HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 4:48 AM

Any recent news on this one? I totally don't understand why the Fosters tower was not accepted. What is so bad about it. It looks rather original. It is not a usual "box" -- so it is something that we need in NYC (Oroginality). Anybody know anything about it?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 4:59 AM
Pacific Wonderland

This is one of the biggest disappointments I have read about on this board. Not a Burj Dubai or anything, but an renovation with a purpose and a damn nice tower to go along with it. Oh well. Now they may get a nice light-blocking squat tower. I don't get it, 22 stories? WTF is the big deal, this is MANHATTAN. jeez.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 8:36 AM
Ω

i wonder if they're keeping foster for the more 'classic' design. Should be interesting to see him do something like that.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 12:42 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylife View Post
Heh? If you can't see how London has kept vital by embracing its past and the future, as New York should (and as Paris and Hong Kong haven't), then I'm guessing you just have a chip on your shoulder about London because it's cooler than NY...even though you live in New Jersey LOL. Not that Paris and HK aren't vital, but London's model is a better way to go for NY - an emphasis on historic preservation but not at the expense of modernity. I don't understand why you're so tweenie girl about it or on what level you disagree.

There's so much to disagree with in this silly paragraph, it's hard to know where to even begin.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 12:45 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Here we go:

Looks pretty "cool" to me, NY Guy!

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 12:56 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylife View Post
What's so funny? London has been able to keep its historical and architectural integrity and heritage while being modern and dynamic.

New York can't learn anything from how London has adapted? Ha ha, Hilarious.

The thing is, London has far more truly old history than New York. What makes New York what it is in the eyes of the world is a scale all its own, and the fact that even older developments like the ESB were startling developments for their day... such as the entire Westside proejct will be in our times. So on those two points, you're comparing apples and oranges. I've decided that's all I'm going to say on this topic, because obviously you're looking for some sort of New York/London thing, and it's not worth even a keystroke to have to state certain things that are just obvious.

I ❤️ NY

Last edited by CoolCzech; Nov 21, 2007 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 6:24 AM

Redesigning a Building to Preserve Peace in the Neighborhood

The original plan.

Above, Norman Foster’s new
design for expanding the Parke-
Bernet Gallery building.

By NICOLAI OUROUSSOFF
Published: May 14, 2008

You have to pity any architect who appears before the landmarks committee of the Upper East Side’s community board. Packed with amateur preservationists, it is notoriously adverse to anything new.

Two years ago, an effort to preserve two nondescript brownstone facades forced the Whitney Museum of American Art to drastically revise a plan to expand its Madison Avenue home; ultimately that project was scuttled. The group seems as open to the notion that cities can change as some biblical fundamentalists are to evolution.

The recent battle over the Parke-Bernet Gallery building, an austere 1950s-era limestone structure on Madison Avenue between 76th and 77th Streets, is a case in point. When the British architect Norman Foster first presented his proposal to erect a 30-story glass tower atop the existing building, many neighborhood residents were outraged. “A glass dagger plunged into the heart of the Upper East Side,” one said.

The project’s developer, Aby Rosen, sent Mr. Foster back to the drawing board, and he has returned with a plan, one that both hope will be more palatable to neighborhood preservationists. Clad in elegant bronze bands, its low blocky form would rest directly on the existing structure, echoing its exact proportions. More important, perhaps, it would be far less visible from the multimillion-dollar penthouse apartments just across the street.

Should the plan be approved, it would only underscore the bizarre thinking behind decisions governing historic landmark cases today. Both proposals would have significantly changed the building; both are thoughtful attempts to fuse old and new without compromising either.

But the new design is more polite and less original, hewing to the reactionary view that most contemporary architecture is best when it is invisible. Little wonder that this neighborhood has not gained a significant new work of architecture in more than a quarter-century.

Planting modern appendages on top of old buildings is an unnerving trend these days in Manhattan real estate, where soaring prices can make any empty space look like a money-making opportunity. Just two years ago Mr. Foster completed a faceted glass-and-steel tower that pierces the core of the 1928 Hearst Building, a low limestone structure that looked a bit like a mausoleum, anyway. And plans are in the works for a 40-story office tower atop the Port Authority bus terminal and a 140-room hotel on the Battery Maritime Building in Lower Manhattan.

But the Parke-Bernet building has neither the charm nor the civic stature of the Beaux-Arts Maritime Building. With five floors of commercial offices and art galleries, its austere form, punctured by a single row of windows at the sixth floor, is a subdued interpretation of the hard-edged architecture of Rockefeller Center — minus the glamour. As architecture, it does have a subtle impact on its surroundings, offering a pleasing contrast to the early-19th-century brick structures on either side.

In his original proposal Mr. Foster sought to strengthen those contrasts rather than smooth them over. Only the elevator core would have penetrated the existing building; the rest of the tower would have seemed to float just above the building’s northern end, barely touching it. Its oval floors would have housed luxury apartments with 360-degree views. The building’s old roof, meanwhile, would have been transformed into a luxurious roof garden.

By comparison with the Hearst Tower’s faceted exterior, the Parke-Bernet project’s oval form seemed rather slick and subdued. Still, the idea — held by most serious architects today — was that the best way to respect the past is not to mimic it, but to weave a contemporary vision into the historic fabric with sensitivity.

The delicate bronze bands are in strong contrast to the building’s heavy stone base. A six-foot gap separates the two; just below it, the parapet of the old building hides a series of narrow terraces that wrap around the building on three sides. It’s a wonderful sectional detail, with the two forms literally interlocking in a double-height living space.

The new version suggests an excessive desire not to offend. The taut bronze bands immediately bring to mind Herzog & de Meuron’s haunting 1994 railway Signal Box in Basel, Switzerland, a classic of contemporary architecture. Yet that work, flanked by rows of rail tracks, radiates a terrifying energy, as if it were charged with electricity. Foster’s design, by contrast, radiates luxury, not mystery. The bands, modeled on an earlier Foster design for an apartment complex in an Alpine resort, are conceived as delicate movable screens, reflecting the good taste of the inhabitants while protecting them from the unwanted gaze of outsiders.

The real question here is not so much which of Foster’s designs is better; it’s why he has to strain for a more palatable alternative to the first. Both significantly alter the existing structure; both add roughly the same amount of space. What separates the two is not a newfound sensitivity to the preservationist’s perspective, but a calculated response to the bottom-line politics of building on the Upper East Side. The building’s low profile and bronzed exterior, while no more contextual than a glass tower, seem well mannered if complacent. By lowering the height of his building, Mr. Rosen is no longer required to get a zoning variance; as long as the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission signs off, there is no legal impediment to construction.

Perhaps more important, however, the new design would not affect the views of the handful of wealthy and potentially litigious apartment owners across the street. Nowadays that seems to be a more critical issue for the Landmarks Preservation Commission than what the rest of us will experience on the street.

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 7:16 AM
BANNED

much better.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 8:53 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Looks like the new proposal isn't even a tower and while it won't be as prominent in the views people living in high-rises have, it'll probably put the street in more shadow - typical nimby complaint about shadows seem to be less iiimportant than "my" view. Nimbys showing what they're all about: me, me, me.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 11:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Looks like the new proposal isn't even a tower and while it won't be as prominent in the views people living in high-rises have, it'll probably put the street in more shadow - typical nimby complaint about shadows seem to be less iiimportant than "my" view. Nimbys showing what they're all about: me, me, me.
yeah, but the new version is way better than the old one, and it's looks like it'll be a real stunner!! ...BRONZE...

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 11:36 AM
low-riding

From the picture, BORING. the glass of the previous edition would have been a nice contrast in that neighborhood. This just blends in too much.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 12:36 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
yeah, but the new version is way better than the old one, and it's looks like it'll be a real stunner!! ...BRONZE...
Sorry, but I just don't see what's to get exited about. A fairly plain box, made to not stand out. If it's that or nothing I'll support it, but the tower was way better.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 4:02 PM

it took me a few glances to find the new proposal. boring.
i am really anxious to see what the nimby's will complain about now. I do hope they enjoy their shadow though.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 12:58 AM

I don't think they'll complain too much now that the height has been reduced. NIMBYs hate tall.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 2:31 AM

This new one doesn't even compare! I don't like the colour either.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 4:34 AM
Everywhere all at once

Despicable. Shameful. A loss. ....that's all I have to say.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 7:43 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Looks like maybe 10 floors in the new version, and since the old proposal with a tower is now dead... of to unbuilt it goes

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
amateur preservationists
Perfect way to desrcibe these community boards. Some old farts and middle age crisis folks still stuck in their yuppie mode move in next to an old building and think that it makes them professors of urban planning.

Losers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive