HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
you must be thinking of other bath+ bed place, they were on st james and then home outfitters took over.

i personally hate shopping, have no understanding how all these stores survive.
Linens n things

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 3:00 AM

Anyone know what is happening with the space between Shoppers and Staples at Unicity? After sitting vacant for a long time it is finally being gutted.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 12:21 AM

Shindico's plans for the Taylor Ave cleared a committee stage today. The development is operating under the name Grant Park Festival.

More info on CJOB

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 2:50 AM

Lots of steel has gone up at the big box expansion at Kenaston Crossing (?) I get those 'Kenaston' strip mall names mixed up. Either way, its the unmistakable new construction between the brick and the former Gord's location.

Anyone know what is going in there? Its either one giant unit (Target???), or two largish units. Bed Bath and Beyond? Would they do Polo and Kenaston? I could see Target building a store there since their coverage of the SW with the known stores is weak... London Drugs maybe? Are they ever going to build a second store in Winnipeg? Other guesses?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 3:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Lots of steel has gone up at the big box expansion at Kenaston Crossing (?) I get those 'Kenaston' strip mall names mixed up. Either way, its the unmistakable new construction between the brick and the former Gord's location.

Anyone know what is going in there? Its either one giant unit (Target???), or two largish units. Bed Bath and Beyond? Would they do Polo and Kenaston? I could see Target building a store there since their coverage of the SW with the known stores is weak... London Drugs maybe? Are they ever going to build a second store in Winnipeg? Other guesses?
I thought they were putting a London Drugs somewhere around Kildonan Place, believe it was Shindico putting a row of stores along Reenders behind the mall, haven't heard much for a long time.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 1:17 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Interesting article in Canadian Business yesterday,Target is having a hard time securing suppliers in Canada.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/comp...-the-targeted/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 1:21 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
It will be 4 units.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It will be 4 units.
Ok thanks, I saw that too this morning. Steel beams for signage would suggest so.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 4:42 PM

[QUOTE=Mininari;6095524]Lots of steel has gone up at the big box expansion at Kenaston Crossing (?) I get those 'Kenaston' strip mall names mixed up. Either way, its the unmistakable new construction between the brick and the former Gord's location.

The Mall (Canadian Tire) at the SE Corner of Kenaston and McGillivrary is called Linden Ridge Shopping Centre

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I thought they were putting a London Drugs somewhere around Kildonan Place, believe it was Shindico putting a row of stores along Reenders behind the mall, haven't heard much for a long time.
Reenders is to be extended either this or next summer. Two lanes only. Then once the Shindico development goes through it would be upgraded to four lanes. Haven't heard anything on when that will be. It's "Shops of Kildonan Mile" now.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 9:57 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
That's amazing. Still no London Drugs in Polo Park area though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 2:23 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
That's amazing. Still no London Drugs in Polo Park area though.
I'm sure the Super Target has scared them out of the immediate area. Hard for them to take any of the old Zellers space in the mall with Shoppers already being in there.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 10:53 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I'm sure the Super Target has scared them out of the immediate area. Hard for them to take any of the old Zellers space in the mall with Shoppers already being in there.
You know, I've never seen Shoppers with patio furniture or an entire electronics department... they could be a good competitor in the building and draw even more foot traffic!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 11:15 PM
I am a typical

Shoppers is weird. Usually they have cigarettes behind the counter; Shoppers sells deck furniture and tablets.

It's like they expect someone to go pick up a prescription and be all, "oh actually, I need a reclining chair for my patio!"

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 4:50 PM

Does anyone happen to know what is being built in Portage place close to the centre court on the second level. Its spanning 3 former retail usints. Over 10,000 sq ft. If its another office space, but like right in the centre of the mall, its starting to become curtains for the shopping aspect of Portage place.

The other office conversions have been a legal aid office in the west wing, an ongoing construction of a marketing company office in the west side spanning 3 former retail units, and the former mcnally site conversion to a services Canada office.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
The Mall (Canadian Tire) at the SE Corner of Kenaston and McGillivrary is called Linden Ridge Shopping Centre
So four retail units:
Possibilities, (my musings).

Marks (Canadian Tire Empire, not in the area)
Sportcheck (Canadian Tire Empire, not in the area)
Bed Bath and Beyond? (Seems they'd go after the Regent area next, maybe Reenders Mile?)
London Drugs? (probably Seasons of Tux. since shoppers is nearby)
Toys R us? (nah, they're building one on Pembina Highway).
Furniture store? (city seems saturated with furniture stores)
Electronics store? (nope, they're downsizing if anything).
Micheals? (Maybe?)

One thing is for sure, this should bring some more traffic to the strip mall of smaller units. I was at the M&M the other day and noticed that about half of those units have old signage scars showing, and two units are presently empty.

High turnover in that strip mall unless you're Subway.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 1:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Does anyone happen to know what is being built in Portage place close to the centre court on the second level. Its spanning 3 former retail usints. Over 10,000 sq ft. If its another office space, but like right in the centre of the mall, its starting to become curtains for the shopping aspect of Portage place.

The other office conversions have been a legal aid office in the west wing, an ongoing construction of a marketing company office in the west side spanning 3 former retail units, and the former mcnally site conversion to a services Canada office.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be a clothing store, not sure who though.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 6:30 PM

The Portage Place website shows that the large space under construction at the west end of the mall (2nd floor) is leased by iMarketing, which appears to be a telemarketing outfit.

So over the last year, Portage Place's new tenants have included Service Canada, iMarketing, offices for Forks North Portage, Legal Aid Manitoba... notice a pattern here? Without any official announcement or public fanfare, Portage Place is slowly but steadily converting from a shopping mall into an office building.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 6:54 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Portage Place website shows that the large space under construction at the west end of the mall (2nd floor) is leased by iMarketing, which appears to be a telemarketing outfit.

So over the last year, Portage Place's new tenants have included Service Canada, iMarketing, offices for Forks North Portage, Legal Aid Manitoba... notice a pattern here? Without any official announcement or public fanfare, Portage Place is slowly but steadily converting from a shopping mall into an office building.
Not just any office building... A government office building (at least 3 of the 4). I love government offices, because we all know how much action happens around them after the 4:30 mass exodus.

This is just going to make Portage Place even worse. They need to do some serious strategic planning for that mall.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 7:52 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Is Winnipeg really that short on office space?

One would think that retail space would cost more per sq ft than conventional office space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan