HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:41 PM
the first stamp is free

^ well yeah, except our history at this site only dates back a couple hundred years. There will still be plenty of time to plow this over in 500 to 1000 years if future generations see fit - a la Europe.

As it stands now, it is the single most historic spot in terms of the modern political history of the province of Manitoba. I don't think there is really any arguing that point?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ well yeah, except our history at this site only dates back a couple hundred years. There will still be plenty of time to plow this over in 500 to 1000 years if future generations see fit - a la Europe.

As it stands now, it is the single most historic spot in terms of the modern political history of the province of Manitoba. I don't think there is really any arguing that point?
An historian I know took his family on the great Canadian cross country drive a few years back. He said their were really two places they wanted to see in Manitoba; Grand Beach, and Upper Fort Garry.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ it's not done yet. Let's wait until it (hopefully) gets finished with the interpretive centre. At that stage we can pass final judgement.

We got the park. And we got the building positioned about a block or so away from the original location.

win win IMO.
It still would have been nice to have a residential anchor at the south end of Main. As it is, it's sort of a dead zone at that corner even though there is a park there.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 10:47 PM

The developer gave up on the spot 10 years ago and agreed to the land swap a year later to build on Assiniboine. Just wondering how many more years we will be ruing the tremendous loss of a residential building that apparently would transformed Winnipeg as we know it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
The developer gave up on the spot 10 years ago and agreed to the land swap a year later to build on Assiniboine. Just wondering how many more years we will be ruing the tremendous loss of a residential building that apparently would transformed Winnipeg as we know it.
What we're ruing is not the loss of a residential building, it's the permanent waste of a prominent site with an ill-designed and mostly empty park. A mixed-use development next to (not on) the site of the fort could have drawn on the energy of the Forks (back entrance right across Main) and really helped to kickstart the transformation of South Main that many of us are waiting for, while also bringing more people to the historic site.

And the design of the park really is horrible, as if they specifically tried to keep people from using it. There isn't even a connection to the corner of Main and Assiniboine. Actually today I saw a man in a business suit clambering over the planters and shrubbery to enter the park from that corner. Embarrassing.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
What we're ruing is not the loss of a residential building, it's the permanent waste of a prominent site with an ill-designed and mostly empty park. A mixed-use development next to (not on) the site of the fort could have drawn on the energy of the Forks (back entrance right across Main) and really helped to kickstart the transformation of South Main that many of us are waiting for, while also bringing more people to the historic site.

And the design of the park really is horrible, as if they specifically tried to keep people from using it. There isn't even a connection to the corner of Main and Assiniboine. Actually today I saw a man in a business suit clambering over the planters and shrubbery to enter the park from that corner. Embarrassing.
My, you must have been mortified. I can’t imagine the pain this has caused you over the years. Will it ever end?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:35 AM

Quote:
My, you must have been mortified. I can’t imagine the pain this has caused you over the years. Will it ever end?
I guess this childish reply means that you have no rational response to my points?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:21 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I guess this childish reply means that you have no rational response to my points?
This is just Ando. If your opinion is different than his you will be shat on.

Your contributions are valued. Keep up the great work.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:23 AM

I believe a major component to this park that missed the boat was a water feature. I know I am drawn to fountains after I've grabbed a coffee or need a place to sit to break up a long walk. A landmark fountain, or at least a tastefully done splash pad, would have gone a long way to animate this park IMO.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:44 AM

Ive come to the conclusion that there are some poster that just want a high rises no matter what… and if there is a park instead it will never be as good no matter what. Btw urban design is not a dick measuring contest!

Ive even heard on these forums that some want height in the east and west exchange district? SMFH, but then again I’ve seen people wearing Ed hardy and socks with sandals, so i guess to each their own?…

Im all for height and density but a condo on a heritage sight imo is pure socks and sandals.

In some way Winnipeg is blessed with slow growth bc it preserves unique neighbourhoods like the exchange.

Ive lived downtown Calgary and it is beautiful but when i come back to the exchange its like nothing in western Canada.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Go back and the thread over the past few days. I've given many reasons why I think that this is a non-issue and that things turned out fine the way they are. The fact is you don't accept my rationale. Go back and read your post - you're bordering on hysterical because of something that isn't really a big problem.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
This is just Ando. If your opinion is different than his you will be shat on.

Your contributions are valued. Keep up the great work.
Ah, it's always good to hear from a guy who has a pathological hate for the city and doesn't even live here anymore - and yet has a strange fetish for commenting on it.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I believe a major component to this park that missed the boat was a water feature. I know I am drawn to fountains after I've grabbed a coffee or need a place to sit to break up a long walk. A landmark fountain, or at least a tastefully done splash pad, would have gone a long way to animate this park IMO.
A waterslide from the Forks to the park would be great I admit.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
What revenue are you talking about? It's a park.
It is used so infrequently. And the revenue I'm talking about is from the planned rentals of the park to private events, which were going to be used to fund the interpretive centre. With zero dollars coming in, and FUFG not even trying to actively fundraise, I see little chance the IC gets built in the next 5 years, if ever.

IIRC the city granted them a 2 year permit to use the land behind the wall as a permit. That 2 years has got to be coming up pretty soon, and I can't wait to hear the excuses they throw out as to why they should get an extension.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It is used so infrequently. And the revenue I'm talking about is from the planned rentals of the park to private events, which were going to be used to fund the interpretive centre. With zero dollars coming in, and FUFG not even trying to actively fundraise, I see little chance the IC gets built in the next 5 years, if ever.

IIRC the city granted them a 2 year permit to use the land behind the wall as a permit. That 2 years has got to be coming up pretty soon, and I can't wait to hear the excuses they throw out as to why they should get an extension.
All I can say is check out the website, which I conveniently place below for you. They are actively marketing the park for events and are also having fundraising events.

http://www.upperfortgarry.com/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

The Interpretive Centre isn't going to happen. The proponents of the park already got what they wanted and they've moved on.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:00 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Ah, it's always good to hear from a guy who has a pathological hate for the city and doesn't even live here anymore - and yet has a strange fetish for commenting on it.
Wasn't commenting on the city. Was commenting on what an ass you are and how poorly you treat other people.

But carry on.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 5:27 PM

So it's a strange fetish about me and Winnipeg then? Correction noted. I don't treat anybody like an ass that doesn't deserve to be. And you're the biggest ass of them all.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Interpretive Centre isn't going to happen. The proponents of the park already got what they wanted and they've moved on.
In September 2017, they asked for and were given 2 more years to do the fundraising. That would be September 2019. I guess we'll see what happens then.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
In September 2017, they asked for and were given 2 more years to do the fundraising. That would be September 2019. I guess we'll see what happens then.
i'm not saying it's a dreamscape level of unlikely, but it's approaching a skycity level of unlikely

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan