HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:02 PM

If only Winnipeg had a downtown University. If only.. Hmm...

Being serious, I'm not up to speed on the comparisons of programming from U of M to U of W. But would seem U of W doesn't offer many of the opportunities that U of M would. If U of W expanded programming, to areas such as medicine or engineering, it would surely draw in more people no? When looking at post secondary schooling, U of W wasn't anywhere on my radar.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 3:17 PM

Very disturbing incident where an RR instructor was attacked in the Exchange. Apparently area security is being beefed up.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...497848251.html

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 3:20 PM

^ It feels like there has been a recent uptick in these kinds of random violent incidents... it's pretty alarming.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 4:54 PM

Apparently meth has a lot to do with it but the government is basically burying its head in the sand with regard to do doing anything proactive about it. Maybe weed will take the edge off.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Apparently meth has a lot to do with it but the government is basically burying its head in the sand with regard to do doing anything proactive about it. Maybe weed will take the edge off.
They should impose a $672 fine on those incidents, that'll get the cops right on it.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 4:59 PM

Meth has been around for a long time. Back in high school (15-20 years ago), people were allover that stuff. Out all night doing stupid things mid-week. I think it's more awareness these days than anything. Seens some pretty crazy people at parties back then.

Fentanyl on the other hand is much more dangerous. Haven't heard much about it locally since blowing up in the news a couple years ago.

It always seems like there's something the police will blame so they can increase budgets.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
They should impose a $672 fine on those incidents, that'll get the cops right on it.
lol right? Meanwhile in Ontario you can walk down the street smoking weed just like a cigarette.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Meth has been around for a long time. Back in high school (15-20 years ago), people were allover that stuff. Out all night doing stupid things mid-week. I think it's more awareness these days than anything. Seens some pretty crazy people at parties back then.

Fentanyl on the other hand is much more dangerous. Haven't heard much about it locally since blowing up in the news a couple years ago.

It always seems like there's something the police will blame so they can increase budgets.
Are you serious? There is a pretty well recognized meth epidemic going on in the city the past year. There have been a number of public pronouncements about it not just coming from the police.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 6:56 PM

My point being there has been a serious meth epidemic going on for at least 15 years. I've seen it. People died, people went crazy. It ruined lives. People I know.

Sorry, off topic for this thread.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
RRC Notre Dame campus itself is pretty good I thought. Well connected, good services, good cafeteria. If the complaint is it's far out from downtown on route 90, well, yes. That's exactly what it's always been.
I hate that place, always delays my panicked trips to the airport
Quote:

Being serious, I'm not up to speed on the comparisons of programming from U of M to U of W. But would seem U of W doesn't offer many of the opportunities that U of M would. If U of W expanded programming, to areas such as medicine or engineering, it would surely draw in more people no? When looking at post secondary schooling, U of W wasn't anywhere on my radar.
Well, a good one... jk

U of W would greatly beneifit from Engineering, Medicine, Law, and Business. Skew it from the hard left a little more central haha! I dunno, maybe they added Business recently? For some reason I'm thinking they may have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Lol. So true.
Quote:
lol right? Meanwhile in Ontario you can walk down the street smoking weed just like a cigarette.
I dunno... I absolutely can't stand the smell of weed... Plus cigarettes are far less prevalent now. I'm afraid the novelty combined with the strength of the smell might annoy me all day long.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I hate that place, always delays my panicked trips to the airport

Well, a good one... jk

U of W would greatly beneifit from Engineering, Medicine, Law, and Business. Skew it from the hard left a little more central haha! I dunno, maybe they added Business recently? For some reason I'm thinking they may have.

Lol. So true.

I dunno... I absolutely can't stand the smell of weed... Plus cigarettes are far less prevalent now. I'm afraid the novelty combined with the strength of the smell might annoy me all day long.
UofW definitely has a business program, Business & Economics are housed in the newer Buhler building.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
My point being there has been a serious meth epidemic going on for at least 15 years. I've seen it. People died, people went crazy. It ruined lives. People I know.

Sorry, off topic for this thread.
Not sure what we are debating here. There apparently has been a noticeable uptake in the number meth-related incidents in the past year, well documented. These things do go in cycle. That's what is being dealt with now. i don't think it really matters in 2018 that meth existed in 2003. There have been a lot of random attacks like the one I referenced above, although there has been no indication it was drug-induced yet.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:48 PM

IMO it always seems the police have some urgent, dramatic matter to deal with. To be clear, I support the police obviously. I just have a really, really hard time with their budgets and their union. It's always doom and gloom.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Not sure what we are debating here. There apparently has been a noticeable uptake in the number meth-related incidents in the past year, well documented. These things do go in cycle. That's what is being dealt with now. i don't think it really matters in 2018 that meth existed in 2003. There have been a lot of random attacks like the one I referenced above, although there has been no indication it was drug-induced yet.
With the government moving in on the marijuana racket the criminal element stepped it up with other products. Prices on meth are now a fraction of what they were ten years ago. And the supply is large. Anyone connected with the street - good chance they're doing it. I see it daily in my line of work.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 10:54 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
With the government moving in on the marijuana racket the criminal element stepped it up with other products. Prices on meth are now a fraction of what they were ten years ago. And the supply is large. Anyone connected with the street - good chance they're doing it. I see it daily in my line of work.
The law of unintended consequences is the most reliable law there is.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 11:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
There has been a huge increase in the consumption of meth all over Western Canada in the past 10 years. Having said that, meth does not necessarily make people violent. In fact, alcohol is the worst offender, by far, when it comes to making people violent and anti-social, and it is used exponentially greater than meth, so it cannot be explained away by any kind of meth epidemic.

Quote:
Fentanyl is a serious problem in Alberta and BC. The number of deaths associated with fentanyl was roughly 1,000 in Alberta last year, and over 1,000 in BC. Cities like Kelowna, Grande Prairie, and Red Deer have seen crisis levels of overdoses. So far, it is not nearly as bad in Manitoba, but it could catch up (per-capita) within a couple of years.

As this chart (and others from different sources indicate), methamphetamine is relatively harmless as opposed to alcohol. Attacks by meth users on strangers are very rare. Most incidents of violence concerning meth, are between users, or their significant others (who are often more than not, users)

Last edited by Jets4Life; Oct 19, 2018 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:

UW has closed the gap in recent years but UM still better for a lot of things and the only option for a lot of things. If you have drive and nothing else is a factor I'd recommend UM because of the availability of more options. For lots of the basic Arts / Social Sciences / Business there's not much difference strictly in quality of education you get but at UM you have more options if you want.

I'm pretty sure you can't just expand into Medicine and Engineering though - those would be tough places to start I'd imagine it requires at least 5-10 years of academic infrastructure to even get started.

--

Unrelated but just because I want more UM and RRC programs downtown doesn't mean I think its possible. UM especially has long history where it is so can't see it changing (and thats fine - nothing against them for doing that).

Same with RRC and the Notre Dame campus. I just know a lot of people who couldn't stand being there. However difference is I can actually see RRC thinking of something radical though as they have always been pretty forward thinking in this respect. If there's a way for them to unite everything downtown they are one of the few I'd trust to find and pull it off.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 7:46 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
There has been a huge increase in the consumption of meth all over Western Canada in the past 10 years. Having said that, meth does not necessarily make people violent. In fact, alcohol is the worst offender, by far, when it comes to making people violent and anti-social, and it is used exponentially greater than meth, so it cannot be explained away by any kind of meth epidemic.

Fentanyl is a serious problem in Alberta and BC. The number of deaths associated with fentanyl was roughly 1,000 in Alberta last year, and over 1,000 in BC. Cities like Kelowna, Grande Prairie, and Red Deer have seen crisis levels of overdoses. So far, it is not nearly as bad in Manitoba, but it could catch up (per-capita) within a couple of years.

As this chart (and others from different sources indicate), methamphetamine is relatively harmless as opposed to alcohol. Attacks by meth users on strangers are very rare. Most incidents of violence concerning meth, are between users, or their significant others (who are often more than not, users)
Just wanna point out that you may have a lurking variable here like oh say... alcohol is legal and meth is not. I'm certain that if meth were used to the same extent as alcohol that those numbers would look somewhat different.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 7:47 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
UW has closed the gap in recent years but UM still better for a lot of things and the only option for a lot of things. If you have drive and nothing else is a factor I'd recommend UM because of the availability of more options. For lots of the basic Arts / Social Sciences / Business there's not much difference strictly in quality of education you get but at UM you have more options if you want.

I'm pretty sure you can't just expand into Medicine and Engineering though - those would be tough places to start I'd imagine it requires at least 5-10 years of academic infrastructure to even get started.
Those are massively expensive programs where the University of Manitoba is already stretched to keep up with other programs in Canada. It is pretty unlikely that Manitoba could afford two separate medical schools or two university-level engineering programs.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 1:08 AM

I've often thought it would have been cool if the U of M was in a riverbend closer to downtown, but not downtown itself. Similar to U of A in Edmonton.

Imagine having the U of M in Riverview, or Norwood Flats...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan