HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 11:32 PM

With that lighting on the Alt, it looks like downtown now has the largest public housing structure in Winnipeg. Goddamn, that building looks cheap...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 1:35 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Sure the window trim is nice, and the overall building is different from what's currently the norm here but it's pretty much complete. Can we actually verify the fin will be added, maybe they've removed the feature from the final design?

I certainly hope it's not cut out of the initial renderings and subsequent plan, much like the grand looking parkade initially proposed?
The fin will still be added. It apparently won't look exactly like the rendering but it is going on shortly.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 8:53 PM

What's everyone's thought on geothermal? We are contemplating an adaptive reuse on a rather large warehouse with the geothermal in the parking lot... What would the premium be on a ft2 basis?

I think Mere used it successfully on a Waterfront...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
What's everyone's thought on geothermal? We are contemplating an adaptive reuse on a rather large warehouse with the geothermal in the parking lot... What would the premium be on a ft2 basis?

It usually doesn't make any sense on a commercial building where tenants pay their own utilities because it's unlikely they'll pay you a rental premium even if they will see smaller energy bills. It's hugely expensive to install a geo-thermal system and it's difficult to say exactly what the premium is over the alternatives because every piece of land and every building is different.

But there's a reason it's been declining in relevance year after year. It's mostly just a boutique thing on a few houses. Everywhere it's popular has a large government subsidy program.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 4:04 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:

In my experience the payback is over 20 years for a single building....even with clients who were gung-ho to use it, I almost never have because its impossible to make the numbers work. You can put the money into a better mechanical system and get much better efficiencies and much shorter paybacks.

cheap hydro rates are to blame.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 4:05 AM
surely you agree with me

i heard yesterday that the latest suite at glasshouse sold for $515 per square foot...apparently the most expensive new build condo ever in Winnipeg.

just what I heard....cant verify if its right.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i heard yesterday that the latest suite at glasshouse sold for $515 per square foot...apparently the most expensive new build condo ever in Winnipeg.

just what I heard....cant verify if its right.
A unit sold in D Condo for over $500/sq ft a few months ago. There's always an outlier...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 5:26 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

better off figureing out how much heat is lost on those buildings from lack of insulation and dealing with that first

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 4:06 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
cheap hydro rates are to blame.
You also can't ignore that modern HVAC systems are incredibly efficient compared to their counterparts prior to 1990.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
You also can't ignore that modern HVAC systems are incredibly efficient compared to their counterparts prior to 1990.
This is the reason.

Hydro isn't cheap. And with everybody pricing in somewhere on the order of a 4% increase year over year, Hydro is becoming very expensive.

If it's your own building and you're footing the bill on an ongoing basis, you need to consider mechanical solutions - something like a gas-powered HRV if you've already got a connection into the building and tightening up your building envelope. But if it's your building and you're not paying for any of the utilities past the initial installation, then install some cheap electric heat and be done with it. Let the tenant figure out how they're going to manage their utility expenses. If it's commercial, generally you're not responsible for anything beyond the major HVAC unit, anyway. Everything from the inside of the exterior wall is the tenants responsibility with a fee payable monthly to manage the common unit.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The fin will still be added. It apparently won't look exactly like the rendering but it is going on shortly.
Great to here. It would have been unfortunate if it had been removed from the design. It's a feature that will hopefully add a focal point to the buildings exterior. Now I'm curious, you mention it will look a little different from the initial renders, maybe color as well?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 5:58 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Gas heating is far more efficient today but electrical heating has not changed. Electric heating is 100% efficient and always has been, but it is still by far the most expensive choice.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Great to here. It would have been unfortunate if it had been removed from the design. It's a feature that will hopefully add a focal point to the buildings exterior. Now I'm curious, you mention it will look a little different from the initial renders, maybe color as well?
I am guessing a lot smaller and probably just metal and not painted. Then it will suit the ugly tower that protrudes from the nice podium.

And for all those that keep saying wait till it's finished. It's 99% done. It's ugly!!!! It does nothing for the skyline. The podium does a lot though for the street. I would have been happier with just the podium and then you could see glass house clearly when it's done if you know what I am trying to say

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 1:37 AM

So much criticism here but I honestly think it looks just fine.. it's something new and it breaks up some monotony. Sure they could've used a different material on the hotel portion but seriously who cares? I think it looks good and I don't see a need to complain.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 2:53 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

agreed and as time goes it will get buried in the urban fabric

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 2:51 PM
What could go wrong?

While I agree it will never win any beauty contests I really like the fact that it is not another tan coloured slab. It will give the downtown some variety and density. It probably could have been executed better but it is what it is now. It might even make Glasshouse shine even more. I think what I am most disappointed with is the integration of the old bank facade with the podium. It just looks......out of place, to put it politely.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
While I agree it will never win any beauty contests I really like the fact that it is not another tan coloured slab. It will give the downtown some variety and density. It probably could have been executed better but it is what it is now. It might even make Glasshouse shine even more. I think what I am most disappointed with is the integration of the old bank facade with the podium. It just looks......out of place, to put it politely.
Well said. I agree in all respects.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:36 PM

Am I the only one bothered that Biff's new avatar is in fact Griff Tannen not Biff? He's trying to pull a fast one.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:43 PM

Lol I was thinking the same thing Chiswick!I just watched the trilogy this weekend.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 4:09 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^

......ha, ha, ha......it's funny isn't it. He is always referred to as Biff in the movies. It is where I my alias came from.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan