HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 4:25 AM
surely you agree with me

there isnt enough development pressure for an office tower at that height in winnipeg...if that happens it will either be residential or a mixed use building...some combination of office/hotel/residential.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
ok....third try.

Looks good - can you post the original beside it too, as a comparison of today and approx. 2013?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 6:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea well eatons had hydro beat for that though lol

shot from the roof of where the winnipeg hacker space is located aka skullspace a proud member
canadas largest hackerspace and prolly north amaricas largest

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
hydro has the floor area of a typical 150m+ tall building (700 000 s.f.)....you can see by the image above how huge the floor plates are...more than twice what is typical.

if it had the same floor sizes as the buildings at portage and main (+/- 15000 s.f.) it would have had 45 stories.

stupid hydro.
You sound disappointed TV.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 7:18 AM
Transit Nerd

Speaking of 45 floor buildings, any more towers in the works, or rumours or being held "confidential" til disclosed?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 2:06 PM

Last edited by Larch; Apr 28, 2022 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
My apologies, I meant which city in this section (ie. the section about cities in Manitoba, and cities at the bottom of that giant pit between Manitoba and Alberta).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larch View Posthow insightfully douchey of you.
let me guess, you live in either calgary or vancouver, and you base your opinion of places you've never been to strictly on the phallic reach (and/or perceived shortcomings) of their skyline
No I think he's from Vancouver home of the viewcone

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 4:39 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
oh haha

surely Brandon MB will get the first

i kid, i kid...likely in this case, it would be Winnipeg.

Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Regina are the biggest cities in this section, and while Regina has an absolutely (and unarguably) amazing skyline for a city of 200k, I do not see Regina getting a 150m or taller building soon, and neither Saskatoon. Realistically, unless someone who lives there can extrapolate or argue further/better, the cities are too small to have private development on that scale. Regina would have the better shot imo, because that's where head offices tend to go, but if I'm even a housing developer, I'd rather build further out on cheaper land in multiple units rather than build a hypothetical 150m tower downtown in the city somewhere. Perhaps something happens on the oil sands side of things and Saskatchewan gets a new crown corp-level company in the next 20 years, and they build a brand new tower in Regina...that is entirely possible...but it likely won't be over 150m unless Regina had some magical population boom or there is enough workforce for this company in Regina such that it makes sense to build up a tower that tall.

To that end, simply because Winnipeg is bigger today and is the fastest growing city under a million people in Canada, it likely has the better and more realistic shot. Not to turn this into a poo fling contest or x city is better than y city, but realistically Winnipeg would get one first.

In fact, the hydro building could have become a tall 150+ meter building if they went with this proposal instead of the much more energy efficient building we know today (http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=25691) and it would have been ~170m tall.

That said, Winnipeg needs to focus on filling up those parking lots first, and who knows when we'd get a 150m plus tower. Unless you strap viking to an electrical chair and he spills the beans, of course.
You're correct on most points except for growth. Latest figures just released by statscanada state that Saskatoon is the fastest growing city in Canada, Vancouver is 2nd and Regina is 3rd.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 7:55 PM

@UPP & Larch,

thanks for the correction - yeah I had it wrong - I meant in terms of net people, not rates but by my wording ("Fastest growing city") implies rates by nature, to which extent, I was incorrect,

but I meant to say, was for cities under a million in Canada, Winnipeg grew by the most people in raw numbers, net wise - rather than in terms of rates. I recall Saskatoon and Regina were both some ridiculously high rates, and their populations were much higher than projected in 2006, by both stat can and the respective city projections (215k for Regina and 265k for Saskatoon I believe) only growing faster by the year.

Ultimately both Manitoba and Saskatchewan are turning into surprises both economically and on a population growth basis than many would have predicted in both 2001 and 2006.

For instance, in 2001 people were estimating Winnipeg would move down to 10th or even 11th on the CMA chart...

And I wonder how Regina and Saskatoon would be fairing today had Saskatchewan not lost a ton of people to Alberta?

My cousin in Calgary once told me that over a quarter million people from Saskatchewan are in Alberta alone...I don't know if he meant between Edmonton and Calgary primarily, in Calgary itself, or inter-dispersed throughout AB, because I was shocked at that statistic. Anyone from Sask know more about that?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 8:14 PM

^ A common joke around here is that Calgary is Saskatchewan's largest city. A reference to the number of SK expats in Alberta of course.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larch View Post
how insightfully douchey of you.
let me guess, you live in either calgary or vancouver, and you base your opinion of places you've never been to strictly on the phallic reach (and/or perceived shortcomings) of their skyline

rolleyes indeed
Good lord man, do you need an icepack? Sorry, I haven't been to Saskatchewan, there is nothing for me there. But it doesn't mean I don't take interest in the development of the two main cities in the province. I'm not going to dive into the details of things, but I like to keep track of what's there, and what to expect in the future.

Up until 2008, at a population of 2.2 million, Vancouver also didn't have a building over 150 meters either. So if you're so concerned about my opinion of you're regions "phallic reach," why aren't you considering it a compliment that I'm curious to see if there are any 150 meter proposals coming down the pipe? Especially for cities that are anywhere from 1/12th to 1/3rd Vancouver's size?

Quote:
anyway roccerfeller's right, it would be winnipeg, then regina, then saskatoon. winnipeg based on its size (though i'm pretty sure saskatoon continues to be the fastest growing city in the country), regina based on the fact that its skyline-equals-identity, and then saskatoon probably never since that scale wouldn't work in the valley, at least for the foreseeable future.
Alright, different question then, what will Winnipeg hit first? 150 meters or 1 million pop? And I was always under the impression that Regina and Saskatoon were of similar size, both in population and general appearance and size of their skylines. If regina is almost 50 000 smaller than Saskatoon, how did it end up getting the larger and more identifiable skyline?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 11:04 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Good lord man, do you need an icepack? Sorry, I haven't been to Saskatchewan, there is nothing for me there. But it doesn't mean I don't take interest in the development of the two main cities in the province. I'm not going to dive into the details of things, but I like to keep track of what's there, and what to expect in the future.

Up until 2008, at a population of 2.2 million, Vancouver also didn't have a building over 150 meters either. So if you're so concerned about my opinion of you're regions "phallic reach," why aren't you considering it a compliment that I'm curious to see if there are any 150 meter proposals coming down the pipe? Especially for cities that are anywhere from 1/12th to 1/3rd Vancouver's size?

Alright, different question then, what will Winnipeg hit first? 150 meters or 1 million pop? And I was always under the impression that Regina and Saskatoon were of similar size, both in population and general appearance and size of their skylines. If regina is almost 50 000 smaller than Saskatoon, how did it end up getting the larger and more identifiable skyline?
150 metres, since Winnipeg won't be reaching 1 million until the 2030s AND our economic outlook is looking really good lately

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
150 metres, since Winnipeg won't be reaching 1 million until the 2030s AND our economic outlook is looking really good lately
No reason to build that high here. I think we'll reach 1 million first.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 3:46 AM

A building with that height would require a large portion of the market with the amount of sq footage, especially at the cost it would go for. Also the top four floors of the Canwest Building now stand empty, so I would worry about filling our current gaps, along with replacing our parking lots with multiple low-midrise buildings to increase density first.

I personally love Ottawa's skyline, not for its height but for its density. There is not many Canadian cities with that kind of density right downtown.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 3:49 AM

Posted by a member on the second page of GCS

As apposed to

Dan Harper

Could you imagine if all of those buildings were just pushed together so that all the gaps were filled. It would look so much more dense. Our downtown has way to large of a footprint for the amount of buildings it has.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 4:08 AM

That much is true. Ottawa feels much bigger downtown then it really is.

As for building density though, don't do what Vancouver did, and build so much density that it becomes economically unfeasible to build taller in the future. Plenty of midrises-highrises downtown that could have supported true skyscrapers that probably wont be torn down for the next 25-30 years because the return isn't there.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 5:19 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
No reason to build that high here. I think we'll reach 1 million first.
Not yet, I would agree. Maybe 2025 when we get to 900,000, and have our remaining office space taken up. With an possible American default, we might get some more international business due to the AAA credit rating!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 5:47 AM

Quote:

The reason why Regina's skyline is more pronounced, despite being 50,000 fewer people than Saskatoon, is simply this: Regina is Saskatchewan's capital city, so it has the crown corp head offices and gov't jobs which require a lot of office space. Conversely, Saskatoon is home to the provincial university and, as such, has university infrastructure superior to Regina. Saskatoon's population growth has outpaced Regina by a wide margin for decades now, so my guess is that we will see many more tall buildings (with private sector tenants) constructed in the future in Saskatoon commensurate with the continued robust growth rate of Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 7:12 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
The reason why Regina's skyline is more pronounced, despite being 50,000 fewer people than Saskatoon, is simply this: Regina is Saskatchewan's capital city, so it has the crown corp head offices and gov't jobs which require a lot of office space. Conversely, Saskatoon is home to the provincial university and, as such, has university infrastructure superior to Regina. Saskatoon's population growth has outpaced Regina by a wide margin for decades now, so my guess is that we will see many more tall buildings (with private sector tenants) constructed in the future in Saskatoon commensurate with the continued robust growth rate of Saskatoon.
I think Regina would have a better chance, particularly because it is on the TransCanada, and closer to major cities (Cheyenne, WY, Calgary, Winnipeg) and the 49th parallel/US Border

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan