HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 1:55 AM

Bessborough being rebranded and getting reno’s. These renovations needed to be done a decade ago! Note how he says they’re going to “touch up” the rooms. This is not a hotel I ever recommend people stay at unfortunately. In a dire need of renovations in the rooms.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...iott-1.4793869

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskE30 View Post
You are missing the tunnel between Sask Hall and the Administration Building as well as the tunnel between the Physics and the Administration Buildings. There is also a short skywalk between the Engineering and Archeology Buildings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
As well as from Ag to Kirk Hall.
thanks for the heads up

Quote:
originally posted by roryn1
Bessborough being rebranded and getting reno’s. These renovations needed to be done a decade ago! Note how he says they’re going to “touch up” the rooms. This is not a hotel I ever recommend people stay at unfortunately. In a dire need of renovations in the rooms.

...not only should Delta Bess reno to get higher $ per night for their rooms but Delta should buy the gravel parking lot across the street on 21st, build several floors of underground parking so that it can get rid of its surface parking, expand Bess Gardens wider, but also it can build an extended hotel above ground on top of that same underground parking on that same gravel parking lot across the street for extra hotel rooms plus add convention centre space to get $ extra business from that sector as well.
An underground walkway under Spadina Cres between Bess lobby and new hotel tower would link the two buildings....sigh.. so much that Bessborough could do to solidify its reputation in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post

The dining options and lobby areas are also sub-part for an iconic hotel like this. It needs a major upgrade.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
The dining options and lobby areas are also sub-part for an iconic hotel like this. It needs a major upgrade.
Funny, I was just in the Bez this past weekend and thought this very thing about the lobby and dining/lounge options.

I hope the work involves a contemporary exterior lighting scheme for the building. The current lighting is so drab.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 7:46 PM

I predicted 2 years ago that the Bess would move to the Autograph brand http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=6140

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I predicted 2 years ago that the Bess would move to the Autograph brand http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=6140
Can't remember if I mentioned this, but I heard North Prairie had secured a hotel for World Trade Center - I'm guessing in the secondary lot next to WTC. If another hotel went downtown, what brand do you think would we get that we're missing?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Can't remember if I mentioned this, but I heard North Prairie had secured a hotel for World Trade Center - I'm guessing in the secondary lot next to WTC. If another hotel went downtown, what brand do you think would we get that we're missing?
Delta!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Don't forget that Saskatchewan has had a much higher disposable income per capita than MB for many years now. The old assumptions no longer apply.
Just as a reference on the latest average annual income per capita via StatsCan:

AB: $59,644
SK: $53,508
ON:$52,780
BC: $49,972
MB: $48,152

And obviously when taking into account SK's extremely low cost of living versus AB, BC, and ON, Sask actually goes straight to the top of that list. I don't think many retailers capture this in their market research.

I also just grabbed two charts showing our dramatic climb on Sask's Annual Gross Restaurant Receipts versus Alberta. Check out the curvature of that graph - meanwhile look at Alberta's and think about the drops from lower oil prices and the crash of 08/09. Sask's restaurant scene has been resilient compared to Alberta! I hope some major restaurant chains are scoping out this thread and looking at this data (but probably not) :

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Is it going to be 5 storeys lol

These guys seem to bring out something new each year and nothing happens.

But id say Marriot or a delta for that potential 'hotel'

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:17 PM

[QUOTE=roryn1;8290043]
Quote:
Just as a reference on the latest average annual income per capita via StatsCan:

AB: $59,644
SK: $53,508
ON:$52,780
BC: $49,972
MB: $48,152
Plus MB has higher income tax rates and a higher PST. Therefore the difference is even more pronounced when you look at disposable income. Retailers and restaurants should be looking at SK first unless they need a huge metro area like Winnipeg to justify their existence. Even Ikea will be coming to Saskatoon based on their current model for expansion in Canada.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Is it going to be 5 storeys lol

These guys seem to bring out something new each year and nothing happens.

But id say Marriot or a delta for that potential 'hotel'
The Radisson Hotel on 20th St and 4th Ave is being rebranded as a Delta.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
The Radisson Hotel on 20th St and 4th Ave is being rebranded as a Delta.
Ah that keeps it consistent with the Delta in Regina then since they’re basically clone hotels. Another hotel in need of renos!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 12:15 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
I've noticed in some fine local pics that the new version of the old traffic bridge is still wearing primer paint. Is the bridge-link still on target for opening in November? Wasn't it Nov. 2018? Or have there been some delays due to favourable weather?>) They should actually paint the deck and rails black, with the tresses the alternating colours of the pride flag over the middle two spans. That might look cool, and cut down on redneck traffic at the same time. Cheers!
So far i believe its still fall of 2018. They have central ave paved all the way to mccormond, and mccormond is paved all the way through also.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Ah that keeps it consistent with the Delta in Regina then since they’re basically clone hotels. Another hotel in need of renos!
Delta was originally owned by CP hotels. Most of the old railway hotels went over to Fairmount. Saskatoon was the exception. Delta was then sold off. I found most Detla hotels (except Saskatoon) to be fairly modern. The one in Saskatoon was always an odd fit.

The Raddison on the other had is the kind of hotel I think of when you think of the Delta brand. It makes perfect sense.

About 6 years ago I organised a conference with about 250 people attending. We looked at the Bez, the Raddison and the convention centre. Ended up using the Raddison. The Bez was both over priced and the conference/ballrooms were unworkable. It lacks the flexibility in layout that you get with a modern hotel or convention centre.

I don't think there is much they can do due to the physical layout of the hotel. The ceiling are low (especially for video projection), the walls can't easily be reconfigured. The public restaurant splits the two meeting areas in half.

The one only unique element it has that stands out is the grass area for concerts.

If another hotel goes into the "World Trade Centre", my guess would be a crown plaza. Holiday Inn has its two other banners in downtown Saskatoon. That is probably the only mid market brand with a strong Canadian pretense that is not in the downtown core.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 12:15 AM

What about radission even building a brand new hotel?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
What about radission even building a brand new hotel?
I could see that happening......

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
How legit is this?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
My guess is a Hyatt

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 4:27 PM

what indication is there that ANYTHING is happening at WTC site? my guess this will be another stalled project...we need our economy to pick up big time, as we (Saskatchewan) has not rebounded like most of the rest of the country in terms of job growth, real estate, provincial gdp, etc.

I DO think it will come, but for some reason we are lagging behind. However, that also creates the opportunity to build at a lower cost and be ready with "product" when economy does improve again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan