HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 2:03 PM

Winnipeg has had a pretty good track record of saving the remaining stock of older buildings in the 20 years or so, but it is an unfortunate reality that some, like this one, may have simply been neglected for too long and ended up slipping through the cracks.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
That's heartbreaking! It's not just a beautiful building on its own, but also a beautiful terminating vista for Rupert Ave. Is there nothing that can be done to stabilize it?
We will have to see if the engineers can figure something out...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
We will have to see if the engineers can figure something out...
Was the work that affected it from what's currently happening next door or from way back? Any idea if it was already having issues and this just recently made it worse, or is there fault/neglect on the renovations next door?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 5:29 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
That's heartbreaking! It's not just a beautiful building on its own, but also a beautiful terminating vista for Rupert Ave. Is there nothing that can be done to stabilize it?
If it's really bad, I'd be ok with a facadectomy
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
If it's really bad, I'd be ok with a facadectomy
Not a bad idea. According to the Heritage Committee's report, the building was heavily damaged by fire a long time ago, so the interior is just a drab 1930s budget fix-up. It's remarkably ugly inside compared to the grandeur of the exterior. A facadectomy would be a nice way to keep the building's best feature.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not a bad idea. According to the Heritage Committee's report, the building was heavily damaged by fire a long time ago, so the interior is just a drab 1930s budget fix-up. It's remarkably ugly inside compared to the grandeur of the exterior. A facadectomy would be a nice way to keep the building's best feature.
Works for me

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 6:01 PM
BANNED

friday knights clothing got a cease and desist letter from the city for selling a sweater with the CofW logo.. here's what local businesses in the exchange actually have issue with, despite the media constantly trying to make it about bike lanes.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
friday knights clothing got a cease and desist letter from the city for selling a sweater with the CofW logo.. here's what local businesses in the exchange actually have issue with, despite the media constantly trying to make it about bike lanes.

You couldn't expect the City to let that go. They have to protect their trademarks, same as any other organization.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 8:05 PM

Yeah, Friday Knights is clearly in the wrong here. If they had reinterpreted or changed the logo noticeably it's one thing, but they fully took the entirety of the logo and just turned some of the letters into outlines. That's clear copyright infringement.

Now if the CoW had any innovation or creativity or smarts, they would start selling merch as a new revenue stream – and collab with local businesses such as Friday Knights for special edition gear, such as this.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
You couldn't expect the City to let that go. They have to protect their trademarks, same as any other organization.
100% but couriering the letter to them on December 31st and giving them until January 3rd to respond? Real nice. Were they compensating for the holiday?

It just happened to be Friday Knights' last day with retail space.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Now if the CoW had any innovation or creativity or smarts, they would start selling merch as a new revenue stream – and collab with local businesses such as Friday Knights for special edition gear, such as this.
There's no reason for this product (the sweater) not to exist except the trademark technicality; it's a nice pro-Winnipeg design and it's not offensive to anybody. I wonder if Friday Knights ever reached out to the City at all. For a business that does so many brand collaborations, that shouldn't have been weird. For the City to reject the idea would have been a lost opportunity for mutual good publicity. It's not like the City has a surfeit of that.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 7:59 AM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Jan 5, 2020 at 8:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 8:18 AM

Instagram

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 7:41 PM
Formerly rypinion

The winds last night weren't too kind to the Tyvek on the south side of the pumphouse construction.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 5:51 PM

The west side of the pumphouse buildings looks.... bleak.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Amazing to see a design with this much deference to the surrounding buildings. Like, no disregard for scale, no attempts at reimagining the way we think of cantilevers or anything.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:17 PM

I think I would have preferred a little more contrast.. maybe full-glass curtain wall, something like that. The corrugated metal doesn't look all that great IMO.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:38 PM

I was going to comment on the Pump House. I was by the site this morning. The building itself fit's very well with the surroundings. I'm still not sold on the stilts. But overall the building looks like a nice fit! The court yard within the stilts will bean interesting space.

I'm not too worried about the side of the building having no windows and just cladding. I guess we'll see how the black corrugated metal turns out. Funny the Princess building looks like it uses the same cladding. Same developers/designers?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 9:45 PM

^Yeah, same architects. The Princess building will still be getting the metal beam treatment seen in renders. You can see the mounts for them.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I was going to comment on the Pump House. I was by the site this morning. The building itself fit's very well with the surroundings. I'm still not sold on the stilts. But overall the building looks like a nice fit! The court yard within the stilts will bean interesting space.

I'm not too worried about the side of the building having no windows and just cladding. I guess we'll see how the black corrugated metal turns out. Funny the Princess building looks like it uses the same cladding. Same developers/designers?
Yes like Buzzg said same architect (546...) different developers. I agree with your statement it does fit in very nicely, the stilts are definitely unique, the back of the building will have be a bit more visual appeal once the outside staircases and external hallways are added on, I think it will turn out great. However I do wonder what kind of light treatment the plaza space will get, its quit dark with zero sunlight penetration.

I’m looking forward to the steel beams going up at the princess site, should look pretty cool.
My sister was recently visiting the city, when we went down there her first comment was “I love the black!”.

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan