HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:15 PM

I just ducked in here to compliment Max Towers on his detective work. Lots of good stuff in that post

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I did not know it was by the same developer.

It will be really cool once the area between Riverside and Lake Shore Blvd. is completely filled in. Looks like they are keeping an area open for park space too.
I'm hoping they start incorporating more retail on the ground floors of those buildings! Most of them so far are 100% residential aside from the leasing office.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I just ducked in here to compliment Max Towers on his detective work. Lots of good stuff in that post
Thanks. I picked this username as an ill-advised joke, though I guess it keeps my posts from showing up under my real name on Google.

Scuttlebutt says we'll apparently know more about this project in a couple of weeks.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Again, it's smaller than the Domain, which is almost built out at this point (~10 years), and was (after a short while) basically just Endeavor.

It's a nice development, but you're acting like this is some new unprecedented thing.

It's also much smaller than Mueller, and I believe that's been all Catellus so far.

*And that's _if_ they get the max zoning they're asking for (no sure thing) and build out to the max of the traffic analysis they're doing (also not guaranteed).
so I have to admit being wrong on the timeline, though it sounds like it's more a political thing than the actual scale of the development.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...n-project.html

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
The apartment across the street from Fifth and West do a decent job of making a varied faux-historic streetscape.

Yeah I live near this and it's ok when you walk by on street level, but I think overall it's pretty gross. It looks more like a movie set than actual historical buildings.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwinkles View Post
Yeah I live near this and it's ok when you walk by on street level, but I think overall it's pretty gross. It looks more like a movie set than actual historical buildings.
This is kind of inevitable when you think about the time these were built, and how much (little!) money/sq ft the market could bear back then. They neither could afford real old craftsmanship, nor could do high-quality modern construction and make any profit. So "movie set" it is.
Until the marker reaches price level that can support quality construction, quality construction can't happen.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 2:06 PM

Check out the first six items (C1-C6) on the agenda for the next Planning Commission meeting on 09/11. They have been postponed for further study, but they look like they could be related to Project Catalyst.

http://austintexas.gov/cityclerk/boa...tings/40_1.htm

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:19 PM
Resident Moron

Lets get this and the Statesman site going and start really bringing density to both sides of the river.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 8:08 PM

A permit was filed today for a project named "97 Acres East Riverside And Pleasant Valley" for a "commercial mixed use" project.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3073875

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
A permit was filed today for a project named "97 Acres East Riverside And Pleasant Valley" for a "commercial mixed use" project.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3073875
The Dallas address is the same I think as Presidium Group.
Is this case just about legally changing the lots for now into a single legal entity, or for an actual specific construction project incoming?

Applicant KBGE (Jennifer Garcia)
105 E RIVERSIDE DR AUSTIN TX 78704
Billed To Centaurus Property Management, LLC
3100 Mckinnon Street Dallas TX 75201

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:19 AM

The city should tread carefully with this one since this is a redevelopment and there are quite a few residents whose passion is only eclipsed by their ignorance:

https://defendourhoodz.tumblr.com/

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
The city should tread carefully with this one since this is a redevelopment and there are quite a few residents whose passion is only eclipsed by their ignorance:

Pretty well known that Defend Our Hoodz is an absolutely shit trash organization that uses awful intimidation tactics and misinformation to try and keep new businesses and development out of what they see as their rightful territory. Hopefully less people are taking them seriously.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:09 AM

Quote:

It's funny that they complain that there is no equity and lack of services on the east side but when job creators and services come to the east side, they cry of gentrification. I remember the same complaints when the IDEA school was being built in the Montopolis neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:

This is a loosely knit group of malcontents. Red Guards Austin is another that's under the same umbrella. They're like the armed faction of Defend Our Hoodz; they don't participate in the political system at all but just want to "overthrow" it. All these people probably live at Ballpark.

This is them entering, afaik, Club Latinos on Riverside to let their presence be known, before they were kicked out. Pure intimidation.

(Warning: loud music in video, just fyi if at work.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ji8qL5GzM8

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Pretty well known that Defend Our Hoodz is an absolutely shit trash organization that uses awful intimidation tactics and misinformation to try and keep new businesses and development out of what they see as their rightful territory. Hopefully less people are taking them seriously.
It's a strange world. The whole Riverside area was built for and lived in primarily by UT Students starting in the early 1970s. The older apartment complexes generally on the south side of Riverside were exited for the newer ones built on the north side of Riverside in the 1990s, including all the Ballpark ones.

As UT students have mostly left the area for housing close to the UT campus, another group has moved in. Yet, these shared room apartments are really for students, where there is a certain kind of social cohesion.

These rent by the room arrangements, where one lives with a few random other people, are a lot more problematic when not occupied by people of the same peer group. Lots of ex-cons mixed in with feckless druggie young adults, etc. The crime rate is horrendous there. The people I have the most sympathy for are the undocumented types who cause relatively few problems and who work really hard literally building the city.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundman View Post
It's funny that they complain that there is no equity and lack of services on the east side but when job creators and services come to the east side, they cry of gentrification. I remember the same complaints when the IDEA school was being built in the Montopolis neighborhood.
Yep, that's a classic hypocrisy of the "anti-gentrification" movement. Similar is the idea that gentrification is racist, but by the way, white people aren't allowed to live here.

I do think there is a conflict between affordability and desirability. Austin and Texas in general have been historically undervalued. In my eyes the rise in prices that we are seeing represents a correction of that more than it does some kind of failed policy by the city. Generally speaking the regions of the country that are especially affordable have depressed economies, poor weather, crime problems, etc.

The Ora Houston or PODER strategy of "if we keep this place dumpy, maybe it will stay cheap" isn't rooted in insanity, though it is probably (hopefully) only capable of delaying the inevitable.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
Yep, that's a classic hypocrisy of the "anti-gentrification" movement. Similar is the idea that gentrification is racist, but by the way, white people aren't allowed to live here.

I do think there is a conflict between affordability and desirability. Austin and Texas in general have been historically undervalued. In my eyes the rise in prices that we are seeing represents a correction of that more than it does some kind of failed policy by the city. Generally speaking the regions of the country that are especially affordable have depressed economies, poor weather, crime problems, etc.

The Ora Houston or PODER strategy of "if we keep this place dumpy, maybe it will stay cheap" isn't rooted in insanity, though it is probably (hopefully) only capable of delaying the inevitable.
well stated. agreed one hundred.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 3:34 PM
Love Austin

It's tough for me to see what DOH hopes to achieve here. On one side they call out the NIMBYs who often stand in the way of transit supportive density and community benefits obtained through building more and other the other hand they don't show a willingness to sit at the table and share what they hope to happen should redevelopment occur.

The developments that make up the Ballparks are cheap construction thrown up in the 90's. Pleasant Valley and Riverside is now an amazing area and it doesn't seem feasible to think that these are not going to be redeveloped. What I would hope to see DOH do is work for the people who want to live there and help them obtain better housing, possibly income restricted homes within the redevelopment. I've heard that this single development could constitute over 10% of Del Valle's tax base. Hard to not give that a serious review.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:02 PM
Everywhere all at once

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-...ies-1541446552

Just posted this in the HQ2 thread, but I think I should post it here to because honestly, if Austin (likely, along with NoVA,) is to be home to half a second Amazon Headquarters, it will be here. Consider the recent permitting; the location centrally between Downtown, the airport and East Austin, and between 35 and the upgraded 183, and beside the Oracle Campus; the location beside a trunk line of the latest Project Connect, and that initiative's recent progress.

And that all means East Riverside is about to drop like a hot potato

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 9:14 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-...ies-1541446552

Just posted this in the HQ2 thread, but I think I should post it here to because honestly, if Austin (likely, along with NoVA,) is to be home to half a second Amazon Headquarters, it will be here. Consider the recent permitting; the location centrally between Downtown, the airport and East Austin, and between 35 and the upgraded 183, and beside the Oracle Campus; the location beside a trunk line of the latest Project Connect, and that initiative's recent progress.

And that all means East Riverside is about to drop like a hot potato

Don't get your hopes up just yet. This doesn't mean Austin will get it by any means.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin