HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 11:33 PM

You will all be assimilated!!

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 11:54 PM
`

It looks more like this:

... or this:

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 1:59 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I think this is just a concept anyway.

Just as a general rant I'm starting to get sick of these "starchitects" who are so up their own asses they forget actual real people will have to use their buildings. Go to OMA's website and you'll see one of their proposals is a giant concrete slab that attempts to revolutionalise architecture since everything built up until now has been crap and now we need to be shown the real, right ways. What a load of bollocks! Sometimes the only difference between those rotating skyscrapers and these starchitect buildings are that the latter have some bullshit theory attempting to rationalise it. Architecture is NOT art in that if you build a shit building people will have to look at your eyesore for god knows how long, people will have to use the building and move around in it, etc. When someone goes to a museum they can choose not to look at a work if they don't like it while the same certainly does not work for a building.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 2:12 AM

Based on those renderings I don't see any wide open convention floor space. How can you hold a convention if there isn't any floor space?

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 2:22 AM
Stay Thirsty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKidD View Post
Since it's Dubai, it should be a super star destroyer:
Gee...put it on its side and we could build another crazy tower....

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 12:02 PM
The True Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugbelch View Post
It looks more like this:

I used to have one of those radios! Gotta love the 70's.

Old Posted May 27, 2007, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Just as a general rant I'm starting to get sick of these "starchitects" who are so up their own asses they forget actual real people will have to use their buildings. Go to OMA's website and you'll see one of their proposals is a giant concrete slab that attempts to revolutionalise architecture since everything built up until now has been crap and now we need to be shown the real, right ways. What a load of bollocks! Sometimes the only difference between those rotating skyscrapers and these starchitect buildings are that the latter have some bullshit theory attempting to rationalise it. Architecture is NOT art in that if you build a shit building people will have to look at your eyesore for god knows how long, people will have to use the building and move around in it, etc. When someone goes to a museum they can choose not to look at a work if they don't like it while the same certainly does not work for a building.
you hit the nail on the head. starchitecture has turned architecture into fashion. instead of being driven by 'practical' concepts like efficiency and practicality and sustainability, it's driven by hype. thus koolhaas can be considered along with the likes of puff daddy and gloria vanderbilt. and we all know how much talent is put into their products.

if it weren't for the hype, it just wouldn't work.

Old Posted May 27, 2007, 10:07 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
C.R.A.Z.Y!!!!!!!!!

This is perhaps the only good architecture to come out of Dubai...

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide_rule View Post
you hit the nail on the head. starchitecture has turned architecture into fashion. instead of being driven by 'practical' concepts like efficiency and practicality and sustainability, it's driven by hype. thus koolhaas can be considered along with the likes of puff daddy and gloria vanderbilt. and we all know how much talent is put into their products.

if it weren't for the hype, it just wouldn't work.
it's so sad that so many people think this way. how do you know that it isn't efficient or sustainable architecture? you can't tell by those renders. It's sad that even in the schools of architecure -at least in the U.S.- people are so "old school". Change, like i've said before is a good thing. Then again, I'm glad most people don't like it, otherwise it wouldn't get the "hype" you talk about. And for you to compare Koolhaas with Puff Daddy? WTF mate?!

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 8:13 PM

This is probably the most rediculous thing I have ever seen. Oh, and the name of this forum needs to be changed to "Crazy George Lucas design - ..."
At least give the proper credit to the design. Im all for new designs and innovation, and am not at all a "jealous American," but why on earth would anyone ever want a design like this in the world at all, let ALONE in their own city?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 6:08 PM

Quote:
it's so sad that so many people think this way. how do you know that it isn't efficient or sustainable architecture
cause a convention center needs a large a floorplate as possible. spreading out convention space over 20 or 30 floors divides the exhibition space, and forces the utilities to occupy what should have been floorspace. just in case you can somehow guarantee that each floor has 'enough' space, you'll still need to figure out the logistics of transporting the various attendees to and from each floor. thus even the largest convention centers of the largest, most congested cities (e.g. new york, hong kong, tokyo) have convention centers which occupy only a few floors.

i don't have anything against dubai. however starchitecture is often evil. the celeb status allows starchitects to indulge in the most impractical, unreasonable designs.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 6:48 PM
Ω

renders arent showing up

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 10:01 PM

So, what does it look like ?

Bert

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 5:06 PM

Anyone want to repost the renders?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 7:43 PM
Winter wonderlander

Look here: http://www.eikongraphia.com/?p=1499 Still wouldn't accept Dubai as my father. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 1:07 PM

Im expecting a laser to come out of that circle thing

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive