HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 10:39 PM

Re: Florence Ockerson in the D. D. Club eBay photo.

I found a photograph of her - and her mother - in the UCLA archives.

UCLA archives.

Red Oak is in Iowa.

I'm finding it difficult to match her in D.D. pic because of the heavy shadows on her face.

Here's a closer look.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 4, 2024 at 7:54 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 4:09 AM

Agh
6434 Yucca St.
6343 Yucca St.

I was close...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Re: Florence Ockerson in the D. D. Club eBay photo.

I found a photograph of her - and her mother - in the UCLA archives.

Red Oak is in Iowa.

I'm finding it difficult to match her in D.D. pic because of the heavy shadows on her face.

Here's a closer look.

Here's another picture of Florence - this one from 1940. She was attending the Iowa Picnic in Lincoln Park, Los Angeles.

digital.library.ucla.edu

The listing on the back of the DD Club picture places Florence at front right.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 6:34 AM

Anyone know where these folks are sitting?....

Actress Natalie Wood, actor John Smith, actor Bob Fuller, Lance Fuller and actress Jayne Mansfield at a table outside a restaurant in Los Angeles, CA....June 13 1955...

More from the same photo shoot....

This is at a Wil Wright's Ice Cream Parlor....

John Smith and Robert Fuller appeared as regulars on the television Western "Laramie", 1959-'63.....in the '70's Fuller had a continuing role on the Jack Webb-produced series "Emergency!"

Lance Fuller had a minor career in B-pictures and a handful of TV guest shots....he went a little nuts on 10-30-1968 (his age is misstated here, he was 40 in '68)....

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 7:45 AM

Young Hollywood Hopefuls in Happier Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
Anyone know where these folks are sitting?....

Actress Natalie Wood, actor John Smith, actor Bob Fuller, Lance Fuller and actress Jayne Mansfield at a table outside a restaurant in Los Angeles, CA....June 13 1955...

More from the same photo shoot....

This is at a Wil Wright's Ice Cream Parlor....

John Smith and Robert Fuller appeared as regulars on the television Western "Laramie", 1959-'63.....in the '70's Fuller had a continuing role on the Jack Webb-produced series "Emergency!"

Lance Fuller had a minor career in B-pictures and a handful of TV guest shots....he went a little nuts on 10-30-1968 (his age is misstated here, he was 40 in '68)....

Thanks, riichkay, for the interesting photos of these up-and-coming stars in happier days.

A bit of gossip for those who may be interested. A recent book, "Brainstorm," by Attorney Sam Perroni, makes the most compelling case yet that Natalie Wood's strange death off Catalina was second-degree homicide and that there was a concerted cover-up by the Los Angeles Police Dept., (involving Police Chief Peter Pitchess) along with Frank Sinatra and mob lawyer Sidney Korshak, all who wished to protect their friend Robert Wagner. Wagner's current wife, Jill St John, had a serious affair - Stella Stevens did too - with long-married Korshak in earlier years. Sinatra wrote an angry letter to the police chief, excoriating Coroner Thomas Noguchi, whom colleagues described as "acting strangely" during Wood's autopsy, (as though "part of a cover-up") and he was demoted. His autopsy findings in that case are still disputed, just as they were after Marilyn Monroe's autopsy. The Sinatra letter "disappeared" when the author of "Brainstorm" tried legally to look at it. One of Hollywood's mysteries.
The item about Lance Fuller getting shot while yelling "I am Jesus Christ!" is bizarre, but he had a long life. In the early 50's he was married to gorgeous blonde bombshell Joi Lansing, who in her last years was in a romantic relationship with a young woman. - who has written a book about their love affair.
Handsome young John Smith, whose chisled Nordic face was familiar in the 1950's, sadly became a "passed-out-in-the-dirt" drunk in his later years & lived in the Crenshaw area bungalow he'd inherited from his parents.
The photos of Jayne Mansfield looking rather ordinary (compared to what she looked like a couple of years later) show what a team of expert stylists and personal trainers can do & later did to turn her into the unreal creature of 1956's "The Girl Can't Help It." Most everyone knows that by the mid-60's Jayne was a sad, alcoholic parody of herself who died with her male companion in a horrific car accident in Mississippi.
Robert Fuller is still going at age 90, apparently living in Texas, and one hopes he's doing well - the only survivor of this photo shoot.
A note about the photo supposedly taken at Wil Wright's upscale Ice Cream Parlor, probably the one on Sunset Strip, (8641 Sunset Blvd.) although there was one in Westwood Village & one in North Hollywood/Studio City. Wil Wright's was famous for their hand-packed, ultra-high-butterfat ice cream in exotic flavors ("Jamaican Ginger" etc.). Hard to believe they would've had a soft-serve machine, but if that's what the photo says, so be it. It seems more likely that the photo was taken at the same diner-drive-in where the carhop was passing out Cokes, and the photographer or publicist located it at Wil Wright's since that was known to be a glamorous locale frequented by stars.

Last edited by JeffDiego; Apr 4, 2024 at 9:09 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:24 PM

John Smith was a client of the infamous agent Henry Willson, who gave most of his clients more unusual monikers, like Chance Gentry, also Race Gentry, and Troy Donohue. Other intriguing names: Buck Class, Ty Hardin and Cal Bolder.

So why John Smith? (I would have objected, myself.) From an article: LINK

Willson is not an inflexible man, he doesn't always give his charges names such as Rock, Tab, Rory or Lana. One of his changes took Hollywood by surprise. That was the time he changed Robert Van Orden--a name which had the makings of a Henry Willson creation--into just plain John Smith, who went on to become co-star of "Laramie." "Everybody asks me about that change," Willson said. "At the time, there was Bobby Van, Van Johnson, Van Heflin and Mamie Van Doren. So I got tired of the whole thing and named him John Smith."

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 6:49 PM

Great comments, JeffDiego and Martin Pal....

Here's more on John Smith....his father registered for the draft with 2219 Redondo Blvd. as his address, this is likely the Crenshaw area bungalow Jeff refers to where Smith lived out his last days....the draft card is dated Feb. 14 1942 (documents courtesy FamilySearch)....

....three months later Mr. Van Orden was dead....

2219 Redondo Blvd.....

Last edited by riichkay; Apr 4, 2024 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Thanks, riichkay, for the interesting photos of these up-and-coming stars in happier days.

A bit of gossip for those who may be interested. A recent book, "Brainstorm," by Attorney Sam Perroni, makes the most compelling case yet that Natalie Wood's strange death off Catalina was second-degree homicide and that there was a concerted cover-up by the Los Angeles Police Dept., (involving Police Chief Peter Pitchess) along with Frank Sinatra and mob lawyer Sidney Korshak, all who wished to protect their friend Robert Wagner.
Peter Pitchess was L.A. County Sheriff, not Police Cheif but retired in 1981, the year Natalie Wood died. Could it have been Daryl Gates?
I don't know would have jurisdiction over a Catalina drowning.

I can say that the car those kids posed with is a Jaguar XK120 or XK140

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
Martin Pal, you beat me to it....1950 census....

The Hollywood Arms #102 is correct.
Carol lived at the Green Apartments at 6434 Yucca. I delivered the Citizen News there in the 1950s and also went to Le Conte and Hollywood High. I followed in her footsteps and was editor of the Hollywood High News, years after she graduated.

The city honored her with Carol Burnett Square at Highland and Selma, a perfect choice of locations.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 1:23 PM

Carol's mother seems to have lived a floor above her mother and Carol at 6343 Yucca. Not sure why she's "Louise A. Burnett" here and elsewhere "Ina Louise Burnett" but her birthplace (Arkansas) and age match Carol's mother.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
Carol lived at the Green Apartments at 6434 Yucca. I delivered the Citizen News there in the 1950s and also went to Le Conte and Hollywood High. I followed in her footsteps and was editor of the Hollywood High News, years after she graduated.
Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
The city honored her with Carol Burnett Square at Highland and Selma, a perfect choice of locations.
I've seen the signs online, but I should walk down there next time I get up to Hollywood Blvd.; I was there last Saturday evening at the (restored) Egyptian Theater during the rainy stormy evening with a sold out appreciative crowd seeing a 75 year old film noir (Nightmare Alley). The colorful restored Egyptian Theatre neon was so sparkly and gorgeous in the misty, rainy night.

And come to think of it, I have walked by this sign before! Last December in fact.

April 18, 2013.
NBCNews

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 4:14 PM

Now this is something Angelenos are more familiar with that happened today:
New York City, Boston and Philadelphia rumbled by 4.8-magnitude quake
The U.S. Geological Survey tentatively measured the quake as a 4.8 temblor near Whitehouse Station, New Jersey.
It struck a little before 10:30 a.m. ET.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 4:36 PM

Now you've inflamed a festering peeve about the nomenclature of Bob Hope Square, and now Carol Burnett Square.

I nominate "Ethereal Reality Crossroads" at Sunset and Las Palmas.

Times Square is not a Square

Google reviews of various Squares and Stairs around Los Angeles by Eric Brightwell.

Last edited by Mackerm; Apr 5, 2024 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 7:54 PM

Aw, shucks.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 5, 2024 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post
Now you've inflamed a festering peeve about the nomenclature of Bob Hope Square, and now Carol Burnett Square.

I nominate "Ethereal Reality Crossroads" at Sunset and Las Palmas.

Times Square is not a Square
How about Mickey Rooney Memorial Square at Sunset & Orange? Speakers, including the principal of Hollywood High School, recognized him as a student.

In reality, Mickey was a student at Fairfax High School.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 9:24 PM

Noirish Los Angeles.

I happened up another mugshot on eBay.

Los Angeles Police Department City Jail...2 25 54.

This one is more interesting because the information on the back is legible. (that wasn't the case last week)

For search purposes:..Audrey J. Harrigan - Blo Bln(?) - 5.3 123 lbs. - 1924 (birthdate?)

To see the previous mugshot (of the blonde woman) go HERE

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 1:31 AM

Natalie Wood death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Peter Pitchess was L.A. County Sheriff, not Police Cheif but retired in 1981, the year Natalie Wood died. Could it have been Daryl Gates?
I don't know would have jurisdiction over a Catalina drowning.

I can say that the car those kids posed with is a Jaguar XK120 or XK140
Thanks for your comment, Bristolian. I was going by memory after listening to various Youtube interviews with the author of the book about Natalie Wood's death...so was mistaken in identifying Peter Pitchess as being L.A. police chief in 1981...he was Sheriff. It was indeed Pitchess whom the author of "Brainstorm" identified as being involved in the cover-up of Wood's death. Not having read the book, I don't know the depth of his involvement. Pitchess was apparently super-impressed with Sinatra & Sinatra's celebrity.
Although Wood drowned off Catalina, I assume the case certainly came under Los Angeles jurisdiction since Wood was an L.A. resident and her autopsy was performed in L.A. A particularly interesting youtube interview is with Marilyn Wayne, a commodities broker from Beverly Hills who was with her son and fiance in a boat near Wood's and Wagner's boat. She clearly heard for twenty minutes a woman yelling for help & saying she was drowning...and she convincingly explains why she herself didn't jump into the frigid water & attempt a rescue on the pitch dark night that Wood drowned. Wayne was anonymously threatened at least twice to keep her mouth shut, and she did for nearly twenty years.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Carol's mother seems to have lived a floor above her mother and Carol at 6343 Yucca. Not sure why she's "Louise A. Burnett" here and elsewhere "Ina Louise Burnett" but her birthplace (Arkansas) and age match Carol's mother.
Carol's mother was in the building, but Carol was raised by her grandmother because IIRC her mother was an alcoholic.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 5:11 PM

I don't know if anyone has stumbled across this before, but this might be an interesting or useful source at some point.

Historic Southern California Restaurants
Tribute by Jeffrey Sward

Character, ambiance, longevity, history, innovation, and heritage. Restaurants in the main lists are open for business. Extinct restaurants are listed here (link).

Main cutoff date is 1970. Selective listings after this date.
Sort by Restaurant Name | Sort by Year Established | Closed

https://www.jeffreysward.com/tribute...st.htm#pagetop

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 8:30 PM

Can you imagine making something like this in shop class!

eBay - 102 St. School, Watts(?) - 1943

The children must have absolutely loved this project.

The homemade airplane is parked behind the children in this 2nd photo. (one student is sitting in it)

Here's the reverse of one of the photographs. (so Mr. Mills was the teacher I take it)

Sadly, Mr. Mills decided to take it for a test flight.

Is anyone familiar with this school? I think it's in the Compton or Watts area.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 7, 2024 at 8:53 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos