HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 12:03 AM

All for it being built/renovated. Every little bit helps the downtown out and not everything can be architectural beauties.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
https://listingsprod.blob.core.windo...a-9043b3a1b4f4

anyone know how the sq ft price compares to other property downtown? I still wish the First Nation building kitty corner from this would go ahead. I believe it was planned to be a Gold Leed standard.
Everyone can go ahead and tell me I have awful taste but I actually kind of like this. I doubt the finished product will look as nice and well integrated as the render seems, but it could definitely be worse. I think the fact it resembles an air control tower is pretty neat.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotToScale View Post
Been trying to figure out what bothers me about the building. Maybe its the angle bump out at the top. It reminds me of bad early 80's airport control tower architecture. I dunno haha.
IMHO it looks like its collapsing. Its appearance shouts out "crooked", "not-on-the-level", "disjoint", "ad-hoc", "unsteady", "sinking", etc. etc. Not adjectives I'd want associated with my business. I cannot imagine the design process that would result in such an atrocity.

I do like the trees and vistas in the renderings though. Top-notch work that.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 9:26 PM

To me it looks in between an airport traffic control tower and a parkade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
IMHO it looks like its collapsing. Its appearance shouts out "crooked", "not-on-the-level", "disjoint", "ad-hoc", "unsteady", "sinking", etc. etc. Not adjectives I'd want associated with my business. I cannot imagine the design process that would result in such an atrocity.

I do like the trees and vistas in the renderings though. Top-notch work that.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 9:39 PM

I was curious to see if there were staggered floor elevations, necessitating the slope feature but apparently no - it's just there for "interest". That being said, ugly is in the eye of the beholder and there are worse buildings being built.

I'm OK with it as rendered - at least it's not a cookie-cutter strip mall and an improvement to what's on that corner now.

As for pricing, it's tough to compare because we have very few commercial condos being sold. A sqft lease rate would make for much easier comparison to what else is on the market.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:56 PM

Arena Dowtown

I don't believe we have an arena/convention centre thread yet, so I will post here. A local architect...nothing to do with development....posted some of his ideas as to location for new downtown arena.

I still like the Bay/Midtown parking lot area on 22nd as my favourite due to BRT and so many hotels/restaurants/bars already existing for the desired "entertainment district". Those type of amenities could also expand a bit north if there is increased demand.

I was surprised to read that his option #6 has received the most online support so far. It is the furthest North option. Rationale being it allows for the total creation and development of a new entertainment district. I do not believe there is enough demand for a "new" one and could very likely hurt our existing downtown nucleus. Does not make sense to me...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...rena-1.5433663

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:26 PM

I've always liked option #2 (toys r us) for the potential landmark building coming into downtown that he talks about.

Options 1 and 6 both have potential to be great but could also flop. With 1 I would want to know how it ties into Riverdale, the river and future condo developments there. Not sure the arena would be an asset there but I could be wrong. 6 is a blank canvas so to speak. Maybe an amazing district follows the arena or maybe it doesn't. What worries me is that the district was supposed to follow the original saskplace and that failed. Wouldn't want to repeat the same mistake.

5 seems like a no because I'd hate to lose the John Deere building.

3 and 4 could best tie into the existing TCU place which I think is huge plus. But gotta convince the Y or the mall to maximize the potential.

Time will tell. I do enjoy the discussion we though.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:39 PM

I remember site 6 was floated as a location for a potential soccer stadium, and I would prefer that to an arena. The arena needs an entertainment district around it, and we already have the bones for that in other areas downtown; Saskatoon does not have the demand to support a new one. On the other hand, a small soccer stadium (if that's the route they go with) would fit in better with the walkable, mid-rise developments that were originally planned for the area.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:44 PM

I think #2/the Toys 'R Us site would be a disaster for traffic flow off the Idylwyld freeway either coming into or going through Downtown when a large event is happening. Of course we have other bridges, but it seems like a serious choke point from a freeway with nowhere to escape once you're past the Ruth St. exit when you're heading towards downtown (the exit to 1st Ave would be just as bad).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:51 PM

Some activity going on at the 25th st/2nd ave. I havent seen any info regarding that parcel yet.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Some activity going on at the 25th st/2nd ave. I havent seen any info regarding that parcel yet.
Oh yikes. It's a strip mall with front yard parking and a Starbucks drive thru.

http://www.cushmanwakefieldsaskatoon...-32-00-psf-b5/

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Exactly what the downtown needs.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 1:11 AM

Quote:

Wow. Truly terrible. Our downtown deserves better.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:02 AM
Has been

I would also like to raise my objection to this. Disappointing.
There outta be a law....

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:15 AM

Quote:

I’m trying to picture that on the lot. Would the store front be facing 25th and the Drive Thru window facing 2nd?? I work a block from there and actually used to park on this lot. Getting in and out of there and using the Drive Thru is going to be an absolute shitshow. Traffic flow into downtown isn’t going to work as you’ll have to get onto 25th at the East end of the lot and try to cross 3 lanes of traffic to make a left on 2nd. The only alternate is to exit onto 2nd and head north before either turning in a circle to try and go back the other way.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotToScale View Post
Exactly what the downtown needs.
I’m excited for a Starbucks that will be only a few blocks from my home. Unfortunately, I’m also excited for the tables being away from the sidewalk.. I’ve been attacked on that street multiple times walking to work - I also get harassed at the 2nd ave Starbucks just having coffee with friends at their patio. As unfortunate as it is this is good that the Starbucks patio isn’t directly next to the sidewalk here. Sorry Saskatoon - lets just be happy we got some development there because those residential units there make me queasy from past experiences

Think of it as one less pay for parking lot

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 2:34 PM

I’m still confused as to which lot this will be on. Are we talking about the one that’s east of the 7/11, or north?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:14 PM

^^^ North of the 7-11 on the N-E corner of 2nd Avenue & 25th Street. Construction is underway.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 6:04 PM

Is Starbucks, Prairie Donair etc. confirmed for this mall or are they just examples?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toontone View Post
Is Starbucks, Prairie Donair etc. confirmed for this mall or are they just examples?
The floor plan in the brochure identifies them both as tenants.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan