HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 10:46 PM

Not close.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 1:49 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
The new Winnipeg IKEA will most likely make good money because most people in Fargo and Grand Forks will instead opt to go to Winnipeg to do their IKEA shopping rather than the Twin Cities. Winnipeg is a bit closer than the Cities, and the dollar exchange looks more and more favourable for Americans as time goes on, due to Canada's relatively better economy than the US.
Except for that fact that IKEA prices in Canada are substantially higher than those in the US.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
My mother emitted an absurd sound when I mentioned to her the potential opening of this IKEA over the phone today.

Actually, I'm a little surprised by the location (well, not totally). I would've thought they'd set up shop near the perimeter (Lagimodiere, Oak Bluff) but I guess those places aren't within city limits. The two IKEAs in Montreal are near major freeways due to the traffic chaos these places cause (same with Ottawa, right next to the 417).

The first few days this place is open Kenaston is going to be a parking lot.
The IKEA in Burlington is at a major intersection too, right beside the Freeman Exchange where the 407, 403 and QEW come together. That intersection is a good spot, about 1 million people from anywhere in Hamilton, Burlington and Oakville can get there within 15-20 minutes. That IKEA location is also less than one hour drive from St. Catharines, Brantford, Guelph and K-W. Lots of Americans make the trip as well. IKEA is a destination store so I'm sure the Winnipeg location will easily draw people from everywhere within a fairly large radius (including Americans).

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 1:55 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
The new Winnipeg IKEA will most likely make good money because most people in Fargo and Grand Forks will instead opt to go to Winnipeg to do their IKEA shopping rather than the Twin Cities. Winnipeg is a bit closer than the Cities, and the dollar exchange looks more and more favourable for Americans as time goes on, due to Canada's relatively better economy than the US.
Yaa, you're probably right.

Fargo is smack dab in the middle of Minneapolis and Winnipeg, with a Canadian dollar at 80 something cents why wouldn't you buy your crap Karlstad in Canada?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 4:07 AM
visionary

Cool that Ikea is coming

If Ikea had any urban class they would of built it a multistory store downtown with residential towers overtop. If would sure be huge opportunity to have this kind of huge anchor to spur shopping of any kind downtown. But then again this city is so short sited. On top of that I believe the city would of built a P3 parkade mixed in with some retail to camouflage the parkade structure. But for wpg this would be a huge pipe dream.

I am not sure if wpg can sustain having the bigest ikea in canada however something smaller will do. One with half a brain is not surprised with Ikea choosing the kenaston site. as there bigbox site. I tell you if the bombers already had a deal to build a new stadium already ikea would of had been built at the old stadium site at polio park, the cancer of dowtown.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 6:24 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN View Post
If the city had an integrated land use/transportation model or tool that they could use for long range planning, they could effectively plan appropriate transportation facilities to accomodate developments of all kinds, instead of all this retrofit stuff to deal with problems after individual traffic impact studies are done. My guess is this doesn't exist in Winnipeg.

Route 90 has long been planned to be a high volume expressway. This investment in Route 90 is consistent with long term city transportation plans.

I only hope they build some interchanges on this expanding route.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 6:30 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Regardless, Winnipeg (and all the out-of-town shoppers) will prove that IKEA can succeed there.

Good job
Yeah I agree... Good Job Winnipeg!!

The fact the Winnipeg's Ikea will be even larger than Calgary's or Edmonton's Ikea is impressive. Kenaston is becoming a retail powerhouse, but trust me Polo Park is still going great guns. With two major retail expansions going up in the coming years... it is still the retail destination of choice.

I am looking forward to the new Ikea .. it will be a draw to the city.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 8:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It is everywhere now in the news here. IKEA has put an offer in on the piece of property we have spoken about.

IKEA to set up shop on Kenaston
CJOB's Jeff Braun reporting
12/16/2008

IKEA has announced it will open a store in Winnipeg.

The Swedish furniture giant signed an agreement to acquire a large piece of land at Kenaston Boulevard and Sterling Lyon Parkway.

However, whether or not the store gets built is conditional upon municipal and provincial government approvals. But, both Premier Gary Doer and Mayor Sam Katz have pledged to accelerate capital plans to meet IKEA's timelines.

Madeleine Löwenborg- Frick tells CJOB it might take a couple of years before it opens.

She estimates it will open between late 2011 and early 2013.

The proposed store would be 350-thousand square feet, making it among the largest stores in Canada.
I think that would make it the largest IKEA in Canada period: http://www.ikea-group.ikea.com/?ID=59

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 8:54 PM

The store is big, but wait until you see the size of the parking lot. Huge.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 10:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by metonymy View Post
The store is big, but wait until you see the size of the parking lot. Huge.
maybe they will do what they did in miniapolis with the parking under the store

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 11:08 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Underground parking?

In Winnipeg?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
I've been to that one a few times, and I think it is a pain in the butt!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 12:14 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Underground parking?

In Winnipeg?

no its not underground its ontop of the parking...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 12:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
I've been to that one a few times, and I think it is a pain in the butt!
yes but u also have mall of amarica right beside it what you expect

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 1:25 AM
visionary

if you look at Ikeas environment and social responsibility document

Here:
http://193.108.42.168/repository/documents/1554.pdf

they endorse people to take transit with water taxi and they even offer to make it for free too. They do it in Brookland NY here is the article: http://solidearthnyc.blogspot.com/20...o-brookyn.html

and they even offer priority parking for those who use hybrid vehicles.
and of course they offer delivery for a price

In the wpg sun I saw a pic they had indoor parking and it looked like 3 -4 stories high.

So one must say then why not put it downtown and make it several stories like the Bay and the old eatons built it and make it work since Ikea endorses. the use of transit

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 1:32 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
if you look at Ikeas environment and social responsibility document

Here:
http://193.108.42.168/repository/documents/1554.pdf

they endorse people to take transit with water taxi and they even offer to make it for free too. They do it in Brookland NY here is the article: http://solidearthnyc.blogspot.com/20...o-brookyn.html

and they even offer priority parking for those who use hybrid vehicles.
and of course they offer delivery for a price

In the wpg sun I saw a pic they had indoor parking and it looked like 3 -4 stories high.

So one must say then why not put it downtown and make it several stories like the Bat and the old eatons built it and make it work since Ikea endorses. the use of transit
post office site anyone?

and if parking becomes an isse one could building a parade across the st wit retail at the base and residential ontop lol

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 1:37 AM

its never going to go downtown, nothing is ever going to go downtown. its time to realize downtown winnipeg will never be a shopping destination. i as much as anyone would love to see portage lined with hign end intertnational shops but it just wont happen. <end rant>

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 1:58 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffler View Post
its never going to go downtown, nothing is ever going to go downtown. its time to realize downtown winnipeg will never be a shopping destination. i as much as anyone would love to see portage lined with hign end intertnational shops but it just wont happen. <end rant>
why must we give up we don't need a shambles hell hole like we had... we need a city thats alive as a whole

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 2:02 AM

There is no way Fairweather could make this project work without the large land parcel that will contain a residential development behind the big boxes. Those lot and development fees are paying for the commercial side of this and it's the only way this makes financial sense for the developer.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
So one must say then why not put it downtown and make it several stories like the Bay and the old eatons built it and make it work since Ikea endorses. the use of transit
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I would not want to see it go downtown. Not sure why, but I don't think it would work very well. Yet, it would be considerably closer to my house if it were.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan