HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I thought I'd do a quick survey of highrise buildings in the last few decades.

1980's: 10+ buildings built over 10 stories (3 over 20 stories)
1980?: 13-story Maverick Center (185 South State)
1980?: 13-story tower on SE corner 2nd s. & state
1980?: 15 story Century Link bldg. 2nd s. and 2nd East
1980?: 14 story tower on 1st south & 5th East
1980?: 11 story condo tower at Emigration Canyon
1981: 16 story Marriott Downtown
1981?: 19 story Key Bank tower (now demolished)
1982: 26 story American Towers North
1982: 26 story American Towers South
1983: 18 story Hilton Hotel
1983?: 13 story Medi City tower on 2nd s. & 3rd East
1983?: 10 story Governors Condo Tower
1984: 15 story US Bank Bldg.
1985: 15 story Radisson Hotel (on S. Temple & 3rd West adj. to
Salt Palace)
1986: 22 story World Trade Center on SW corner of S. Temple &
State)
(Proposed but never built: (2) 40 story towers at Triad Center)

1990's: 5 buildings built over 10 stories (3 over 20 stories)
1991: 24 story One Utah Center
1992: 13 story Broadway Center
1992: Delta Center(10 stories tall)
1997: 20 story Gateway Tower West
1997: 24 story American Stores/ Wells Fargo Tower

2000's: 4 buildings built over 10 stories ( 2 over 20 stories)
2000: 24 story Grand America Hotel
2001: 12 story apartment tower at The Gateway
2005: 12 story IHC hospital tower (built in suburban Murray)
2009: 22 story 222 Main

2010's: 6-7 buildings built over 10 stories (3 over 20 stories)
2010: 10-story Richards Court East
2010: 10-story Richards Court West
2011: 30-story 99 West (The Promontory)
2011: 20-story Tower 5/ The Regent
2014: 14-story US Courthouse
2016: 24 story 111 Main
2018: 10-story Mountain America CU in suburban Sandy
(Proposed but never built: 20 story Regent Hotel; 24 story
Millenium Tower; 35-40 story Mystery Glass Tower; 20 story
Tower 2; 40-story hotel by Frank Gehry in Lehi)

2020's: 3 buildings under construction(U/C) over 20 stories (6 other
buildings proposed (P) over 20 stories)

2021: 24 story 95 State (U/C)
2021: 20 story Liberty Sky (U/C)
2022: 26 story Hyatt Regency Convention Hotel (U/C)
2022: 10 story hotel at West Quarter (U/C)
2022: 10 story apartment bldg. at West Quarter (U/C)
2022: 10 story Office tower at 650 Main St (U/C)

2022?: 10 story res. bldg. at Sears Block (P)
2023?: 40 story Kensington tower (P)
2023?: 17 story 255 s. state tower (P)
2023?: 36? story Utah Theater tower by Hines (P)
2023?: 28 story Res. Tower on NW corner W. Temple & 4th S. (P)
2023?: 25? story office tower by Hines at 450 s. Main (P)
2023?: 25? story Regent Hotel (P)
2025?: 16? story tower at West Quarter (P)
2025?: 20? story tower at West Quarter (P)
2025?: 19 story Tower 2 at City Creek, The Cascade (P)
The Glass Tower and the Gehry Tower! Forgot about those! What a time to be a member on this forum.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
And if you’re sad about the Millers “struggling financially” man oh man wait till you hear about every single small business in every downtown across the entire country. Just in time for our city’s blossoming.
I don't think anybody is really suggesting that they don't care or are unaware about that issue. I wish for nothing more than the government to step up and do their job, but they've long since proven that they couldn't care less about the working class, and the overall handling of the pandemic has been botched so disastrously, the rest of the developed world is looking at us just glad that at least they're not the U.S.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 9:54 PM

Quote:
2025?: 16? story tower at West Quarter (P)
2025?: 20? story tower at West Quarter (P)
I am not worried about some of the 2nd Phase for the West Quarter (Block 67). This is mostly because it was always planned to be done minor phases if needed.

The first portion will be the 26 story apartment tower. Next would be determined by demand either the 20+ story Commercial tower or the 13 -15 story hotel. All 3 buildings will share a podium.

Quote:
2022?: 10 story res. bldg. at Sears Block (P)
2023?: 40 story Kensington tower (P)
2023?: 17 story 255 s. state tower (P)
2023?: 36? story Utah Theater tower by Hines (P)
2023?: 28 story Res. Tower on NW corner W. Temple & 4th S. (P)
2023?: 25? story office tower by Hines at 450 s. Main (P)
2023?: 25? story Regent Hotel (P)
I think that The Cascade can be dropped from the list for the 2020's. There are at few more that could be added to this list:

30+ story apartment NE corner 3rd South 2nd East where the Tavernacle is located.
20+ story apartment approximately 625s Main
15+ story apartment NW corner 3rd South 2nd East
12+ story apartment NW corner 1st South 2nd East
10 story offce - 655 S West Temple (2nd phase Patrinely project)
10 story office/mixed use - North Temple 5th West (Salt Development)
12+ story UTA office - Central Station

I have heard of a few others as well. Primarily residential towers and at least 2 purely commercial.

I think that SLC has stepped up a level from its history and do think we will eclipse the boom of the 1980's. I don't think we will see all of the proposed projects built though but it is nice to dream.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Although I morn the loss of the Miller stability I’m happy to have a young billionaire start throwing around money in SLC. Maybe we will even get a third professional sports team out of the deal. Or, dare I hope, a Jazz championship!
I feel the sale is extremely healthy for the local economy. The Millers just owned too many things in Utah. Diversification is good.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 4:21 AM
of SLC

A Jazz championship?

Laugh my effing ass off.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I don't think anybody is really suggesting that they don't care or are unaware about that issue. I wish for nothing more than the government to step up and do their job, but they've long since proven that they couldn't care less about the working class, and the overall handling of the pandemic has been botched so disastrously, the rest of the developed world is looking at us just glad that at least they're not the U.S.
Haven't been paying much attention to world news, huh? Europe is in much the same boat as the States. The countries that are doing well are either islands or authoritarian states. Not defending the US handling of the virus, just pointing out that we're far from alone in this. Just a couple articles showing as much:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/29/europ...ntl/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/21/asia/...ess/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/30/europ...ntl/index.html

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 3:43 PM

Quote:
I thought I'd do a quick survey of highrise buildings in the last few decades.

1980's: 10+ buildings built over 10 stories (3 over 20 stories)
1980?: 13-story Maverick Center (185 South State)
1980?: 13-story tower on SE corner 2nd s. & state
1980?: 15 story Century Link bldg. 2nd s. and 2nd East
1980?: 14 story tower on 1st south & 5th East
1981?: 19 story Key Bank tower (now demolished)
1983?: 13 story Medi City tower on 2nd s. & 3rd East
1983?: 10 story Governors Condo Tower
1984: 15 story US Bank Bldg.
1985: 15 story Radisson Hotel (on S. Temple & 3rd West adj. to
Salt Palace)
1986: 22 story World Trade Center on SW corner of S. Temple &
State)

[
I hadn't previously realized how much of a boom there was in the 80s. Those aren't really tall buildings by today's standard but filling in the CBD with those 10-20 story buildings set a ground work for the 20-30+ buildings we are seeing now. Hopefully we look back on our current time a catalyst for even taller buildings in the future.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
Haven't been paying much attention to world news, huh? Europe is in much the same boat as the States. The countries that are doing well are either islands or authoritarian states. Not defending the US handling of the virus, just pointing out that we're far from alone in this. Just a couple articles showing as much:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/29/europ...ntl/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/21/asia/...ess/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/30/europ...ntl/index.html
Their case counts are still far lower than ours. Not to mention those countries are actually helping their people financially. I'm not saying other countries aren't struggling as well, but most of those countries are doing far more to help their people and small businesses than we are - not to mention they have the appropriate social services to keep their population afloat.

We could go down the rabbit hole on this topic forever so we don't have to continue that conversation. Let's just say I'm hoping for some big changes on Tuesday.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Their case counts are still far lower than ours. Not to mention those countries are actually helping their people financially. I'm not saying other countries aren't struggling as well, but most of those countries are doing far more to help their people and small businesses than we are - not to mention they have the appropriate social services to keep their population afloat.

We could go down the rabbit hole on this topic forever so we don't have to continue that conversation. Let's just say I'm hoping for some big changes on Tuesday.
This is absolutely NOT the place for this conversation and the last place people want to continue hearing about this haha. Unless we are talking about how it’s directly affecting Urban planning, architecture, Landscape architecture, environmental design, etc.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 6:16 PM

Quote:

I love how you make strong political statements and then say we shouldn't discuss them. Case counts and infection rates are not the same thing. Cases are defined as positive tests. The US tests much more than Brazil or India, so our CASE count is higher, but we don't really know about the INFECTION count. Common sense would suggest they are much higher in many other countries given that they have huge cities with dense populations and a lack of testing.

And is 2 trillion dollars not "helping financially?" Yes, some went to large corporations, but those corporations do employ vast numbers of people. Maybe it would have been more expedient to give more directly to individuals, but most people got checks and many small business got forgivable loans, so long as they didn't lay people off. The company I work for is one of them, and it absolutely helped us through a couple bad months. There will always be a debate on the proper roll of government, but to say the US government hasn't done anything to help the populace is just plain false, and everything done has to be paid for somehow eventually. Driving the nation deeper in debt has consequences too.

Keep up that hope for big changes on Tuesday, but unless a third party is elected, you won't get them. Both parties pay lip service to their constituency while consolidating power for themselves and their circles. One party may help you individually more than the other, but Washington is a shell game; "keep your eye on the ball! This is what's important!".

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 7:08 PM

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 8:25 PM

Quote:
I love how you make strong political statements and then say we shouldn't discuss them. Case counts and infection rates are not the same thing. Cases are defined as positive tests. The US tests much more than Brazil or India, so our CASE count is higher, but we don't really know about the INFECTION count. Common sense would suggest they are much higher in many other countries given that they have huge cities with dense populations and a lack of testing.

And is 2 trillion dollars not "helping financially?" Yes, some went to large corporations, but those corporations do employ vast numbers of people. Maybe it would have been more expedient to give more directly to individuals, but most people got checks and many small business got forgivable loans, so long as they didn't lay people off. The company I work for is one of them, and it absolutely helped us through a couple bad months. There will always be a debate on the proper roll of government, but to say the US government hasn't done anything to help the populace is just plain false, and everything done has to be paid for somehow eventually. Driving the nation deeper in debt has consequences too. Everyone please take this elsewhere.

Keep up that hope for big changes on Tuesday, but unless a third party is elected, you won't get them. Both parties pay lip service to their constituency while consolidating power for themselves and their circles. One party may help you individually more than the other, but Washington is a shell game; "keep your eye on the ball! This is what's important!".
Again, This is ABSOLUTELY NOT the place for this conversation and the last place people want to continue hearing about this. Unless we are talking about how it’s directly affecting Urban planning, architecture, Landscape architecture, environmental design, etc.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
Again, This is ABSOLUTELY NOT the place for this conversation and the last place people want to continue hearing about this. Unless we are talking about how it’s directly affecting Urban planning, architecture, Landscape architecture, environmental design, etc.
Apologies. I'm done, regardless of any other posts.

As a side note, I'm not going through the whole rigmarole of posting pics on this site, but the new ARUP building is virtually complete, and good progress is being made on the new Myriad building, to give a Research Park update. There has been fairly continuous construction there for several years now with the Biofire building being the last large addition.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Apologies. I'm done, regardless of any other posts.

As a side note, I'm not going through the whole rigmarole of posting pics on this site, but the new ARUP building is virtually complete, and good progress is being made on the new Myriad building, to give a Research Park update. There has been fairly continuous construction there for several years now with the Biofire building being the last large addition.
What are these buildings? I don't think any of us are familiar with them?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
What are these buildings? I don't think any of us are familiar with them?
https://www.aruplab.com/news/9-30-20...nergy-recovery

I just snapped a pic but again, I'm not on any photo hosting sites, so I don't think I can just post a pic directly from my desktop to this website, can I?

Here is Myriad's: It has been a while since I drove by it, but I think the foundation work is done at this point, and maybe it's a bit further along than that.
https://www.mhtn.com/portfolio-item/...s-building-vi/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 9:47 PM

This is potentially unsubstantiated but I heard that Salt Development (the ones that did Hardware Village and 4th West) is involved in a multifamily project just south of Trolley Square. Not sure if this is the same project that we have seen renderings for long ago.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
https://www.aruplab.com/news/9-30-20...nergy-recovery

I just snapped a pic but again, I'm not on any photo hosting sites, so I don't think I can just post a pic directly from my desktop to this website, can I?

Here is Myriad's: It has been a while since I drove by it, but I think the foundation work is done at this point, and maybe it's a bit further along than that.
https://www.mhtn.com/portfolio-item/...s-building-vi/

Just look up free image hosting websites, and there are a bunch of them. Upload your saved image to the site, and it will give you a web address or link to post in forums like this. Here is one site that I use:
https://imgbb.com/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 10:39 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Check out this proposal in Sacramento:

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=7754
As a Sacramento native, I would love to see this. But as a Sacramento native, I know it will never happen.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
I thought I'd do a survey of highrise buildings built in the last few decades or so.

1980's: almost 20 buildings built 10 stories or higher (4 at 20+ stories)
1980: 15 story Qwest /Century Link bldg. 2nd s. and 2nd East
1980: 20 story Key Bank tower (now demolished)
1982: 14 story HK tower on 1st south & 5th East
1983: 12 story Chase Tower
1983: 13 story Governors Plaza Condo Tower
1984: 15 story US Bank Bldg. on NW corner of 2nd S. & Main
1984: 14-story Parkside Tower on SE corner 2nd s. & state
1984?: 11? story Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce Building
1985: 15 story Radisson Hotel (on S. Temple & 3rd West adj. to Salt Palace)
1985: 12 story Broadway Tower apartments (3rd s. & 2nd e.)
1986: 13 story 257 Tower now Medi City tower on 2nd s. & 3rd East
1986: 22 story World Trade Center on SW corner of S. Temple & State)
1987?: 14 story University Student Apartments Tower 1 at UofU
1988?: 14 story University Student Apartments Tower 2 at UofU

1990's: 5 buildings built to 10 stories or higher (3 at 20+ stories)
1991: 24 story One Utah Center
1992: 13 story Broadway Center
1992: Delta Center(10 stories tall)
1998: 20 story Gateway Tower West
1998: 24 story American Stores/ Wells Fargo Tower
(Proposed but never built: 33 story Zions Social Hall Center (where 95 State is currently being constructed))

2000's: 5 buildings built to 10 stories or higher ( 2 at 20+ stories)
2000: 24 story Grand America Hotel
2000: 10 story office bldg at Jordan Commons in Sandy
2001: 12 story apartment tower at The Gateway
2005: 12 story IHC hospital tower (built in suburban Murray)
2009: 22 story 222 Main
(Proposed but never built: 35-40 story Mystery Glass Tower (where 11 Main now is); 20 story
Tower 2; 12-story apartment bldg for City Creek project; 40-story hotel by Frank Gehry in Lehi)

2010's: 6-7 buildings built to 10 stories or higher (3 at 20+ stories)
2010: 10-story Richards Court East
2010: 10-story Richards Court West
2011: 30-story 99 West (The Promontory)
2011: 20-story Tower 5/ The Regent
2014: 14-story US Courthouse
2016: 24 story 111 Main
2018: 10-story Mountain America CU in suburban Sandy
(Proposed but never built: 20 story Regent Hotel; 24 story
Millenium Tower)

2020's: 3 buildings under construction to 20+stories (9 other
buildings proposed to 20+ stories)

Under Construction:
2021: 24 story 95 State
2021: 20 story Liberty Sky
2022: 26 story Hyatt Regency Convention Hotel
2022: 10 story hotel at West Quarter
2022: 10 story apartment bldg. at West Quarter
2022: 10 story Office tower at 650 Main St

Proposed:
2022?: 10 story res. bldg. at Sears Block
2023?: 40 story Kensington tower
2023?: 17 story 255 s. state tower
2023?: 36? story Utah Theater tower by Hines
2023?: 28 story Res. Tower on NW corner W. Temple & 4th S.
2023?: 25? story office tower by Hines at 450 s. Main
2023?: 25? story Regent Hotel
2025?: 26 story tower at West Quarter
2025?: 16? story tower at West Quarter
2025?: 20? story tower at West Quarter
2025?: 19 story Tower 2 at City Creek, The Cascade
2025?: 30+story res. tower at NE corner of 3rd s. & 2nd E.
2025?: 20+ story apartment approximately 625s Main
2025?: 15+ story apartment NW corner 3rd South 2nd East
2025?: 12+ story apartment NW corner 1st South 2nd East (part of original City Creek Center plan)
2025?: 10 story offce - 655 S West Temple (2nd phase Patrinely project)
2025?: 10 story office/mixed use - North Temple 5th West (Salt Development)
2025?: 12+ story UTA office - Central Station
2025?: 12? story building on Red Lion hotel development maybe more 10+ story buildings
Fyi, I updated this survey from Atlas' comment and per information found on Emporis. I also forgot about the Zions Hall tower proposed in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 5:56 PM

Hi everybody, I just recently discovered this community, and am excited that there is shared interest seeing how SLC develops into an ever growing urban center.

I can't promise I'll post often, but I was inspired to take a tour around downtown a couple afternoons ago and take pictures of the various projects going on. Hope you all enjoy!

Paperbox Development
From 300 West:

From 400 West:

From 300 South:

West Quarter
From 300 West:

The Olive
From 300 South:

Post District
From SW corner of 300 W and 500 S:
Was kind of hard to get a good shot of this one, still mostly excavation/foundational work

650 Main
From 600 South:

6th and Main apartments
From 600 South:

The Exchange
From 300 East:

From 400 South:

Violin Making School Apartments
From 200 South:

Magnolia Apartments
From 300 East:

The Birdie
From 200 South:

Liberty Sky
From 200 South:

From State Street:

95 State Street
From State Street:

Hyatt Regency
From West Temple/200 South:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West