HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 6:23 PM

For some reason no press release... but there was a live event on Prairieland Park's facebook page a few hrs ago that announced that their new name is The World Trade Center Saskatoon Prairieland Park. This must mean the WTC is no longer happening downtown. Ever since I heard about this WTC brand it's took bureaucracy to a whole new level haha

I'm personally more excited about the Coors Event Centre name change that this lol

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 6:58 PM

I was in Dief Park the other day playing disc golf and it looked like the entrance to the Prairieland (south east) was getting a face lift. Maybe that had something to do with the WTC announcement??

I agree....the Coors Event Centre is higher on my list! Do wish they could return the facade to something a bit more historic, but I believe that ship has sailed.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 7:00 PM

http://prairielandpark.com/prairiela...ter-saskatoon/

I really dont know what to make of this annoncement. Maybe its a good thing but its definately not a new downtown development. Oh well I guess we will have to have the least impressive wtc in the world. Saskatoon representing itself on the world stage!
. blah. Gotta be known for something I guess haha.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 7:01 PM

College and Preston Development

For those interested....got the input meeting notice today...

Thursday, Sept 13
Brunskill School - 101 Wiggins Ave (small gym)
7:00pm

I cannot go, but hope others that support the re-zone will be there in full force....

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 7:05 PM

I can't say I totally understand. It's a rebranding and partnership, I don't think it necessarily means that North Prairie would no longer be looking to build an office building downtown under the same umbrella of WTC Saskatoon. If anything, it's North Prairie trying to advance their office building through the partnership, offering preferential access to the trade and convention space for WTC tenants, as well as increased brand recognition?

I dunno.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
College and Preston Development

For those interested....got the input meeting notice today...

Thursday, Sept 13
Brunskill School - 101 Wiggins Ave (small gym)
7:00pm

I cannot go, but hope others that support the re-zone will be there in full force....
Do you live nearby prairieguy? I've read those council packages with all the letters of opposition from area residents for controversial items like Meridian's Escala. It's not often a property owner in close proximity voices support. I'd send written comments in to the city even if you can't make the meeting.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I can't say I totally understand. It's a rebranding and partnership, I don't think it necessarily means that North Prairie would no longer be looking to build an office building downtown under the same umbrella of WTC Saskatoon. If anything, it's North Prairie trying to advance their office building through the partnership, offering preferential access to the trade and convention space for WTC tenants, as well as increased brand recognition?

I dunno.
I suppose I should clarify by saying we shouldnt expect it any time soon. But I do see your point. Hopefully they are using this partnership as a way to wrangle some tenants.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I'd send written comments in to the city even if you can't make the meeting.
Good suggestion...I will send email to my city councilor. I am not a "neighbour" to the property, but it is in my neighborhood and I fully support it....even though it is North Prairie...blah....

Who knows....maybe they will surprise with a super cool rendering!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 10:07 PM

Looks like the downtown tower is still happening, Prairieland Park just posted this on their facebook page (emphasis mine):

Quote:
We are thrilled to announce the Trade and Convention Center portion of our operations will now be known as the WORLD TRADE CENTER Saskatoon at Prairieland Park. In a partnership with the WORLD TRADE CENTER Saskatoon, and their upcoming downtown tower, Prairieland Park is proud to partner to be their Trade and Convention space!
Source

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skygazer View Post
Looks like the downtown tower is still happening, Prairieland Park just posted this on their facebook page (emphasis mine):

Source
Here's the first actual article... I watched presentation this morning from Prairieland's facebook and they had ministers and everythign there... Why is our media so bad here. Or is the media sick of North Prairie haha.

"Meanwhile, Don Atchison of World Trade Centre Saskatoon said the partnership allowed them to continue plans for a downtown building knowing they don’t have to include a convention centre.

Atichson stressed it would be counterproductive and an inefficient use of their resources to go into competition with a facility that already suited their needs."

https://www.cjwwradio.com/2018/09/07...the-world-map/

um... they were planning a convention center for that tiny area? LOL what lies are these.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 1:00 AM

It's to bad they couldn't have partnered with the city (since you know TCUP is 2 blocks from their proposed building site and there are a half a dozen hotel options within walking distance) with the understanding that when they build the nrw convention center downtown (also likely within 2 blocks of their proposed site) that their needs be accomidated at that time. They could outsource and rent from Prarieland or Sasktel Center as needed. IDK what do you guys think, maybe the city didnt want to be in such close ties with a business (conflict of interest?). Luckily there is that new hotel that is going up across the street and I guess if they offer shuttle service to hotels downtown its really only 5 minutes down Idywyld.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 4:35 AM

Finally ... StarPhoenix makes an article:

“Atchison said the rebranding and establishment of a World Trade Center at Prairieland Park would not cause the downtown project to be scrapped.

“Heavens no,” he said. “We’re still working towards that.”

Atchison did say that 250,000 square feet of space that “we don’t have to build” was a tremendous cost-saver for establishing an official World Trade Center in the city.”

-Making it sound like the downtown office was just a side project when this rebranding changes absolutely nothing has to be the most Atchison thing I’ve heard in a while lol. These guys need to be quizzed harder by journalists - the old 30 story tower plans and now WTC downtown seem like a fantasy project by someone who can’t afford to build a tower of this scale. This city needs tax incentives to force people speculating on land downtown like this. This whole thing reminds me of the Dundurn megamall.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...nter-saskatoon

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 4:44 AM

Omg from Global News:

“Instead of us building a huge convention centre downtown and then going into competition with Prairieland, would we not be better off to invest those dollars somewhere else and in fact work in mutual benefit together,” Don Atchison, with World Trade Center Saskatoon, said.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4435295/p...ter-saskatoon/

Like... dude u guys don’t own enough land for a Trade Center downtown lol. This was never in your plan baha. Stop it!

K I’m done about my rant against these people.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 7:15 PM

So they no longer need space to build a convention centre... why do I think this is going to be an excuse to further downsize the downtown building even though convention space was not part of the original plan?

Can't wait for a nice two-storey WTC.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 11:23 PM

I don't know if has come up before but my wife drove by today and said that Orano (formerly Areva) is moving/building is for sale. I don't know if they would move away from Saskatchewan, maybe to Regina. Do you think they are taking advantage of the developments and vacancies downtown? Could they be one of the companies possibly moving into the new east tower and just unannounced or possibly to the old police station? Whats the word on the street?

I hope if they are moving they move downtown.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
I don't know if has come up before but my wife drove by today and said that Orano (formerly Areva) is moving/building is for sale. I don't know if they would move away from Saskatchewan, maybe to Regina. Do you think they are taking advantage of the developments and vacancies downtown? Could they be one of the companies possibly moving into the new east tower and just unannounced or possibly to the old police station? Whats the word on the street?

I hope if they are moving they move downtown.
Would be exciting to see them move downtown, but uranium sure isn’t a hot market nor has much of a solid growth projection in the long term... definitely would be exciting to see some sort of downtown office for these companies though - be it just executives or whatever. A good example is ADM - their head office staff work in a Chicago but their main staff work in Decatur IL.

Orano sure has a nice building just outside of Paris: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orano

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time 

Zara still doesn’t have a store in Winnipeg. I find it hard to believe Zara would open in Saskatoon before Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Hey Winnipeg still doesn't have a Cactus Club. Saskatoon is fetch
There's lots of examples of restaurants that've opened in Saskatchewan but not in Manitoba.
Shoeless Joe's, Mucho Burrito, Carl's Jr, Milestones... Fuddruckers & Chillies are in Saskatchewan but none in Manitoba. Hell, Popeyes Louisiana Chicken opened in even Prince Albert before Winnipeg.

Can't use province population size as determining factor for which province gets first of anything.
As mentioned before Saskatchewan has larger GDP and more disposable income per capita than Manitoba.

Halifax has a Zara even though smaller city population size (larger airport though) than Winnipeg. Saskatoon could easily get a Zara before Winnipeg.

Last edited by SaskScraper; Sep 9, 2018 at 10:19 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 6:20 PM

So I did a little asking around about Orano. I think they are rebuilding next door. It too bad if its true. The city has the power to make downtown more attractive but stilll haven't. It's not all about developers. gotta get the businesses on board too or nothing will develop. First come the jobs then come the condos.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 6:50 PM

Theres a yellow fence around the proposed baydo apt tower on broadway/main. Is this project going ahead?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Theres a yellow fence around the proposed baydo apt tower on broadway/main. Is this project going ahead?
Please no

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan