HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 1:14 PM
Architecture student

Arrow DUBAI | The Cube | HEIGHT | FLOORS

The Cube is a proposed residence in Dubai Sports City. The Cube will be run as luxury serviced hotel apartments (5 stars facilities), the management group will be an experienced, high profile and efficient hotel management company used to operating in the upper market and capable of maximizing occupancy figures. At present this topic is under negotiation with a number of well known hotel operators and management companies.

The Cube offers its owners a state of the art high end investment projecting a minimum of 10% return on investment.

Source: http://dubai.mag3.be

Last edited by Dequal; Feb 28, 2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: image edited

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 4:25 PM

I would certainly say that was interesting, but based on those renderings you would think they would need a much higher barrier where the pool is.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 5:19 PM

It looks cool, but does it raise any concerns that major structural members run right through the middle of a large body of water?
All concrete cracks, and I don't care how well you seal it, water will get to the rebar.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 1:27 AM
Bah!

Hmmm, interesting.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 3:44 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
It looks cool, but does it raise any concerns that major structural members run right through the middle of a large body of water?
All concrete cracks, and I don't care how well you seal it, water will get to the rebar.
No. Ever driven across a bridge?

There are certainly considerations when putting reinforced concrete in water, but we've been doing it for a hundred years. The major problem is with concrete members just above the surface of water, which are exposed to freeze/thaw damage, cavitation, etc. Columns in a pool in Dubai won't have to deal with either of these.

Additionally, water itself is not what corrodes rebar or deteriorates concrete. In fact, a huge portion of concrete itself is water.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 6:21 AM

It looks like evil goo.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 7:41 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I really like this building. The colors are cool and the design is fantastic. I could actually see this in an American city not just something that would be built in Dubai. And rich people buy condos in buildings like this so they won't try anything silly when they go down to the pool level. They don't wanna loose all their moneyy.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive