoes and excellent coleslaw on the side.

I see it as a satisfyingly hearty dish for cold weather. I probably have it four or five times per winter.
Chuckling at the idea that I’m any sort of “hipster”.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
It's the only thing I get when we're in the mood to go to a diner.
A 'diner' is one type of restaurant/food type I would never suggest. I can't get excited about meatloaf, coleslaw, heat lamp food, heavy stodgy food, 'hot hamburg' etc.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
A 'diner' is one type of restaurant/food type I would never suggest. I can't get excited about meatloaf, coleslaw, heat lamp food, heavy stodgy food, 'hot hamburg' etc.
I am fine with meatloaf (not diner meatloaf but good authentic meatloaf) but all the others are just grotesque!

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 1:53 AM
sick transit, gloria

How did coleslaw get lumped into this? Coleslaw can be amazing, and there are many different variants.

I'm fine with a fair amount of diner food, but one thing I can't abide by is Salisbury Steak. Just foul IMO.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:16 AM

Coleslaw is the only way I can get my children to eat their veggies.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Hot sandwiches are fine. I rarely eat them any more, but as I said, they were the height of cuisine in the Maritimes in the 1960s. They bring back some great memories.

When you think of it, with the gravy and the fries, the hot sandwich is actually the anglo version of poutine (sans the cheese curds).

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:40 AM

I like coleslaw and find "Gaucomole" overrated and gross. Guess i'm just a weirdo

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:50 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
If you consider some of those places "overpriced", I'm not sure how you'd deal with a real restaurant.
Real restaurants have good food that is worth the price premium. Honestly I eat in fancy restaurants 2-3 times a month, due to my occupation. The sort of places where the wine bill might be $300 per dinner party. even here, the main course is not much more than $50, with a $13 starter, and maybe a $9 dessert. With far, far, far superior food.

one of the few benefits of academia (after spending years working myself up the food chain) is that I take out guest speakers and applicants for nice dinners (so called wine and dine).

Last edited by MolsonExport; May 30, 2020 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Real restaurants have good food that is worth the price premium. Honestly I eat in fancy restaurants 2-3 times a month, due to my occupation. The sort of places where the wine bill might be $300 per dinner party. even here, the main course is not much more than $50, with a $13 starter, and maybe a $9 dessert. With far, far, far superior food.

one of the few benefit of academia (after spending years working myself up the food chain) is that I take out guest speakers and applicants for nice dinners (so called wine and dine).
My job also allows me to to eat at fancy restaurants, but I am also at the mercy of my clients (thus the "Turdger" I had at Kelsey's, and Turtle Hack's). I have made poor choices on my own though (Trafalgar Steakhouse and Scores were just me in a rush to eat). I also had Great Canadian Bagel food when I had the flu in London and just wanted to get home, tasted like leftovers from Tim's .

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 3:02 AM
sick transit, gloria

I eat out.. a lot. Well, obviously not so much now but we are still getting frequent takeout from some pretty nice places that normally wouldn't do so.

When I refer to shitty chains as being overpriced I mean that they are often at a price point not too far removed from where I normally go in Toronto for much better food (there are obviously much more expensive independent places). Also drinks are absurdly priced - not paying the same amount for a Keith's as I would an actually good craft beer. I'm all for a cheap diner where the prices are commensurate for what you get, though those don't really exist anymore here. Cheap Chinese food is also great.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 10:36 AM

Yes, "hot chicken/turkey/beef/pork" sandwiches were considered "soul food" here. Probably still are by older folks. I admit I rather like them. Especially if they stick a layer of stuffing/dressing in there.

*Joey mode* "Meat? Good. Bread? Good. Gravy? Good. Fries? Good."

See? Involved the word "soul". So it's still on topic, right?

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 11:14 AM

re: Scores restaurant.

As soul sucking as chains like these are, I must confess my wife and I have a "go to" from this chain..We've never eaten inside, nor had anything else but the lowly hot chicken gravy sandwich via take out on some winter evenings.It's a good value,and it's all white meat. I forget how we discovered this little menu gem, but it's the only item we ever order from there. They never give you enough peas though.

So I'm going to put myself out there and here's my go to list of take out items from those soul sucking restaurant chains, and no it's not a Monday - Friday thing..We seldom eat out.

Scores - Hot Chicken samich
Swiss Chalet- Ribs
Harvey's - Cheesburger loaded.
A&W- Breakfast sandwich and hashbrowns are decent.
Pizza Hut - Panzeroti (if they still make them).
Pizza pizza - the cardboard box itself..Throw out the pizza
BP- Tell them to use a Pizza Pizza box if you order from there, so your expectations won't be raised.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 12:30 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Cole slaw is delicious but must be the vinegar-y kind, not the mayonnaise-y kind.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada