HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 2:50 PM
World Traveler

The scale of this thing is just massive. I drove by for the first time in person the other day. Let's just say that my construction-loving 4-year-old son and I was more impressed than my wife, haha.

When is the anticipated completion of this?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 3:09 PM

I've never seen a project as large in size and scope being constructed as fast and efficient as Giga Texas. So many moving pieces and delivery piles covering the site, so many cranes working. Check out some of the YouTube drone footage and be amazed

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury6 View Post
I've never seen a project as large in size and scope being constructed as fast and efficient as Giga Texas. So many moving pieces and delivery piles covering the site, so many cranes working. Check out some of the YouTube drone footage and be amazed
I suppose to be fair though, the Gigafactory is much closer to being one gigantic room no? I would think beyond the specific finish-out to actually install the "car-making" equipment, the construction itself is quite a bit simpler than say, a 40-floor building downtown with equal square footage....

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 4:13 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
I suppose to be fair though, the Gigafactory is much closer to being one gigantic room no? I would think beyond the specific finish-out to actually install the "car-making" equipment, the construction itself is quite a bit simpler than say, a 40-floor building downtown with equal square footage....
Much simpler than a skyscraper, yes. However, I think it's more accurately described as three buildings sharing a single roof. So essentially three gigantic rooms with a couple of large covered areas running between them. I think I remember reading that on here or somewhere else.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 5:42 PM

Elon Musk's Neuralink may put roots down in Austin

Quote:
By Kathryn Hardison
Jan 6th. 2021

The opportunities of Central Texas seem to keep luring companies owned by multi-billionaire Elon Musk.

Neuralink Corp. — a startup focused on creating brain implants to treat neurological issues such as paralysis — has posted a job opening on its website for a “head of construction” in Austin. If the position is filled, this would mark the fourth of Elon Musk's companies to put roots down in Texas.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-interest.html

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
No, it's the construction strategy, it's incredible. Plenty of videos on YouTube explain Tesla's construction speed and efficiency. Let's be honest, many companies would still be waiting to break ground or clear land at only 6 months since announcing the project.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 8:46 PM

I watched the construction of the huge Living Spaces warehouse and showroom. They started by pouring the entire slab before any of the structure was put up. This factory started a bit different by pouring footings for the eyebeam installations which still leaves a cement pour for the rest of the floor. With so many construction projects going on, its fascinating to watch all the different construction techniques.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 2:01 AM

As of today, the richest person in the world lives in Austin.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
As of today, the richest person in the world lives in Austin.
Has he hired an apartment locator yet?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Has he hired an apartment locator yet?
According to that Silicon Hills article posted in the economic thread, he is couch surfing at the home of a friend of that VC rich guy who also recently moved here from Silicon Valley.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 3:33 AM

Just for those who don't watch the drone videos...lots of cranes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hQ3...el=JeffRoberts

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
According to that Silicon Hills article posted in the economic thread, he is couch surfing at the home of a friend of that VC rich guy who also recently moved here from Silicon Valley.
I think couch surfing is a stretch. It is more likely he is living in a guest house larger than any of our houses, with its own pool and a view of Lake Travis.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I think couch surfing is a stretch. It is more likely he is living in a guest house larger than any of our houses, with its own pool and a view of Lake Travis.
Very presumptious of you to assume that the users of this forum are not also multi-billionaires with lakeside estates.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I thought it would be obvious that the term "couch surfing" was tongue in cheek.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 5:38 PM
World Traveler

It's probably a really big, nice, and comfortable couch.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 5:38 PM

I think I just heard that Musk overtook Bezos as the world's richest person with assets worth over $190 Billion. I respect that. If it was easy to have even just one billion, everyone would be billionaires. I find Musk predictably yet refreshingly eccentric.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 8:19 PM

Well, I’ll have more respect for the guy if I see him eating tacos from a food truck on South 1st.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 11:05 PM

He supposedly lives in that black RV/Bus you see in some of the drone videos.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
He supposedly lives in that black RV/Bus you see in some of the drone videos.
That might be true. There had been reports in the past that he had been sleeping in his Freemont factory quite often when the crunch was on to put out the model 3. He could be doing the same during the ultra-fast push to get this gigafactory pumping out Cybertrucks.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
That might be true. There had been reports in the past that he had been sleeping in his Freemont factory quite often when the crunch was on to put out the model 3. He could be doing the same during the ultra-fast push to get this gigafactory pumping out Cybertrucks.
At least no one can tell him he can't light up a doob in the RV like they could if he stayed at a hotel. I'm going with this one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin