HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 4:50 AM

Is anybody going to the King Ave. Building meeting tomorrow? I would go, but I think some of you guys would be able to deliver a much stronger case as you have better knowledge.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 4:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 View Post
Is anybody going to the King Ave. Building meeting tomorrow? I would go, but I think some of you guys would be able to deliver a much stronger case as you have better knowledge.
when and were is it?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 3:41 PM
Closed account

Some of the hottest developments are near train lines - In cities across the country, mass-transit lines are the new frontier in urban development. In dozens of cities -- from Charlotte, N.C., to Denver to Portland, Ore. -- the hottest redevelopment project is happening next to the local train station. Aging transit hubs and stops along new and expanded train lines are being transformed into multi-use developments that offer housing, retailing, restaurants and offices.
Wall St. Journal, Jun 14, 2007

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 2:24 PM

Meeting

Reminder - the meeting is this Wednesday nite at 8PM. Let's try to be on time as I think the Fyxx closes at 10 on Wednesdays.
Some of this - - will happen after to celebrate our first project!

Last edited by good_dude; Jun 18, 2007 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 11:36 PM

next meeting...

Good meeting last time, we got a lot of stuff covered!

In terms of the next meeting, how about Wed. or Thurs. the 18th or 19th?

Thurs. might be a bit better since they stay open an hour later at the Fyxx.

So far for the agenda:

1) Streetcar update - Andrew & Lee
2) Vision Statement - Andrew
3) Positions in WUI - Andrew & Marc
4) Website update - Marc (and Joyce?)
5) Paypal account update - Adrian
6) Action Plans - Andrew
7) ...beers...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 5:39 AM
I Like It When You Hit Me

nice to see my idea has had some traction with you guys.
keep up the good work.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 12:27 AM

10 steps to good urban planning

A planning advisory group from Delaware asked Harris Steinberg (of the School of Design at the University of Pennsylvania) for 10 steps to good urban planning. The context is Philadelphia, but it's short & snappy & worth a look...

1. STREET SMARTS

Does the project respect the Philadelphia block structure or does it sprawl over many acres? Does the building squarely meet the sidewalk or float in a suburban-style landscape?

Philadelphia city blocks are easy to walk along with a fine-grained city street grid that disperses multiple building uses and traffic efficiently.

2. DOES SIZE MATTER?

How big is the project? Macy's and Wal-Mart are both big retail boxes but Macy's (the old Wanamaker's) sits on a city street with parking below grade and shop windows on the sidewalk. Wal-Mart is an island surrounded by a sea of surface parking. Which would you rather walk past?

3. CITIES ARE FOR PEOPLE

Cities and riverfronts are made for people. Is the development pedestrian-friendly, designed in a way that will encourage walking, biking, strolling and jogging? Is there public art to lift the spirit?

Do the public spaces encourage people to linger and socialize or is it a gated community designed to keep the public out?

4. WATERFRONT TRAINING

Does the development support public transit, or is it solely dependent on cars? Look for development that reduces our carbon footprint and promotes mixed-use, transit-oriented projects.

5. PAVING PARADISE

How are cars handled? Are they parked discretely out of sight, underground or behind buildings? Or is the site overwhelmed by parking (on the surface or in garages)? Storing cars takes up a lot of room and sucks the vibrancy out of urban areas.

6. SELF-AWARENESS

Can you see the water from the street or does the development create a wall between the public and the water? Think about how you don't know there's an ocean out there when you drive down Pacific Avenue in Atlantic City. You want to be able to see the river as you move along the river.

7. EDGE CONDITION

Public access to the river's edge is your right. After all, the river's edges are held in public trust by the commonwealth for the people of the state. Make sure that development allows you to gracefully get to the water to boat, fish, relax and exercise. And once you're there, make sure you can walk and bike north and south along the river.

8. WHERE'S THE BEEF?

What does the ground floor of the development look like? Are there shops and cafes, hair salons and dry cleaners? Or are there blank walls, mechanical rooms, loading docks and parking garages. Make sure that the ground floor has active, people-oriented spaces and places.

9. BUILD ON THE PAST

Does the development respect our history or destroy it? How are existing structures from the industrial past used in the new development? Will the new building be a future landmark?

10. RESPECT FOR THE RIVER

The river and its edge are part of a significant ecosystem. Does the development respect the watershed? Does it skillfully manage storm water, reduce greenhouse gases and contribute to the quality of life of the river wards?

These are the basic building blocks of sound urban planning. They put people first. It's the city's job to establish the street grid, create parks and open spaces, and lay down rules that the development community follows. It's the developers' job to build projects that respect the public's right to live, work and play along generous streets, sidewalks and public spaces that connect us with the river and each other. *

Find this article at:
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/opin..._PLANNING.html

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 3:00 AM

^Thursday sounds good. Good find Andrew!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 View Post
^Thursday sounds good. Good find Andrew!
YUP, tomorrow, 8PM the Fyxx. Lots going on at this meeting, including some new developments..

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 9:05 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_dude View Post
YUP, tomorrow, 8PM the Fyxx. Lots going on at this meeting, including some new developments..
don't forget frindge is going on

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
don't forget frindge is going on
by my calculations you'd only miss one show out of the 96 being offered. and you could probably catch it in another time slot

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 11:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_dude View Post
by my calculations you'd only miss one show out of the 96 being offered. and you could probably catch it in another time slot
thats not what i was talking about but ok lol

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 5:06 PM

Complete Streets

Here's an article about the new "Complete Streets" Movement...

'Complete streets' program gives more room for pedestrians, cyclists

By John Ritter, USA TODAY
A growing number of states and local governments are rejecting a half-century of transportation practice and demanding that streets accommodate all types of travel, not just automobiles.

The concept of "complete streets" — with bike lanes, sidewalks and room for mass transit — has attracted a diverse national alliance of supporters, including advocates for senior citizens and the disabled.

ROLE OF DEMOGRAPHICS: Seniors' support

Fourteen states, six counties, 10 regional governments and 52 cities have complete streets policies, according to the National Complete Streets Coalition. In Illinois, a complete streets bill awaits the governor's signature. In California, a bill passed one house.

Massachusetts and at least 11 cities — including Seattle, Honolulu, Chicago, Salt Lake City, Madison, Wis., and Jackson, Miss. — have approved complete streets policies since last year, the coalition says.

Some states, such as Oregon and Florida, have had the equivalent of complete streets policies for years, but the "overarching concept jelled just in the last few years," coalition coordinator Barbara McCann says.

Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, plans to sponsor a federal complete streets bill, spokeswoman Jennifer Mullen says.

"We didn't build sidewalks here for 50 years," says Norm Steinman, planning manager for Charlotte's transportation department. "Streets designed by traffic engineers in the '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s were mostly for autos."

Advocates say complete streets can help fight obesity by making it easier to walk and give seniors who don't drive more options.

"As an aging society, we need to look at the ability to get where we want to go not just as the driver of a car," says Elinor Ginzler, AARP's livable communities director. "Walking safely, getting to the bus stop safely, has to become more possible."

Critics say the policies ignore decades of transportation planning that carved cities into networks of roads according to their function.

"I'm not really a big fan of complete streets," says David Hartgen, emeritus transportation professor at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. "You encourage drivers to divert to other neighborhoods. You're dumping your auto pollution on someone else. And ultimately it's not very effective. You haven't changed total travel."

The League of California Cities opposes the complete streets bill because it would require local governments to adopt it without allocating more planning money.

"It's not that we don't agree with the ideas behind the bill," says Bill Higgins, the league's senior attorney.

Auto club AAA hasn't taken a position on complete streets, but addressing all street users' needs upfront "is a good thing," spokesman Geoff Sundstrom says.

CITIES DRIVING CHANGE

Some cities with the "complete streets" program:

•Charlotte
•Chicago
•Colorado Springs
•Honolulu
•Iowa City
•Salt Lake City
•San Diego
•San Francisco
•West Palm Beach, Fla.

Source: National Complete Streets Coalition

SHARING THE ROAD

States with "complete streets" programs:

• California
• Florida
• Illinois1
• Kentucky
• Maryland
• Massachusetts
• North Carolina
• Oregon
• Pennsylvania
• Rhode Island
• South Carolina
• Tennessee
• Vermont
• Virginia

1 Passed a bill, awaiting governor's signature

Source: National Complete Streets Coalition

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 7:36 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Is tonight's meeting still on schedule?

We're supposed to meet at the Exchange District Fyxx @ 8 p.m.

Normally I go to church at that time, but can go to an earlier mass if I get word we're meeting.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 8:03 PM
Robot Hand is the Future

Yes, we're meeting tonight at 8 at the Fyxx on Albert. Please bring your membership form and dues.

See you all there/then.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 9:18 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
Yes, we're meeting tonight at 8 at the Fyxx on Albert. Please bring your membership form and dues.

See you all there/then.
Thanks for the heads up Marc. I'll try to attend but this comes as very short notice for me.... should be a great meeting.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post

See you all there/then.
But if the t-storm comes at that time, I'll have to pass. They're predicting hail, strong winds, etc...

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ind...ion=wwcamb0007

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 1:22 AM
I am a typical

Tornado watches in a few areas, too. Something to look forward to tomorrow. Severe weather always waits until you have plans to make an appearance.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Tornado watches in a few areas, too. Something to look forward to tomorrow. Severe weather always waits until you have plans to make an appearance.
It does indeed.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 12:54 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
Thanks for the heads up Marc. I'll try to attend but this comes as very short notice for me.... should be a great meeting.

So, did anyone actually have the pleasure of meeting Winnipeg's biggest booster at the last meeting, since he was so keen on attending?

Just curious

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan