HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 7:54 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Empire Building part of $45 million project including two Marriotts, new Chris Hastings restaurant

Kelly Pope
The Birmingham News
April 13, 2015
LINK

Quote:

One of Birmingham's most iconic buildings will be part of a $45 million project that will bring two Marriott hotels and a gourmet restaurant downtown.

The Empire Building at 1928 1st Ave. will become Empire Hotel, a luxury hotel with a restaurant, 117 bedrooms, a gym, lounge, meeting space and rooftop bar. The adjoining former Alagasco headquarters building will become a limited service Marriott hotel with 120 rooms and provide 50 jobs.

Empire Hospitality LLC will develop the project. Buford, Ga.'s Ascent Hospitality is the managing partner. The company plans to start construction April 2015 and finish by summer 2016.

I think this is huge for that intersection. I'm excited that they're starting this month!

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 8:07 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I think this is huge for that intersection. I'm excited that they're starting this month!
Me too. I like how that it is announced and that they are/could be already under way. Such much momentum now, several things going on at once.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 8:23 PM
Burming Hammer

Heaviest Corner coming back to life! C'mon, Brown-Marx... your turn!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 12:48 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Heaviest Corner coming back to life! C'mon, Brown-Marx... your turn!
Amen! I'm pretty sure it's the oldest of the four and it needs the most attention, too. Also, it's pretty big, you could make a bit hotel or apartment building out of it.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 6:40 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Looking at the pictures in this article, it's hard to believe that anyone could convert this behemoth to a residential building. It is one of the most important buildings in downtown, and the transformation it is about to undergo is tremendous.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 4:10 PM
Burming Hammer

residential / hotel projects currently under construction in the city center (and some nearby neighborhoods):

liv parkside - $30 million
the venue - $36 (?) million
pizitz - $66 million
highland tower - $40 million
thomas jefferson tower - $22 million
central city - $13 million
20 midtown - $30 million
the metropolitan - $40 million
clairmont avenue - (?) million
iron city lofts - (?) million

redmont hotel - $20 (?) million
homewood suites - $23 million
empire hotel - $45 million

... what did I leave out?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
residential / hotel projects currently under construction in the city center (and some nearby neighborhoods):

liv parkside - $30 million
the venue - $36 (?) million
pizitz - $66 million
highland tower - $40 million
thomas jefferson tower - $22 million
central city - $13 million
20 midtown - $30 million
the metropolitan - $40 million
clairmont avenue - (?) million
iron city lofts - (?) million

redmont hotel - $20 (?) million
homewood suites - $23 million
empire hotel - $45 million

... what did I leave out?
It was mentioned the old Jefferson Home furniture store was to begin work shortly. It sits between Thomas Jefferson and Pizitz on 2nd Avenue N. probably 5 to 7 million.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 3:48 PM
Burming Hammer

hope part of this project involves a facelift. admittedly, I preferred the Parisian, but this is better than nothing:

Gray Construction to redevelop Booker T. Washington building as new regional headquarters

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 8:27 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
hope part of this project involves a facelift. admittedly, I preferred the Parisian, but this is better than nothing:

Gray Construction to redevelop Booker T. Washington building as new regional headquarters
I feel the same way. All of these vacant buildings have to filled before anything new can be built.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 8:29 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Bike sharing comes to Birmingham, brings new technology and work for Alabama

Mike D. Smith
The Birmingham News
April 20, 2015
LINK

Quote:
A new transportation option coming to Birmingham features added technology that planners say puts it among few of its kind worldwide and will make Alabama a base for similar programs in the future.

This fall, the city's first public bike sharing program will go into operation using vendor Bewegen Technologies, Inc., officials with REV Birmingham, the Regional Planning Commission of Greater Birmingham, the city and the Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham announced Monday afternoon.

Birmingham's program will make it the first city in the Western Hemisphere to use "electric-assist" bikes, or those that use electricity to help with pedaling in hilly terrain, according to REV Birmingham.

HERE'S HOW IT WILL WORK

REV Birmingham will administer the program. The local bike sharing network will include 400 bikes and 40 kiosks placed throughout central Birmingham.

Among those, there will be 100 electric-pedal bikes. Those bikes were included to lessen the barriers to using the system for people not as experienced with hillier areas of the city said Lindsey West, deputy operations director for the planning commission.

Riders can either buy annual memberships or use their credit cards to check out the bikes. Cost details are in the works, but similar sharing programs have annual memberships between $50 and $100. The Birmingham program would aim for the middle of that range, organizers said.

Memberships can be purchased through a website for the new program and a mobile app, both of which should go live this summer, according to REV Birmingham.

Bewegen, based in Quebec, was one of the vendors who responded to a request for proposals from the planning commission.

The company has committed to building the kiosks for Birmingham's system here in Alabama and also plans to build kiosks for future U.S. systems here in Alabama, according to REV Birmingham.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 12:01 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Developers plan dual-branded Hilton hotel near Railroad Park

Bryan Davis
Birmingham Biz Journal
May 8, 2015
LINK

Quote:
Developers plan to build a dual-flag Hilton Hotels & Resorts hotel in Birmingham’s growing Parkside district.

A block owned by the Alabama Children's Hospital Foundation is currently under contract to unnamed developers, a source close to the project confirmed this week.

Many of the details of the project are still being determined as developers work with the city of Birmingham on permits. Developers are expected to reveal more details at next week's meeting of the Birmingham Design Review Committee.

Hoping for something with floors 10+. If they really want to compete with Sheraton, the new Westin, and the new Mariott Autograph, they need to put something in that makes a statement.

Remaining hopeful! We should have more details after the Design Review Committee meeting next week, hopefully a bit sooner.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:11 PM
Burming Hammer

could not be more disappointed... this thing belongs in the 'burbs.

First look: Hilton Garden Inn and Home2 Suites coming to downtown Birmingham

Last edited by TimCity2000; May 14, 2015 at 3:57 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:40 PM

Wow another cookie cutter building that will never standout. I'm not surprised.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:54 PM

Though I understand the disappointment, this is a much more practical project. I don't think there is yet a demand for that many more luxury/business class hotel projects. Perhaps with a convention center expansion, there would be... but this is aimed more at the middle class, perhaps visiting relatives in the hospital. I think that's a good thing because there isn't a whole lot of middle of the road options in the city. Although the design I agree is fairly bland, I didn't ever really expect it to be any bigger than 6-8 stories with such a large footprint.

You have to keep in mind that there is still a lot of vacant and under utilized land near the city center. There is no need to build skyscrapers when there is so much room left for infill development of this size.

I will concede the design is rather bland... but something more exotic would probably not have made the project cost effective.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:58 PM
Burming Hammer

I hear what you're saying, and I can certainly stomach the fact that it's only 5 stories tall due to demand / economic conditions / whatever.

But good design doesn't cost more.

(Welcome to the forum, btw... live in Birmingham?)

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 4:59 PM

Yep, I live in Birmingham. The one aspect of design I really don't care for is the parking lot. I think the building being right up next to the sidewalk really does wonders for pedestrian traffic and the street scape. Parking lots make it look suburban. Even just somehow enclosing the parking lot to where it isn't seen from the street helps a lot, even if there is the same number of rooms and spots and the density is completely unchanged.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 5:11 PM

Though this isn't really "development", there will be a boxing event from Tuscaloosa Native Deontay Wilder. I think this is a pretty good event for the city of Birmingham.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 5:29 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakau2007 View Post
Yep, I live in Birmingham. The one aspect of design I really don't care for is the parking lot. I think the building being right up next to the sidewalk really does wonders for pedestrian traffic and the street scape. Parking lots make it look suburban. Even just somehow enclosing the parking lot to where it isn't seen from the street helps a lot, even if there is the same number of rooms and spots and the density is completely unchanged.
and unfortunately, the entrance faces INWARD towards that lot if you look at the site plan... so there goes any hope of the other half of the block getting developed :/

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 3:58 PM
I concede

Quote:
and unfortunately, the entrance faces INWARD towards that lot if you look at the site plan... so there goes any hope of the other half of the block getting developed :/
There's actually a good chance it will. Entrances will be on both sides.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 4:50 PM
Burming Hammer

Quite the facelift for the Booker T. Washington! I approve...

First look: Gray Construction's renovation of former Booker T. Washington building

BEFORE

AFTER

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations