HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:19 PM

That plan for Marketlands sounds fantastic to me. Very curious to see how the funding and management of the amenity spaces is handled, as that's neither CV's nor the BIZ's mandate to run art spaces.

Also really happy to see that of the winning proposal, only the market design was kept. The private development area has very different shaped buildings, so looks like they'll go with proper design that orients to the street.

Also very curious about the U of M connection. If the design programs there are going to be heavily involved, sure would be a pain in the ass to come frequently from the main campus... Wonder if some will move, or if there's potential for collaboration with RRC?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:21 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That plan for Marketlands sounds fantastic to me. Very curious to see how the funding and management of the amenity spaces is handled, as that's neither CV's nor the BIZ's mandate to run art spaces.

Also really happy to see that of the winning proposal, only the market design was kept. The private development area has very different shaped buildings, so looks like they'll go with proper design that orients to the street.
My one major criticism of their proposal is that the proposed market space is very small. I think it would be really nice if it could actually function as a public market, which would require quite a bit more space. Maybe that could be in the cards for the northern portion of the site?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:59 PM

I'm not anti-arts but I get skeptical when such developments are so pro-art. While it is further north than preferred business spots in the exchange, it's not far from RRC.

I just don't want our city to prop up a neat idea that doesn't garner traffic when perhaps business could be doing a better job of generating activity.

That's just my fear.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:08 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
I completely agree TV.

If RRC has a plan or need imminent, great. If not, let the open market take a stab at it. That being said, with the RRC innovation centre now above ground, the college could very well already have a plan for its next move in the Exchange. It's not like this land becoming available is a surprise. With Elgin set to become closed off to create more of a campus feel, a building across Princess would be a smart play.

Whatever happens I hope to hell that aside from the market, the rest of the Marketlands plan is completely scrapped and the buildings are developed to front onto King and Princess. I'm very nervous.
The buildings to the north are just placeholders representing the different parcels that it can be broken into. I agree. I hope they have strong street edge in the end.

Last edited by trueviking; Jun 19, 2019 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:49 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:

Also very curious about the U of M connection. If the design programs there are going to be heavily involved, sure would be a pain in the ass to come frequently from the main campus... Wonder if some will move, or if there's potential for collaboration with RRC?
I doubt they'd move an entire studio downtown, but they do have first year workshops downtown for a few weeks (when I went it was in the former Hut K on princess), maybe int he future they would integrate it more deeply with this space.

I think what is most likely is that some studios will exhibit work there. some of the projects we do are imagining Winnipeg in new ways so I could see that being displayed to help further design engagement. I know already that one of the interior design studios actually used an imaginary version of this space as there project.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I'm not anti-arts but I get skeptical when such developments are so pro-art. While it is further north than preferred business spots in the exchange, it's not far from RRC.

I just don't want our city to prop up a neat idea that doesn't garner traffic when perhaps business could be doing a better job of generating activity.

That's just my fear.
The arts stuff is on the southern third of the site, which is under a caveat that requires it to have a public use. The rest of the site is marked for private development, so plenty of space for business to flex its muscles.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
The arts stuff is on the southern third of the site, which is under a caveat that requires it to have a public use. The rest of the site is marked for private development, so plenty of space for business to flex its muscles.
I read too quickly.

Not smart to squeeze my SSP fix in between meetings :p

Thx!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 10:19 PM

Would be nice to raise the intersection of William and King, so there's a really good/cool built-in ability to connect OMS and NMS (I have dubbed this New Market Square) for large events and festivals, when King is often closed anyway.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 10:51 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Would be nice to raise the intersection of William and King, so there's a really good/cool built-in ability to connect OMS and NMS (I have dubbed this New Market Square) for large events and festivals, when King is often closed anyway.
They should just raise king from bannatyne to william and then raise william along the length of that block too for even more integration
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
If not, let the open market take a stab at it.
I thought what led to this mess was that there were some sorts of conditions placed on the transfer of the land by the Ross family to the city in the 1800s. The city only gets to keep it if it's for public use.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 11:52 PM

This will sound terrible, but will 100+ Manitoba Housing units atop the Market Lands site make the adjoining northern site less appealing for development?

Is this how public housing is still built these days -- a single large building with all subsidized housing? I thought the trend was toward mixed-use and mixed-income housing. Perhaps impossible given the restrictions on the land?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I thought what led to this mess was that there were some sorts of conditions placed on the transfer of the land by the Ross family to the city in the 1800s. The city only gets to keep it if it's for public use.
Only for the the southern part of the site the northern portion will be developed privately, that could include RRC should they put forth a bid once the RFP is issued.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
This will sound terrible, but will 100+ Manitoba Housing units atop the Market Lands site make the adjoining northern site less appealing for development?
It honestly sounds like the potential creation of a new inner city ghetto.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:15 AM

Marketlands

I don’t see the report on Centreventures.com or marketlands.ca

Where is it found pls?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I don’t see the report on Centreventures.com or marketlands.ca

Where is it found pls?
https://www.scribd.com/document/4137...-Lands-Project

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:04 AM

Quote:

Is this how public housing is still built these days -- a single large building with all subsidized housing? I thought the trend was toward mixed-use and mixed-income housing. Perhaps impossible given the restrictions on the land?
It’s not Manitoba Housing, no where is it mentioned that they are involved. It’s affordable housing, it wouldn’t be dissimilar to the UofW Commons. The application process I’m sure will be restrictive limiting the units to artists and possibly students (of RRC) maybe new immigrant groups, I don’t see that as a bad thing. If the development to the north has market rate rentals then this is truly a mixed use mixed income development.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:21 PM

Market lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I hit the hyperlink and was not redirected...

What webpage is it located on pls?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I hit the hyperlink and was not redirected...

What webpage is it located on pls?
It’s on the city of Winnipeg site

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...1&isMobile=yes

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
It’s not Manitoba Housing, no where is it mentioned that they are involved. It’s affordable housing, it wouldn’t be dissimilar to the UofW Commons. The application process I’m sure will be restrictive limiting the units to artists and possibly students (of RRC) maybe new immigrant groups, I don’t see that as a bad thing. If the development to the north has market rate rentals then this is truly a mixed use mixed income development.
yeah that's what I had thought it was, which should be fine. There's tons of non-profit housing in the city that doesn't have the same problems MB Housing does. Who knows why? I assume a private non-profit can be more selective in their tenants and has more ability to evict people but that's just speculation.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:07 PM

Posted this in the Exchange thread, maybe better here:

Part of me wishes the city would do something revolutionary and consider building a new park/stage on the Marketlands site, and move the new market/art centre proposal to OMS. I would just love to see some monumental change to how Bijou Park/OMS/Marketlands are planned and used. The Cube seems really poorly located now as it blocks off all of OMS from Marketlands. It's even worse during festivals as it's all backstage loading and toilets behind it.

This thought was stemming from the fact that Jazz Fest, Fringe and others are bursting at the seams for capacity at busy times now. Nuit Blanche as well was chaotic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan