HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 1:11 AM

The latest homicide was another artist from the Hip Hop scene in Toronto who i was a fan of. His name is Houdini...Toronto’s hip hop scene is a very dangerous business to be in, way too many have been murdered over the past few years.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 1:12 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuelzJones View Post
The latest homicide was another artist from the Hip Hop scene in Toronto who i was a fan of. His name is Houdini...Toronto’s hip hop scene is a very dangerous business to be in, way too many have been murdered over the past few years.
Fuelled by greed and jealousy, every business can be dangerous...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 10:54 PM

A 24 year old man, identified as Sami Abdallah Saleh, shot and killed in the wee hours last night at an apartment on Ottawa's west end. I think that makes 6 homicides so far this year.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 7:12 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A 24 year old man, identified as Sami Abdallah Saleh, shot and killed in the wee hours last night at an apartment on Ottawa's west end. I think that makes 6 homicides so far this year.
They've caught up to Thunder Bay! We're also at six. I no longer have interest in tracking them but most involve people who aren't actually from here, the latest was some gang members from Toronto killing a guy from Victoria, they were all living at a shitty motel downtown.

A recent drug bust in the city saw several Torontonians and a Brit arrested. First time that a UK national has been arrested for drug trafficing as far as I know. The vast majority of newsworthy arrests here are Toronto gang members these days, the Ottawa area gangs seem to have quieted down.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Update: Ottawa police are now calling this death a "misadventure", i.e. he accidentally shot himself.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 2:00 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/mor...ters-1.4991266
Horrific crash!
It wasn’t exactly homicide but criminal negligence causing death x4.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 2:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
They've caught up to Thunder Bay! We're also at six. I no longer have interest in tracking them but most involve people who aren't actually from here, the latest was some gang members from Toronto killing a guy from Victoria, they were all living at a shitty motel downtown.

A recent drug bust in the city saw several Torontonians and a Brit arrested. First time that a UK national has been arrested for drug trafficing as far as I know. The vast majority of newsworthy arrests here are Toronto gang members these days, the Ottawa area gangs seem to have quieted down.
Why are Toronto and Ottawa gangs fighting over Thunder Bay turf?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 3:06 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Why are Toronto and Ottawa gangs fighting over Thunder Bay turf?
Now O.P.P. will view every non-local passenger vehicle on the Thunder Bay - Nipigon Corridor with suspicion...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 3:37 PM

Organized Crime are always looking for new rackets to make money. The Mafia in NYC used to control the garbage trucks in the city and made a lot of money off it.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 1:45 AM
I am a typical

Because of Thunder Bay's remoteness, access to illicit drugs is reduced here. On the fly-in reserves, it's even further reduced. So they can get more money for the same drugs by coming up here and selling the drugs to people here. They also run the prostitutes, so we've got a lot of east Indian prostitutes suddenly.

Typically, the gang members that do get sent up here are the ones that have done something to piss off the gang leaders down south and this is punishment. They hate being up here because we don't have "anything to do". And with all the murders of GTA gang members by other GTA gang members, I feel like they're kind of using the city as a dumping ground of sorts. If they get sent up here as punishment and still fuck up, they just kill them. A few have happened in the middle of the street in broad daylight. No significant risk to the general population (random homicides are still very low, and we've only had 2 or 3 murders involving long-time residents this year), but for a small city, it's very alarming.

A lot of cars from the south do get pulled over on the highway up here about once a week or so, and they often get busted at the airport. For the northern reserves, they co-operate with native gangs. If Phillip Kwaku Nkrumah (recently arrested for drug trafficking) shows up in Eabametoong with "prescriptions", it's pretty conspicuous. The ability to shuttle between Thunder Bay and Toronto via airlines frequently also makes catching them difficult, quite a few times the police have caught someone just as they were boarding a plane back to Toronto. They time the crimes to shortly before a flight and then run away, and once they're in the GTA it's harder to find them.

The issue has also gotten worse since the TPS got funding to investigate gang activity (TBPS also applied but was denied), so some of them are fleeing here to escape that.

Higher up gang members are living in some of the cities nicest neighbourhoods (you can buy a McMansion for under $500,000) too, and occasionally they get raided which shocks all the upper middle class white people. When the gangs were controlled by motorcycle gangs in the 80s, they usually had their leaders living on acreages in the semi-rural fringe.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Typically, the gang members that do get sent up here are the ones that have done something to piss off the gang leaders down south and this is punishment. They hate being up here because we don't have "anything to do".
LOL! May I suggest the Toronto Bosses start shipping them off to Okotoks instead?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 4:15 AM
I am a typical

O? Are there things to do there?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 10:43 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Because of Thunder Bay's remoteness, access to illicit drugs is reduced here. On the fly-in reserves, it's even further reduced. So they can get more money for the same drugs by coming up here and selling the drugs to people here. They also run the prostitutes, so we've got a lot of east Indian prostitutes suddenly.

Typically, the gang members that do get sent up here are the ones that have done something to piss off the gang leaders down south and this is punishment. They hate being up here because we don't have "anything to do". And with all the murders of GTA gang members by other GTA gang members, I feel like they're kind of using the city as a dumping ground of sorts. If they get sent up here as punishment and still fuck up, they just kill them. A few have happened in the middle of the street in broad daylight. No significant risk to the general population (random homicides are still very low, and we've only had 2 or 3 murders involving long-time residents this year), but for a small city, it's very alarming.

A lot of cars from the south do get pulled over on the highway up here about once a week or so, and they often get busted at the airport. .
Sounds like profiling to me.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 11:27 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sometimes "profiling" makes sense, although it isn't politically correct to say so.

Is searching a black guy trying to get into a northern native reserve profiling? I suppose it is, but why is he there in the first place? I would call it reasonable suspicion..........

And to be clear, I'm talking about a young black guy decked out in gangsta gear, with hip-hop playing on his car stereo at 130 dB. An older black gentleman in hip waders and carrying fishing gear, or a young black physician entering the reserve to provide medical care should be beyond suspicion and should not be stopped.

Again, reasonable suspicion, not profiling purely on the basis of race..........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 21, 2020 at 11:53 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 1:15 PM

I suspect that if you look at a map and think of illicit drugs, guns, etc being moved across the country, Thunder Bay's issues with outside gangs become clearer. I'd wager that the access to NWOntario First Nations is just a sideline.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 11:16 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, they're pulling over cars that drive dangerously or erratically, or have flagged licence plates or the description of the vehicle has been given by another police force to the OPP.

They're not just pulling over every brown person driving up here, most actually make it up unscathed. They're getting 1-2 a week of probably over 100 vehicles.

For the far north, I mean, racial profile infiltrates every aspect of their life and there's incredible resistance to eliminating it, so why not take advantage of it themselves? That's the tool in the toolbox, after all.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 3:14 AM

Quote:
O? Are there things to do there?
Okotoks took some ribbing for adopting the tourism slogan "There are a number of things to do in Okotoks":

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...tter-1.3241656

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 12:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yes, they're pulling over cars that drive dangerously or erratically, or have flagged licence plates or the description of the vehicle has been given by another police force to the OPP.

They're not just pulling over every brown person driving up here, most actually make it up unscathed. They're getting 1-2 a week of probably over 100 vehicles.

For the far north, I mean, racial profile infiltrates every aspect of their life and there's incredible resistance to eliminating it, so why not take advantage of it themselves? That's the tool in the toolbox, after all.
So you're kinda OK with profiling if it supports broader communityobjectives that you consider desirable?

Isn't that precisely what people in other places have in mind when they justify profiling?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 12:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

And to be clear, I'm talking about a young black guy decked out in gangsta gear, with hip-hop playing on his car stereo at 130 dB. .........
But even if he does look like that, what happens if that black guy just happens to be an electrician's apprentice on his weekend off coming into the community or reserve to visit his indigenous girlfriend and her family?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:07 AM
I am a typical

Its the gangs making the conscious decision to not attempt to send their black members up there, and not the airlines preventing them. They know that authorities profile them because it happens in Toronto, and they have no reason to believe it doesn't happen here.

It's also kind of tricky to sneak into a community when you're the only black guy on a plane with 11 natives who barely speak English, but I guess that's hypocritical of me to say, too? Maybe you can come up with some solutions to the drug crisis up north instead of trying to trip me up and accuse me of being unprincipled or racist?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada