HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 4:13 PM

While on the subject of Buffalo, what are the latest plans for Central Terminal? Such a stunning Art Deco tower.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Maybe an unpopular opinion... but anyone else think the twin Statues of Liberty atop the Liberty Building are kinda cheesy? Putting not just one, but two mini replicas of an iconic symbol of another city on the top... cheapens it just a bit too much for me.

Also, Niagara Mohawk building is among my favorite buildings. Total gem.
The Liberty Building was one of my 3 favorite buildings in the city when I (briefly) drove through 14 years ago, and my favorite that I didn't already know about. The other 2 were City Hall and the Niagara Mohawk Building. The statues stood out as a "wow factor" that differentiated this from other buildings of its time.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 4:59 PM

I'm not a regular poster here, but a regular reader. You all do a great job with the data and photos.

The top 10 building height averages and ages were pretty interesting.

Maybe a different take would be a way to quantify the amount of vacant buildings in the downtown areas, particularly of better building classes.

I think this is where Buffalo might fare better than the others. It's nice to see all the construction out there, but is it at the expense of vacating other older buildings?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
While on the subject of Buffalo, what are the latest plans for Central Terminal? Such a stunning Art Deco tower.
A preferred developer (CB Emmanuel) was selected in February, and is leading a team to perform a $60M first phase redevelopment to be completed by 2025, with a 10-year working plan for full restoration and use that could run up to $300M.

The initial $60M has already been committed by the state. All work is to be in accordance with the Master Plan that was completed in 2021.

Per the Buffalo News:
"Initial construction will focus on stabilizing the plaza, the 300-space parking garage, the Guastavino tiles that line the interior of the concourse vault, making roof and window repairs and improvements to the grounds."

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 7:00 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Very pretty. Makes me look forward to summer on the Lake.

Maybe an unpopular opinion... but anyone else think the twin Statues of Liberty atop the Liberty Building are kinda cheesy?
It is.
Buffalo is in NY State and the Great Lakes City/terminus of Erie Canal.
No one would expect a Western Pennsylvanian to understand how Yinz in Western NY feel.

They've been there almost a hundred years and most people like the ideals of America they represent even if a bit of cheesy Americana.
They are like the guardians of downtown Buffalo, and an icon of the skyline among Buffalo's other great, unique buildings.

Another fun fact:
Most people don't realize part of the building is an addition from 1961, designed by prominent Buffalo firm Lyman & Associates (formerly Bley & Lyman). Duane Lyman was known for many buildings in Western NY including wealthy class custom homes.

Wiki photo from 1970 showing the addition on left

Last edited by Wigs; Apr 25, 2024 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 7:44 PM

Tasteful addition, considering it was done in the 1960s!

Buffalo looks great

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 8:00 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Tasteful addition, considering it was done in the 1960s!

Buffalo looks great
Photo from 2012
Unless having a keen eye most wouldn't even realize it's an addition

Wiki

As for an example of residential designs, Duane Lyman of then Bley & Lyman designed the c.1924 Goodyear mansion (lumber Baron family not the tire company). It was sold in 2023 for $1.5 million
Quote:
One of the original Goodyear mansions, this Tudor-Revival style home captures the essence of Buffalo’s Golden Age. The 9,500+ sqft stone residence was designed as a single family home by Bley & Lyman but is currently divided into 3 units – an owner’s unit (approx. 6,000sqft), a townhouse unit & a 3rd floor apartment. Owner’s unit features 4 bdrms/3 full & 2 half updated baths
short clip
Video Link

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...30188632_zpid/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 8:56 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

I never realized this until now that the Liberty Building kinda has a fraternal twin in Detroit, the Westin Book Cadillac (minus the Statue of Liberty twins up top):

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ed/8940989002/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post

Another fun fact:
Most people don't realize part of the building is an addition from 1961, designed by prominent Buffalo firm Lyman & Associates (formerly Bley & Lyman). Duane Lyman was known for many buildings in Western NY including wealthy class custom homes.
He was an also an incredible slide guitarist!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 9:54 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
I never realized this until now that the Liberty Building kinda has a fraternal twin in Detroit, the Westin Book Cadillac (minus the Statue of Liberty twins up top):
Good eye!
They're almost the same height as well, although I believe Book Cadillac is double the square footage. Liberty building is about 300,000 square feet.

Last edited by Wigs; Yesterday at 1:23 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
Yes, Fort Erie Ontario. My house in Buffalo is about a 5 mile bike ride to the Peace Bridge, which has a very wide and accessible walk/bike sidewalk. Ontario has an excellent bike/walk trail system all along the Niagara and lakeshores, and public beaches on Lake Erie. The water is about 1-1/2 miles wide at this point.

Taken from the bridge:

International Border by bpawlik, on Flickr

Bike Ride to Canada by bpawlik, on Flickr
Love this. I've been wanting to do an international day ride looping around from the Rainbow bridge down to the Peace Bridge and back for a while now.

The Rainbow Bridge annoyingly makes cyclists cross with cars despite having the busiest pedestrian crossing on the Canada / US border though, so that makes me a bit anxious..

Maybe I'll get around to doing it this summer.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions