HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 12:43 AM
James

From the looks of the area, it might be within the Alamo view shed, which is probably why it is so short. But hey, density sounds amazing right now.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 12:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
From the looks of the area, it might be within the Alamo view shed, which is probably why it is so short. But hey, density sounds amazing right now.
Very true. I don’t remember if the Rim's new hotel is six floors (I think so), but if it is any indication of how the two six story buildings will look, I am okay with it, but I will complain later ---we are human lol

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 3:30 AM

The Moore building, at the corner of Houston/Broadway across from Neisners, is 6 floors and is a nice builidng. I just hope they build right up to the sidewalk on Houston St., but I may be hoping for too much.
I get this feeling now that the rest of the development around DT is losing some ground. I guess we just need to let some residential soak in (Durango Phase VC, St. B's, Altezza if they can ever complete it) and maybe we can get another announcement or two out of Rivercenter or something new on Houston. I guess its a waiting game now.
Speaking of the Durango Apartments, has anyone else seen the progress?
Those things are peaking over the treeline and are about done on building 1. They change the streetscape on Durango completely. I can't wait until the announcement comes out that those parking lots on Durango will be gone.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 6:14 AM
James

Do you have any more pics Miah? I haven't been able to get down there since August 3.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
The Moore building, at the corner of Houston/Broadway across from Neisners, is 6 floors and is a nice builidng. I just hope they build right up to the sidewalk on Houston St., but I may be hoping for too much.
I get this feeling now that the rest of the development around DT is losing some ground. I guess we just need to let some residential soak in (Durango Phase VC, St. B's, Altezza if they can ever complete it) and maybe we can get another announcement or two out of Rivercenter or something new on Houston. I guess its a waiting game now.
Speaking of the Durango Apartments, has anyone else seen the progress?
Those things are peaking over the treeline and are about done on building 1. They change the streetscape on Durango completely. I can't wait until the announcement comes out that those parking lots on Durango will be gone.
What's the status of the Aloft hotel?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 5:57 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I found a permit.

http://epay.sanantonio.gov/bipi2/Per...327&ptype=1004

Design is by Bounds and Gillespie Architects out of Memphis. It appears to be two hotels each with six floors. BNG designs hotels under the Hilton, Marriott, Choice, and ICH brands. Contractor is listed as Enrique Serna of Serna & Associates PLL (locally based).

This project has been tight lipped!
Thanks for confirming! This forum is very efficient. I'm a little dissapointed that it isn't any taller, but I am sure glad that the area will get some much needed shade. I hate walking around that area during the day. Too hot! I'll keep my eyes and ears open for the next secret. Oh, and I've been told where the Blackstone will be located, but once again its not confirmed. I'll try to get more info. Probably shouldn't post that anyway, i think its supposed to be a secret. What do you guys think?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 6:33 PM
BANNED

I dont think its ever been a secret: http://blackstonelounge.com/cms/

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 7:56 PM

I really like how those aprtments on Durango are turning out. I like that they are so close to the street as well and not far offset like its predecessor. Once finished out it will truly enhace that gateway into downtown with a more urban feel by seeing so many people living so close to DT. And though only what 4 stories they do a lot to enhance that area and and even seeing em from the highway they look pretty impressive. I drove by them a few nights ago, coming from under the highway bridge and it looked pretty eery though. It reminded me of New Orleans when we went a couple of years back because the street lighting weasn't so good then I see a half built housing unit. and w/ the ITC with minimal lighting it gave me a quick flashback to seeing a neighborhood in New Orleans that had been destroyed and was half standing. But once it's done and people move in I'm sure it wouldn't be comparable to that anymore.

Anyone know what those mini craters in the ground are at those apartments? I always see a couple of them around the streets. I've always thought maybe they were planning on seetting up small ponds or something with fountains or I wasn't sure if they just had something to do w/ drainage or something

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
Oh, and I've been told where the Blackstone will be located, but once again its not confirmed. I'll try to get more info. Probably shouldn't post that anyway, i think its supposed to be a secret. What do you guys think?
It's up to you what you post. Even if it is posted here, I still think it will be a secret to 99.99% of SA.

I assumed it was probably off of Soledad by the Crowne Plaza, but please, do share.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Aug 31, 2009 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 11:47 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
I dont think its ever been a secret: http://blackstonelounge.com/cms/
Thanks for referencing the website was introduced to me long ago in the Construction forum by supercool Paul in Satx. A vague reference to the Riverwalk wasn't good enough for me. I wanted to know exactly where on the family oriented riverwalk will these pasties be dangling. My job and web of downtown friends sometimes get me "back door" information, so I think I found the location; but even the guys working on the place only knew it as a "burlesque" venue. That is why I was wondering if anyone may have heard something.

And unless the owner changed his mind, he wanted the location to be a secret.
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...ne-lounge.html

Took some photos of the Marriott Courtyard Interior today. Sorry guys I missed the tour, so I could only go to the 2nd floor today. Hardly impressive pics, but will post them later anyway.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 3:25 AM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Some (so so) pics of Marriott Courtyard Riverwalk views

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fireoutofclay/3873227078/

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 9:06 PM

I think that these apartments are going to make a huge difference to DT. It not only adds to the streetscape of Durango, it also brings a sort of connectivity to the existing apartments and townhomes.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 3:47 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

What's great about the apartments on Durango is that they're right across from Hemisfair Park and the city/Mayor/downtown wants to build residential housing in Hemisfair abutting Durango. Where the ITC, Federal Courthouse, etc are now.

It would make for a great Streetcar line. From the west end of downtown to the east end at the Dome.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 6:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
What's great about the apartments on Durango is that they're right across from Hemisfair Park and the city/Mayor/downtown wants to build residential housing in Hemisfair abutting Durango. Where the ITC, Federal Courthouse, etc are now.

It would make for a great Streetcar line. From the west end of downtown to the east end at the Dome.
I do not understand why such a big deal is being made about these little apartment buildings. They look, although not finished, like any other apartment complex in San Antonio, or city. This is not meant to create agitation, for this is pretty trivial to even cause a big stick, but, on that note, confusion is the main feeling for such excitement on this average looking complex.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 11:25 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
I do not understand why such a big deal is being made about these little apartment buildings. They look, although not finished, like any other apartment complex in San Antonio, or city. This is not meant to create agitation, for this is pretty trivial to even cause a big stick, but, on that note, confusion is the main feeling for such excitement on this average looking complex.
Seriously bro, are trying to always bring something negative to the table?

Yes, it's very common for apartment complexes to have residential units built around a parking garage. It's also common for these apartments to abut sidewalks and streets. It's sooo common we forgot about it. Huh?

Oh yeah, I bet their finished appearance will look quite common as well.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:15 PM

Quote:

While it may seem common to you, it is more than an average apartment complex in the bigger picture of all things Downtown. These apartments will have a much bigger impact than, say, more apartments along 1604. They will create density in a place where not too many (newer) multi-family units or rental housing is available.
This apartment complex will have about 250 units, which, if they average 2 people per unit, will bring about 500 residents to downtown. Add this to the #'s at Vistana, Vidorra, and Judson Lofts and all of a sudden you have close to 1200+ residents more than there were 2 years ago.
Not only does this increase "feet on the street," it also adds a local face at downtown establishments. It might also increase demand for local-serving retail.
Any positive step forward in increasing the # of residents is better than being stagnant or having a decline.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Sep 2, 2009 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:49 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

thanks miaht. exactly. (and that is a lot of units - wow)

speaking of apartments in DT...

the soap-werks duo would make lovely sites for vistana-like structures. now, as you all know, i am all about killing surface lots, but i would also love to see those sites get re-imagined in the coming years as demand builds up and land becomes even more expensive. the fact that they are already residential means that it could be a quick tear-down/turnaround with a huge boost in overall units.

(i lived on 26th/rio grande in austin and i went back one day after i had lived in africa to find my ancient 3-story apartments replaced by a mid-rise complex. just sayin.)

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
thanks miaht. exactly. (and that is a lot of units - wow)

speaking of apartments in DT...

the soap-werks duo would make lovely sites for vistana-like structures. now, as you all know, i am all about killing surface lots, but i would also love to see those sites get re-imagined in the coming years as demand builds up and land becomes even more expensive. the fact that they are already residential means that it could be a quick tear-down/turnaround with a huge boost in overall units.

(i lived on 26th/rio grande in austin and i went back one day after i had lived in africa to find my ancient 3-story apartments replaced by a mid-rise complex. just sayin.)
I hope they aren't "historical." That lot is huge!! It has 380 units now, but with that size lot, you could fit close to 2 times that in a Vistana-like structure.
They were built in 1975. Maybe, once demand goes up a little bit, they'll have a 40 year anniversary demo party.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 8:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
I'm not even good at sarcasm.

the point was that brackenridge, like TOA, is part of the fabric of the city and is untouchable in development terms.
I just saw this. I was not being sarcastic, if that is what you were saying.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 11:03 PM

Yes the apartments will make an impact, but I don't expect them to kick off a Dubai-like building spree. Just here around UTSA another 2,000 apartment bedrooms opened in the past couple months. A lot more are in the planning or construction stages. No, none of these apartments abut the street or utilize a parking garage. Even so it is still more dense that single family subdivisions. Imagine if UTSA, USAA, and Valero would have been built downtown? We'd be decades ahead of where we are now. Our downtown is still attracting mostly tourist related business.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio