HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 6:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
Sterling Lyon and Kenaston do meet.
Of course I know that. I made a typo. What I meant was that there should be an overpass at the intersection....

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
What I meant was that there should be an overpass at the intersection....
There should be but instead we're going to have a giant intersection with 3 lanes of turning. I wish the city would do something the right way with the inner ring roads. If only the money spend building the Perimeter Hwy. and it's interchanges had been spent on the inner ring.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 10:05 AM
Capitalist

It think most people would agree that Route 90 should have been better planned. The province and the city will face additionaly congestion probems as the city continues to grow and this route will be one of the major points of interest.

Once Route 90 is linked directly to Hwy 75 it will have added traffic. The province will be forced to invest much money into this very important route. Why this wasn't made a limited access expressway from the start disappoints me.

Sterling Lyon Parkway will also see alot of investment in the coming years. Connecting Charleswood Parkway to Pembina Hwy via Taylor Ave.

As the city move towards a million people much more money needs to be invested on interchages as a means to increase traffic flow.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 4:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Connecting Charleswood Parkway to Pembina Hwy via Taylor Ave.
Are you serious?

The only way to acheive that would be to plow through the middle of Assiniboine Forest, I would assume..

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 5:04 AM
the first stamp is free

^ no it's supposed to go straight south through the remaining half of the abandoned golf course, and eventually link up with Wilkes.

That's a LOOOONG way off though, due to the amount of houses and property that needs to get expropriated.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ no it's supposed to go straight south through the remaining half of the abandoned golf course, and eventually link up with Wilkes.

That's a LOOOONG way off though, due to the amount of houses and property that needs to get expropriated.
Actually, there are no houses in the way of extending the Charleswood Parkway to Wilkes. I'm sure it won't be extended in the next 10 years though, unless Centreport really takes off.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 7:05 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Actually, there are no houses in the way of extending the Charleswood Parkway to Wilkes. I'm sure it won't be extended in the next 10 years though, unless Centreport really takes off.
There are no homes in the way of this connection... and once the IKEA is close to completion the city will announce the extension of Charleswood Parkway to Wilkes as a means to improve traffic flow to this growing area. Now that the Kennaston expansion has been put on hold due to the native issues of using the old military base for development the city will move ahead with alternative long-term roadway planning in the area.

Of course this will also lead to twinning Wilkes from the Charleswood Parkway to Route 90.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 7:10 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Are you serious?

The only way to acheive that would be to plow through the middle of Assiniboine Forest, I would assume..
Nope ... the Assiniboine Forest won't be touched by the expressway extension. Obviously you haven't seen the long-term plans, but it is really not a new idea.

Long term plans has it connecting to Bishop Grandin ... but that will be at least 10 years down the road.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 9:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Nope ... the Assiniboine Forest won't be touched by the expressway extension. Obviously you haven't seen the long-term plans, but it is really not a new idea.

Long term plans has it connecting to Bishop Grandin ... but that will be at least 10 years down the road.
The poster had said Taylor Ave. Maybe he meant Wilkes/Sterling Lyon?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 2:46 AM

Quote:
There are no homes in the way of this connection... and once the IKEA is close to completion the city will announce the extension of Charleswood Parkway to Wilkes as a means to improve traffic flow to this growing area. Now that the Kennaston expansion has been put on hold due to the native issues of using the old military base for development the city will move ahead with alternative long-term roadway planning in the area.

Of course this will also lead to twinning Wilkes from the Charleswood Parkway to Route 90.
Hope you're right. Seems to be a lot of stuff on the planning boards that never sees the light of day in this city, and if it does it's always scaled back.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 2:51 AM

Quote:
The poster had said Taylor Ave. Maybe he meant Wilkes/Sterling Lyon?
I'm sure he did. A link is planned with an underpass under the CNR main line connecting Taylor to Sterling Lyon.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 6:33 PM

I'm interested more in what the long term plans are for the extention of the Charleswood parkway south and if centerport is going to have an effect on the amount of traffic flow through charleswood. Does anyone know where one could see a concept plan for the area? Since the charleswood parkway went in there has been a huge increase of traffic using Laxdal and Elmhurst to get to wilkes. Sure would be nice to see the charleswood parkway pushed through to wilkes and Elmhurst connection to wilkes cut off.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 7:38 PM
the first stamp is free

^ take a look on google maps to see how many houses need to get expropriated for that road to extend through to Wilkes, and that should give you a good idea on how long it will take...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 7:42 PM
What could go wrong?

The way i look at it on Google Earth there should have to be no expropriation needed to extend the Charleswood Parkway to Wilkes.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 7:58 PM
the first stamp is free

^ You might be right. I thought they needed to basically knock down an existing street, but it looks like they have set aside the land in question.

That being said, the Charleswood bridge was a held up for a LONG time by NIMBY's even though it was always in the plans. A lot of those houses that back into the new expressway stand to lose quick a bit of resale value...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 9:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
A lot of those houses that back into the new expressway stand to lose quick a bit of resale value...

This might be one of the only cases where i could actually see how people could complain about the impending development. The difference is, in the case of the Chief Peguis extension - that land was set aside specifically for this purpose since the beginning of time and people buying there should ask questions before buying. With the Charleswood Parkway, those people backed onto a golf course which has since been closed and now will turn into an expressway. I can see why they would have a reason to complain, although with the Charleswood Bridge already in place i think they are fighting the inevitable.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 7:34 PM
What could go wrong?

Not really sure where this goes, but good news none the less.

Manitoba News Release

November 6, 2009

CANADA AND MANITOBA SUPPORT IMPROVEMENTS TO THE TRANS-CANADA HIGHWAY IN HEADINGLEY

Headingley, Manitoba, November 6, 2009 - The Honourable Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger and the Honourable Steven Fletcher, Minister of State for Democratic Reform and Member of Parliament for Charleswood-St. James-Assiniboia, today announced that the Government of Canada and the Province of Manitoba are supporting
the Headingley Divided Highway project.

The Government of Canada is setting aside up to one-half of total eligible costs, to a maximum federal contribution of $5.65 million. The province is matching that for a total project cost of approximately $11.3 million.

"This highway is a crucial component of our entire highway system in Manitoba and these upgrades will improve safety and traffic flow," said Premier Selinger. "By investing in this project, we are also improving the structural capacity of this highway and ensuring the flow of goods continues."

"Our Government, under the leadership of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, is focused on getting shovels in the ground, creating jobs, and stimulating regional economies," said Minister Fletcher. "This project will create local construction jobs and ensure that this stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway through Headingley will be a safe and dependable transportation link for decades to follow."

The Headingley Divided Highway Improvements project will upgrade a 1.7 kilometre section of the Trans-Canada Highway in the Headingley area. This highway is a core National Highway System
(NHS) route.

Beyond this funding announcement, the Government of Canada is taking important steps to support economic growth. Canada's 2009 Economic Action Plan includes a vast array of measures to strengthen Canada's economy including close to $12 billion in new infrastructure investments over two years, tax relief and support for unemployed Canadians.

Today's announcement continues the important steps the Province of Manitoba is taking to support economic growth by investing
$1.6 billion this year into infrastructure to stimulate the economy, create jobs, and renew the province's roads, schools, health facilities and water treatment facilities.

-30-

For more information on Building Canada, please visit:
www.creatingjobs.gc.ca.
To learn more about Canada's Economic Action Plan, visit www.actionplan.gc.ca.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 5:49 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Not really sure where this goes, but good news none the less.

Manitoba News Release

November 6, 2009

CANADA AND MANITOBA SUPPORT IMPROVEMENTS TO THE TRANS-CANADA HIGHWAY IN HEADINGLEY

Headingley, Manitoba, November 6, 2009 - The Honourable Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger and the Honourable Steven Fletcher, Minister of State for Democratic Reform and Member of Parliament for Charleswood-St. James-Assiniboia, today announced that the Government of Canada and the Province of Manitoba are supporting
the Headingley Divided Highway project.

The Government of Canada is setting aside up to one-half of total eligible costs, to a maximum federal contribution of $5.65 million. The province is matching that for a total project cost of approximately $11.3 million.

"This highway is a crucial component of our entire highway system in Manitoba and these upgrades will improve safety and traffic flow," said Premier Selinger. "By investing in this project, we are also improving the structural capacity of this highway and ensuring the flow of goods continues."

"Our Government, under the leadership of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, is focused on getting shovels in the ground, creating jobs, and stimulating regional economies," said Minister Fletcher. "This project will create local construction jobs and ensure that this stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway through Headingley will be a safe and dependable transportation link for decades to follow."

The Headingley Divided Highway Improvements project will upgrade a 1.7 kilometre section of the Trans-Canada Highway in the Headingley area. This highway is a core National Highway System
(NHS) route.

Beyond this funding announcement, the Government of Canada is taking important steps to support economic growth. Canada's 2009 Economic Action Plan includes a vast array of measures to strengthen Canada's economy including close to $12 billion in new infrastructure investments over two years, tax relief and support for unemployed Canadians.

Today's announcement continues the important steps the Province of Manitoba is taking to support economic growth by investing
$1.6 billion this year into infrastructure to stimulate the economy, create jobs, and renew the province's roads, schools, health facilities and water treatment facilities.

-30-

For more information on Building Canada, please visit:
www.creatingjobs.gc.ca.
To learn more about Canada's Economic Action Plan, visit www.actionplan.gc.ca.
That's good news!! It's about time they divided that stretch of highway!!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 4:06 PM

I thought the plan for centerport was to create a new highway from Saskatewan Ave. around the north of Headingley and then tie in to the #1 somewhere west of Headingley. I suppose now with the twinning of the #1 through headingley that our government is taking the cheap way out again.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 4:07 PM
Heart of the Continent

That plan will happen later, as it was always supposed to. No matter, the highway needed to be improved through Headingley for

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan