HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
That’s a good observation. I hadn’t picked up on the entrance, as it looks like the doors are still there, but you’re right that they will probably have little or no functionality as the main entrance is clearly presented to the south. That’s disappointing.
The Barrington St side where the new entrance is would be the west side. Small point. It makes sense for it to be there as that is the main street.

The old Dennis entrance on Granville is still shown and I have no indication it would be non-functional. It would be a secondary entrance/exit like Founders Square has on Bedford Row but still get plenty of use.

If you want a cornice on the new faux-historic structure on Barrington I suggest you put the developers in touch with their friendly local styrofoam dealer.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The Barrington St side where the new entrance is would be the west side. Small point. It makes sense for it to be there as that is the main street.

The old Dennis entrance on Granville is still shown and I have no indication it would be non-functional. It would be a secondary entrance/exit like Founders Square has on Bedford Row but still get plenty of use.
The main entrance on Granville is shown in this angle, and is the one I was referring to. It's under the "1730", with "The Press Block" signage.

There is no indication that the old Dennis entrance would be non-functional, but it would seem unusual to have two 'main entrances' within steps of each other.

Just speculating on pre-construction renderings, like people do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
If you want a cornice on the new faux-historic structure on Barrington I suggest you put the developers in touch with their friendly local styrofoam dealer.
Just making a comment on design (like people do here). I have no expectation that the developer will add a cornice, nor would I have any input as to what materials to use. I would expect that your idea of using styrofoam would prove to be very non-durable, though. I have seen cases where FRP has been used for cornice replacement, but I'm sure the engineers and architects have that all figured out.

Thanks for your input!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
The main entrance on Granville is shown in this angle, and is the one I was referring to. It's under the "1730", with "The Press Block" signage.
Yes, this is why I'm assuming the old Dennis entrance will either be a secondary entrance, or simply disused adornment, like this unfortunate setup, or this one, or this one.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Yes, this is why I'm assuming the old Dennis entrance will either be a secondary entrance, or simply disused adornment, like this unfortunate setup, or this one, or this one.
Waterside Centre is particularly galling to me. The street-level appeal of that block, particularly on the formerly lively Upper Water side, was completely destroyed by the lack of storefront amenity and accessibility. Shame on Armour and RBC for that.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:28 PM

Honestly this looks really good. Hopefully the renderings turn out well in reality. The area needs more life and looks like this will be part of that.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Waterside Centre is particularly galling to me. The street-level appeal of that block, particularly on the formerly lively Upper Water side, was completely destroyed by the lack of storefront amenity and accessibility. Shame on Armour and RBC for that.
We can't help purselves! I'm also reminded that the west side of Granville, in many ways a high-water mark for facadism locally, is nonetheless mostly dominated by a single Goodlife fitness location, so instead of individual storefronts it's just a huge window where you can watch people on treadmills.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:49 PM

Form work is now up to the level of the Dennis roofline.
I wonder when they will remove all the external supports?
It must be well tied in now.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth