HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 9:40 PM

Here’s my guess on what’s planned for the golf course land at the u of m:

(www.broadstreet.ca)

I call it: the hear your neighbours flush special!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 10:23 PM

http://www.visionaryregeneration.com/778.html
Long term plans for the golf course and existing campus

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 2:51 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Here’s my guess on what’s planned for the golf course land at the u of m:

(www.broadstreet.ca)

The high density neighborhood Winnipeg style. Totally unlivable and totally low build quality and nowhere near anything

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 5:19 PM

The golf course lands aren’t exactly “nowhere near anything”.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
The high density neighborhood Winnipeg style. Totally unlivable and totally low build quality and nowhere near anything
Totally unlivable? I'm sure many of the thousands of Winnipeggers who live in Broadstreet properties might disagree.

Low build quality? What would you suggest? Concrete build, which would raise costs significantly? We want affordable housing, but we also demand that all housing is built to luxury specs...

Nowhere near anything? This example seems to be in Sage Creek, where the apartments are a 5 minute walk to the town centre, which has just about any service or store you'd need on a daily basis. Many of the other apartments like this are also close to amenities, like Waverley West, north Main, Sterling Lyon...

What would be your suggestion for a better way to do density in our city?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Infill in mature neighbourhoods.

It's the obvious solution, but the city makes this incredibly difficult to do.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

Agreed. It's going to be tough to accommodate 10,000 newcomers every year when lot splits and 3 storey buildings are getting turned down.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 10:38 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Totally unlivable? I'm sure many of the thousands of Winnipeggers who live in Broadstreet properties might disagree.

Low build quality? What would you suggest? Concrete build, which would raise costs significantly? We want affordable housing, but we also demand that all housing is built to luxury specs...

Nowhere near anything? This example seems to be in Sage Creek, where the apartments are a 5 minute walk to the town centre, which has just about any service or store you'd need on a daily basis. Many of the other apartments like this are also close to amenities, like Waverley West, north Main, Sterling Lyon...

Do you work for qualico or something?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

I would say residents make it difficult to do so. See River Heights.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:11 PM

Quote:

Ahh yes the charming and walkable "town centre"......

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Ahh yes the charming and walkable "town centre"......

Wow, stunning! I absolutely love how you can walk to the walkable town centre on the nonexistent sidewalks. Fantastic!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:02 PM

I guess some of you may not be aware the golf course lands are adjacent to Winnipeg's largest university with 30,000 students, 5,000 full time employees and 8,500 part time employees. This is ultimately an investment vehicle for the university and would offer a convenience for students and employees who are looking for somewhere to live. There are a lot of reasons to do this development.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I guess some of you may not be aware the golf course lands are adjacent to Winnipeg's largest university with 30,000 students, 5,000 full time employees and 8,500 part time employees. This is ultimately an investment vehicle for the university and would offer a convenience for students and employees who are looking for somewhere to live. There are a lot of reasons to do this development.
Don't think anyone's saying there isn't a demand for all this, more that they already have a ton of undeveloped or poorly/underdeveloped land that could have included a lot of this, while making the campus more dense, walkable, attractive, and livable. The design of all the land surrounding Chancellor Matheson is atrocious. Classic case of having so much land that they don't even have to think about getting creative with it, just develop it like a big-box suburb.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:14 PM

Well, I'll wait to see what they finally come up with. The deal for the land wasn't just done just for near future, it was done for future growth and the land was available. The university isn't going anywhere even though the discussion about it seems have moved to the RRC thread.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Yes but the UofM has a track record of absolutely abysmal land use, sprawling suburban designs and lots of parking - look at the "smart" park. I thought they already picked a winning submission for the site and it was basically just a bunch of Le Corbusier "towers in a park", and they rejected several proposals that looked like an actual neighbourhood grid on the site. I have zero faith in the site being used to it's full potential with UofM at the helm. I mean the Southwood lands are the same size as the entire existing campus minus the stadium and smartpark - the fact that they need so much land seems indicative of how inefficiently they plan on using it.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 5:00 PM

Everything is Winnipeg outside of downtown usually ends up as the 4 storey crap shacks. All the new developments. I guess that's what is 'affordable'. I was surprised to see some of the new apartments in Transcona West are nicer. However, I think they're condos. But there is still lots of that 4 storey stuff.

That's where the comment comes from. When you can hear your neighbours alarm go off in the morning and the shit hit the toilet, ya that's bad.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Yes but the UofM has a track record of absolutely abysmal land use, sprawling suburban designs and lots of parking - look at the "smart" park. I thought they already picked a winning submission for the site and it was basically just a bunch of Le Corbusier "towers in a park", and they rejected several proposals that looked like an actual neighbourhood grid on the site. I have zero faith in the site being used to it's full potential with UofM at the helm. I mean the Southwood lands are the same size as the entire existing campus minus the stadium and smartpark - the fact that they need so much land seems indicative of how inefficiently they plan on using it.
The U of M isn't planning on using the golf course to expand the campus, the long term plan is to create an entirely new neighborhood, with medium density development (4-6 floors with commercial on the bottom).

I posted the plan earlier, and while it's obviously not set in stone, it's encouraging to see the University focus on densifying the campus and smart park.

Here it is again:
http://www.visionaryregeneration.com/778.html

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 6:32 PM

^ I hope the U of M has learned from its experience with the horribly botched SmartPark. It's almost like they set out to waste as much space as possible with that hot mess of a development.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 6:50 PM

Can we move the UofM talk to the Southwood thread thanks guys

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ight=southwood

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan