HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 1:14 AM

The expansion looks great! Does anyone have any current pics of the interior? I haven't been to YXE but from the pics i have seen, the current terminal looks quite outdated compared to the regina airport. The new expansion looks amazing and will greatly bring the airport up to date!

I wonder if Regina will be expanding anytime soon? I recall last year we had over 1.1 million passengers. Does anybody know what the last expansion raised the capacity to?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Regina View Post
The expansion looks great! Does anyone have any current pics of the interior? I haven't been to YXE but from the pics i have seen, the current terminal looks quite outdated compared to the regina airport. The new expansion looks amazing and will greatly bring the airport up to date!

I wonder if Regina will be expanding anytime soon? I recall last year we had over 1.1 million passengers. Does anybody know what the last expansion raised the capacity to?
The airports current capacity is 1.2 million passengers, but I bet it can handle a bit more than that. The biggest issue is the morning rush, after that the airport isn't too bad for passenger crowding.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 4:23 AM
Heart of the Continent

Wow, that Saakatoon airport looks nice.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 6:40 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

http://www.yxe.ca/documents/EXPANSION_SITE_2011_000.pdf Here are the floor plans of the entire Saskatoon airport, from the existing stuff to the expansions and additions.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Regina View Post

Saskatoon's airport will be amazing!!! The Regina Airport Authority is going to utilize the present facility to its full potential before undertaking an external expandtion. The ticket counters will be recessed back insothat there will be better passenger flow in front of the check-in counters. Externally, the RAA will be building a parkade - and are presently undertaking a study as to the design and where it is to be located.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
I just hope if they make a direct flight to New York they don't use the Newark Airport. Flew through Newark a few years back and the staff there are horrible & their selection of international connector flights is poor.

LaGuardia or JFK please!
Hey, this is a good sign!

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=608

Quote:
CALGARY, Nov. 23, 2011 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced it has successfully bid for eight slot pairs at New York's LaGuardia airport. A slot pair is defined as one arriving flight and one departing flight.

The auction, held by the U.S. Federal Aviation Authority (FAA), provided select airlines in Canada and the United States the unique opportunity to bid on two slot packages for LaGuardia airport and one for Washington's Ronald Reagan National Airport.

"We are very pleased with our successful bid," said Gregg Saretsky, WestJet President and CEO. "Our growth plans, in which increased business travel in the East figures prominently, includes New York City, Canada's largest international business market and we look forward to providing our guests with frequent, year-round service to the core of the Big Apple.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," continued Gregg Saretsky. "LaGuardia airport is slot controlled and therefore, access is otherwise strictly limited. Our ability to now serve New York demonstrates we are focused on delivering on our business traveller strategy."

WestJet will be working over the next several days to finalize the transaction according to FAA requirements while working to secure U.S. customs pre-clearance from Canada. Details on schedule information will be announced at a later date.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
I highly doubt that YQR will be given one of these slots. It will be filled with Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, and Calgary is my guess. But hey, you never know.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 2:43 AM

Any WS city west of YWG will not be one of the city pairs going to LGA as LGA has a restriction in how far away the origin city can be (1500 statute miles) and YWG is just on the cusp of that limit line. Perhaps WS will keep the YYC/EWR route on a seasonal basis?

Last edited by YYCguys; Nov 25, 2011 at 2:54 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 4:58 AM

This was posted on the regina construction thread ll a while ago, though i post it here

http://www.leaderpost.com/Parkage+te...#ixzz1dvpGISRR

I found a document that was done in 2008 and displays where possible expansions could occur and what the might be for the YQR. Looks like this could be happening in the not so distant future maybe?

http://www.yqr.ca/images/corporate/r...007_-_2027.pdf

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 7:52 PM

STARS Air Ambulance

Here is an article regarding the STARS Air Ambulance that will be based at YQR.

http://www.leaderpost.com/health/Con...146/story.html

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 12:31 AM

Saskatoon and Regina are both trying to get direct flights to Europe and Asia...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...5.html?cmp=rss

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 9:03 PM

Saskatoon International Airport -- 2011 passenger stats

YXE has issued its Winter 2011-12 newsletter. Some great nuggets of info in this doc.

October and November 2011 saw particularly strong passenger volumes. Dec 2011 looks promising, too.

http://yxe.ca/newsletter/index.html

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 1:06 PM

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 5:24 PM

I guess that STARS is considered an air service. Anyhow, the ex-Redhead Equipment hangar at YQR is currently undergoing a significant expansion in order to accomodate the two STARS' helicopters. No photos - sorry.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 8:20 PM

Are they going to build helicopter pad on the roof of both hospitals ?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macblaze View Post
I believe that's the case for the General, now, but not right away.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macblaze View Post
They'll be eventually set one up on the roof of the General. They should not have closed the Plains Health Centre.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 3:07 PM

"Regina will be going through terminal renovations again to become a common use airport like Winnipeg and Las Vegas making it the third airport in North America to have this feature."

Just spotted this on Wikipedia...interesting.... "Common Use Airport"?

and nice to hear Regina will have Westjet flying direct to Winnipeg again...just seen on the morning news...I hope that the cost of flying to Winnipeg will be on par with Calgary..It costs more to dly to Winnipeg then to Toronto! (from regina)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpaul View Post
"Regina will be going through terminal renovations again to become a common use airport like Winnipeg and Las Vegas making it the third airport in North America to have this feature."

Just spotted this on Wikipedia...interesting.... "Common Use Airport"?

and nice to hear Regina will have Westjet flying direct to Winnipeg again...just seen on the morning news...I hope that the cost of flying to Winnipeg will be on par with Calgary..It costs more to dly to Winnipeg then to Toronto! (from regina)
Yes, that's true. there are economic circumstances with reference to number of seats/aircraft and distance-related seat-mile costs. In other words, relatively/statistically speaking, it costs more to fly a short distance than to fly a long one.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 4:07 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan