HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 4:07 PM
Chaos Machine

The tower looks beautiful in the renderings, but I think they lie tremendously about how the building would actually look if built. This building seems completely isolated, like a fortress on a hill... shying away from the rest of the city. How do people get there? That alone overshadows any notions of it being "sustainable" to me.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 9:54 PM
Onkel Dagobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious View Post
The tower looks beautiful in the renderings, but I think they lie tremendously about how the building would actually look if built. This building seems completely isolated, like a fortress on a hill... shying away from the rest of the city. How do people get there? That alone overshadows any notions of it being "sustainable" to me.
I think that the isolation and fortress aspect of the building is deliberate, as that the building is intended for use by the oligarchs controlling Russia's natural resources and industrial base, as well as foreigners doing business with them. The remote location ensures peace and quiet as well as more importantly security. That way these people don't have to mingle with the other 99%.
How do they get their? Easy! Either by a private controlled-access security road or by helicopter (I'm not kidding here- the oligarchs in Russia are worth billions of $$).

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 2:03 AM
Stay Thirsty.

This thing kinda creeps me out....being in the middle of the forest. Watch it become self aware and slaughter everyone inside its innards. And the isolation totally screams "feudalist castle on the hill." Pretty insulting and a slap in the face if I'm a Russian commoner.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 2:58 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus-Fruit View Post
Foster Proposes `Diamond' Tower for Siberian Oil City

Josephine Cutts, a spokeswoman for Fosters & Partners, the London-based architectural design company Foster heads, confirmed it was involved in the project. Cutts declined to elaborate further.

The skyscraper would be Foster's fourth Russian project. Foster & Partners is designing the Zaryadye project close to Moscow's Red Square, the Moscow City Towers and the $320 million New Holland project in St. Petersburg.
No mention of Foster's 600m+ Tower of Russia. I have not been around much in the last couple of months, did it die?

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 6:47 AM
Stay Thirsty.

Last I heard it was supposed to break ground in early June...like June 10th-ish? Someone woulda posted something. Prolly just got delayed, or they are waiting a few months to say "uhhh, no we can't/won't build it."

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 1:06 PM
millard fillmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
why do i think north korean unfinished 100 storey tower part deux.
you shouldn't. a) russia is not north korea. b) this is an ego project but not to the sickening extent of ryugyong. c) there is money in siberia and lots of it (oil, diamonds, basically every other mineral worth something), north korea had almost no money at the time. d) russia is not north korea.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 2:08 PM
Chaos Machine

^I think they were having some problems with the foundation of Russia Tower, I believe more with getting city approval or something. I spoke with one of the main engineers on the project a few months ago, but I forget the exact issue. Supposedly the basement will be ~150 feet deep, so I believe that may be what is causing the huge delay on it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious View Post
^I think they were having some problems with the foundation of Russia Tower, I believe more with getting city approval or something. I spoke with one of the main engineers on the project a few months ago, but I forget the exact issue. Supposedly the basement will be ~150 feet deep, so I believe that may be what is causing the huge delay on it.
Nope.
It`s just municipal authority, who link the beginning of works to the redevelopment of neighbouring district.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 7:39 PM

That's certainly different, especially to be built out in the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 4:41 PM

Is this designed by the same people that designed the chrystal tower in Moscow?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 4:42 PM

Is this designed by the same people that designed the chrystal tower in Moscow?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive