HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 9:58 PM

I'm kinda surprised nobody has brought this up (though I'm not sure how much mention its been given in the E-N); several intersections downtown have had diagonal pedestrian crossings installed. The TXHwyMan has been chronicling the ensuing "pedestrian scrambles" (think large intersections in Tokyo with heavy pedestrian volumes) for the past few weeks.

from the text:
If you’ve been downtown lately, you might have noticed several intersections where pedestrians can cross in all directions (including diagonally) at once, a la the famous Shibuya crossing in Tokyo. The City of San Antonio is installing these crossings, known colloquially as “pedestrian scrambles” or “Barnes Dances” (or more boringly by their technical name of “exclusive pedestrian phasing”), as an experiment to see if they improve both pedestrian and vehicular traffic downtown. During a recent jaunt downtown, I counted 14 intersections outfitted with the equipment for pedestrian scrambles (that being a third pedestrian crossing signal on each corner oriented diagonally across the intersection), with half of them actually in service.

I personally think this could help mitigate vehicular/pedestrian accidents and make downtown a little easier to walk. I've never seen these in any other US cities.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 10:03 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I like them.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 10:23 PM

I guess if stats show that they work....
I don't think that the pedestrian flow is that heavy; although it can be on certain dates of the year.
Having seen the one in Shibuya, I can say there is a need for it there. Here? I just don't think the consistant pedestrian volume requires them.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Feb 17, 2010 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 10:28 PM
Bears of antiquity

My favorite will always be the one at Pike Place Market

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 12:27 AM

Interesting, I was at PPM in '02 and I don't remember seeing one. How long have they had them there?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 2:59 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

UT has a few around campus, especially around 26th street (Dean Keeton). They are pretty fantastic.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 4:12 AM

Title can be a bit misleading. Not to worry; this has nothing to do with the streetcar funds.

Quote:
VIA, Port S.A. lose latest stimulus

By Josh Baugh - Express-News The U.S. Department of Transportation on Wednesday doled out $1.5 billion in stimulus funds, but it passed over VIA Metropolitan Transit and dropped all of Texas' money in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

VIA was hoping to secure $80 million for its planned bus rapid transit line expected to begin running in the Fredericksburg Road corridor by 2012. But missing out on the Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery — or TIGER grant — doesn't hurt VIA's plans, officials said. The agency scaled back its original BRT plans, so that the corridor could be easily retrofitted for light rail, VIA President Keith Parker said.

Facing more than 1,400 applications for the federal dollars, VIA's chances of securing the grant had “lottery-type odds,” Parker said, and the agency wasn't counting on the grant for budgeting purposes.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business..._stimulus.html
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 4:10 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Interesting, I was at PPM in '02 and I don't remember seeing one. How long have they had them there?
Goodness, must have been forever now. It's at 1st and Pike and it's not marked.

There's another that's been in existence in West Seattle since it was first incorporated.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 6:24 PM

Intersections that have the "Pedestrian exclusive phase" in their cycles are better over all if the situation is right; moderate to high pedestrian activity and moderate to high vehicular activity.

Two intersections that these have been a huge success at are Commerce/Flores and Dolorosa/Flores. both of these intersections have a lot of diagnal pedestrian traffic and turning vehicles (partially due to the closing of streets at Main Plaza). When vehicles don't have to yield to crossing pedestrians and pedestrians don't have to wait two cycles to cross diagnally it benefits everyone.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 7:38 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I never understood why SA doesn't have Light rail now. I know there was a ballot in 2000 along with trains for Austin(failed) and Houston(passed). But whatever

It makes too much sense to have a line from DT, up Fredricksburg, then up 10 to UTSA

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 1:28 AM

Air Tran adds Baltimore, Orlando non-stop flights to San Antonio International Airport.

Quote:
February 23, 2010
AIRTRAN AIRWAYS ANNOUNCES NON-STOP SERVICE TO BALTIMORE AND ORLANDO

AirTran Airways announced today, new non-stop service between San Antonio and Baltimore/Washington (BWI), as well as Orlando (MCO). The new service, which will begin on a summer seasonal basis, will start May 27, 2010.

This new service not only allows San Antonio travelers low cost options to two of the country ’ s great destinations, but also adds access to two of AirTran ’ s biggest hub cities. This also increases San Antonio ’ s access to more than 60 U.S. destinations that AirTran services.

“ This new seasonal service will give AirTran Airways ’ customers more non-stop options for traveling around the country during the peak summer months," said Tad Hutcheson, vice president of marketing and sales, AirTran Airways. "We ’ re making it easier and more affordable than ever to get to that family reunion, enjoy a beach vacation, take a spin on the newest theme ride in Orlando or just visit a new and exciting destination.

“ AirTran increasing service to these two markets just in time for summer travel is outstanding news, ” said Aviation Director Frank R. Miller. “ We are extremely excited that AirTran has decided to expand its hub-network in the San Antonio market and bring with it additional low-cost options to top destination markets for both business and leisure travelers. We are always happy when an airline partner like AirTran continues to show confidence in the San Antonio market. ”
www.sanantonio.gov

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 2:08 AM
Hmmm....

Thought I'd add pictures of VIA's Proposed Streetcar Routes.
This page needs a little life.

SmartwaySA.com: Inner-City Rail Streetcar Downtown Circulator Study
http://www.smartwaysa.com/Documents/...027%202010.pdf

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 3:16 AM
Paradise

So what's going on with everything now?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 2:23 PM
Hmmm....

VIA is looking for a way to fund these all without needing to resort to a bond that would require a public referendum. The general fear at VIA is if there was a referendum, it wouldn't pass because the people on the far north side (Stone Oak & Fair Oaks Ranch and pretty much anyone who chose to live in a area that doesn't have infrastructure) would erroneously believe that any money for transit should be used and spent only on fixing US 281 and 1604 eventhough VIA, Bexar County and San Antonio have no dominion over TXDOT maintained highways and freeways (just look at the comments on mysa.com when they do stories about rail based transit).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
So what's going on with everything now?
They're working on the hard stuff (metaphorically) right now.
http://www.onthemoveblog.com/2010/03...to-talk-money/

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/tra...tcar_cost.html

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 10:43 PM
Bears of antiquity

I think it's done at this point, and all it took was the basic presentation that showed how much development has happened around the streetcar lines in Portland and Seattle.

Just expect the Council to try to do some light padding to their decision by saying some token bit about returns on investment, refund of any underruns, etcetera.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 8:16 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
The U.S. Department of Transportation on Wednesday doled out $1.5 billion in stimulus funds, but it passed over VIA Metropolitan Transit and dropped all of Texas' money in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.
To set the record straight, the only new funds heading to the Dallas area is to double track the TRE rail line between West Irving and Centerpoint stations. This is being done so the TRE line can host Amtrak's Texas Eagle trains, which the Feds want. Even so, the Feds are only funding half the costs.
The other Stimulus funds for transit the Dallas area has received, specifically DART, is promised Federal funds for the Green and Orange line construction arriving early, under ARRA (Stimulus) funds vs FTA yearly programed funds. DART is only going to save some interests costs with the early arrival of the promised Federal funds.
Some other transit agency is really going to get some Federal funds in the future, what DART would have received in future years will now go somewhere else. When you get down deep into the Stimulus funds allocations heading to Texas, Texas basically got screwed.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 5:14 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

New Air service at SA International

Quote:
AIRTRAN AIRWAYS ANNOUNCES NON-STOP SERVICE TO BALTIMORE AND ORLANDO

AirTran Airways announced today, new non-stop service between San Antonio and Baltimore/Washington (BWI), as well as Orlando (MCO). The new service, which will begin on a summer seasonal basis, will start May 27, 2010.

This new service not only allows San Antonio travelers low cost options to two of the country ’ s great destinations, but also adds access to two of AirTran ’ s biggest hub cities. This also increases San Antonio ’ s access to more than 60 U.S. destinations that AirTran services.
http://www.sanantonio.gov/Aviation/news.asp

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 5:18 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Delta Increasing Service at SA International

Quote:
Delta Air Lines announces the reinstatement of their Cincinnati (CVG) - San Antonio (SAT) non-stop air service. These flights were discontinued in May 2009. Cincinnati flights will start on May 3, 2010 as well as the airline ’ s recent increase in daily non-stops flights to Atlanta (ATL). Currently, the SAT - ATL route has nine daily non-stop flights – up from eight offer last spring.
http://www.sanantonio.gov/Aviation/news.asp

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 9:30 PM

When are they going to expand 1604? I was in SA this week, and have to say 1604 was brutal. Especially the sections where there is no freeway. With it being sandwiched between two tourist areas (Six Flags/La Cantera and Sea World), why is it so small?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio