HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 12:27 PM
Back from the dead

Despite the trains, the location does have some major advantages over locations in other parts of the city.

Downtown, the Forks, anything else you can think of that's a destination in the city. Plus, you've got easy transit access and once the eastern leg of BRT goes through they'll be right on the line at one of what will surely become the busiest station in the city.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
It’s fun to watch all the trains go by in your backyard, isn’t it?
Many years ago I spend a lot of time at relatives that lived on Mission St and I got use to sleeping at night with all the trains from the CN line behind. And during they day I'd sit and wave at the trains and sometime the crew would wave back or use their air horn.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Busiest? Really? Our lines through town carry 140 trains/day, I don't think there are anywhere near that through Winnipeg.
Weird flex but OK

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 6:12 PM

^^^ riverman has to let us all know that even his ontario rail lines are far superior to any potentially better rail lines from the dregs of winnipeg that he is so happy to have left behind! all hail the far superior trains that pass by where he dwells! they would probably burn more efficiently if there was a derailment as well in that Ontario commerce-friendly air!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 6:23 PM

I guess this doesn't mean anything:

"Symington Yard is the largest of Canadian National Railway's rail classification yard in Canada, one of 20 intermodal facilities[1] and one the largest rail yards in the world.[2] The facility is located next to the Windsor Park area of Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Built in 1962 and named for former CNR Director Herbert James Symington (1881-1965)[3], it can store 7000 cars[4] and handles 3000 cars per day.[5]"

source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symington_Yard

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 6:28 PM

CN and CP carry about the same through Winnipeg on a daily basis. Closer to 100, but really, who cares.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Two km away. But yeah, nice to be somewhere with actual commerce and regular rail passenger service.
Passenger rail service in western Canada has all but been ignored by VIA but seriously with such vast distances who has time to take the train. Not having passenger rail service through the country's fourth largest city is also pretty stupid.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 6:41 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
^^^ riverman has to let us all know that even his ontario rail lines are far superior to any potentially better rail lines from the dregs of winnipeg that he is so happy to have left behind! all hail the far superior trains that pass by where he dwells! they would probably burn more efficiently if there was a derailment as well in that Ontario commerce-friendly air!
Someone mentioned the CN line through downtown was one of the busiest in Canada. It isn't. Not even close.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Someone mentioned the CN line through downtown was one of the busiest in Canada. It isn't. Not even close.
"One of" the busiest. Not "the busiest". There is a difference.

It is correct to say it is one of the busiest, because it is.

Not that it's some kind of feather in Winnipeg's cap or anything... most of the freight trains are passing through along the main line. Until you made your comment, it never occurred to me that having a bunch of freight trains rumbling through town was something to brag about.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Will he become RiverTrain man?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Many years ago I spend a lot of time at relatives that lived on Mission St and I got use to sleeping at night with all the trains from the CN line behind. And during they day I'd sit and wave at the trains and sometime the crew would wave back or use their air horn.
I actually don’t think the trains are going to be an issue. I was more reacting to RiverTrain man’s incessant one-upmanship.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Will he become RiverTrain man?
Nah, Cobourg's on a lake, Laketrainman should do!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 4:19 PM

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Report 8. The presentation shows a rendering of the site from on top of the parkade. Not sure how accurate it is. but gives a good sense of what the site will be.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Report 8. The presentation shows a rendering of the site from on top of the parkade. Not sure how accurate it is. but gives a good sense of what the site will be.
I love the idea but wish we committed to a little more density and a little more height to the area.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I love the idea but wish we committed to a little more density and a little more height to the area.
I'm having a little trouble with it. I don't think anyone can say it looks great from a birds-eye perspective... looks kind of like a housing project, to be honest, with the buildings scattered around willy-nilly.

But then again, the market area at The Forks is not really spectacularly beautiful on its own, but it works nicely to create a wonderful environment at street level.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 5:03 PM
surely you agree with me

height and density are not necessarily the same thing. This site will be very dense.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 5:47 PM

Love the look of the density of the properties but the roads running through there make me sick

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 6:12 PM
What could go wrong?

After just returning from Zurich, Milan, Venice and Rome I can say that I love the idea of the density and little squares being proposed. Seeing cities like those sure change your view on the importance of skyscrapers. Absolutely amazing cities to walk around in, shop, eat etc. Don't get me wrong, I still love tall buildings and wish for more in downtown but the vibe and pedestrian feel of densely packed neighbourhoods really can't be beat.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 6:19 PM

^ Hard to argue with that. Even small towns in Europe can throb with vibrant street life because of density and the way they practically encourage people to be out and about. Something sorely missing from here.

BTW welcome back, was that trip in lieu of Africa or in addition to it?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 6:34 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Hard to argue with that. Even small towns in Europe can throb with vibrant street life because of density and the way they practically encourage people to be out and about. Something sorely missing from here.

BTW welcome back, was that trip in lieu of Africa or in addition to it?
We scrapped Africa last minute and changed course to Italy. We weren't disappointed. The kids loved it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan