HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 6:28 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
But since my contract is two years from ending, I was thinking that if the iPhone (or even better a windows 7 based phone) came to telus I would upgrade or something, but heck, I don't pay much attention to the market developments, so I just thought I'd ask. But I guess when you only have a population of a million or so people, it won't be long before everyone has a phone and purchases on new phones and contracts will drop significantly.
I truly wish there was a way to warn people before they signed 3 year contracts with Telus. Perhaps the fact that Telus seems to be limiting itself to mall kiosks rather than actual stores might be a good tipoff. Saw one of the kiosks had a sign telling passers by that they're being filmed. Why? Scared someone will steal one of their mockup phones?

On the bright side, in two years you'll have a great phone selection in Manitoba with Rogers and MTS and maybe even Shaw. Sooner or later Bell and Telus will have to have 3G within Winnipeg. Perhaps within a year, then all of those phones available elsewhere on Telus will also be available here. But like I said it would be foolish to consider Telus for a 3 year contract in Manitoba if you're not already locked into one. Granted Telus is one of the most evil companies I know so theres that too. Any company that is forced to primarily use animals to sell their phones is surely beyond redemption.

I like MTS's Bison and Alien commercials. Whoever is in charge of their advertising, credit to them they're good.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 6:32 AM

What type of network is MTS?
Just wondering because SaskTel has been CDMA forever and just this summer they launched their new 3G+ (UMTS) network. (Meaning I was finally able to get an iPhone on SaskTel. ) The new 3G+ network is expected to reach 98% of the Sask population by 2011, just like their CDMA coverage.

Is MTS building a new network too? Was browsing Telus too, and it seems pretty limited in MB (No Android/iPhone, minimal selection etc.). So what are the most popular carriers in Manitoba?

Here I'd say it's 1) SaskTel 2) Telus 3) Rogers. And then all those others like Fido, Virgin and Koodo, all of which don't seem to be widely used.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 6:36 AM

i thought an iphone was available on telus and bell as well? not just rogers

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i thought an iphone was available on telus and bell as well? not just rogers
Depends on the province apparently. I know Telus didn't offer iPhone's in Sask until SaskTel launched their new network. And now both claim to be Saskatchewan's biggest/largest 3G+ network.

Bell doesn't exist here. Except for satellite TV.

Last edited by dsim249; Nov 19, 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 7:14 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
Just wondering because SaskTel has been CDMA forever and just this summer they launched their new 3G+ (UMTS) network. (Meaning I was finally able to get an iPhone on SaskTel. ) The new 3G+ network is expected to reach 98% of the Sask population by 2011, just like their CDMA coverage.

Is MTS building a new network too? Was browsing Telus too, and it seems pretty limited in MB (No Android/iPhone, minimal selection etc.). So what are the most popular carriers in Manitoba?

Here I'd say it's 1) SaskTel 2) Telus 3) Rogers. And then all those others like Fido, Virgin and Koodo, all of which don't seem to be widely used.
MTS and Rogers are sharing the cost and towers of building up Manitoba on 3.5/4G. When it will be up and running with MTS is anyones guess, they're still CDMA until they go live, sadly, so until then no good phones.. but they'll probably have some pretty sweet phones once they go live. Rogers won't have to roll out new phones , but their selection is pretty crap right now anyways.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 10:59 PM

has Forever 21 opened yet?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 11:58 PM

^no, although bcbgmaxazaria had a booth for job applications.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 10:10 PM
I am a typical

What is UMTS?

TBayTel just signed an agreement with Rogers to share network resources and it establishing a 3G HSPA network across NWO. Since they've basically hit a plateau in terms of customer base maybe they'll move into Manitoba in the future?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
What is UMTS?

TBayTel just signed an agreement with Rogers to share network resources and it establishing a 3G HSPA network across NWO. Since they've basically hit a plateau in terms of customer base maybe they'll move into Manitoba in the future?
UMTS = Universal Mobile Telecommunications System.

Although apparently UMTS and HSPA coincide?

Quote:
UMTS/HSPA is a next generation wireless network which will enable SaskTel customers to enjoy the benefits of using UMTS/HSPA compatible cellular & data devices.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 12:19 AM
I am a typical

I guess it uses a slightly different architecture and HSPA is compatible with it or something so they have both? I wonder if UMTS would work here on our HSPA network?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 4:39 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
What is UMTS?
I do believe its the next phase of evolution for cell phones after cdma/gsm/edge/hsdpa/ etc. Everyone is moving to UMTS.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 6:58 PM

Quote:

I'd say Rogers and MTS are king here as far as service providers for cell phones go, followed by Telus in a distant third. I used to know tons of people on telus but now I know like one or two people. When I had a blackberry, everyone I knew that had one was with Rogers and my BBM list was over 120 people, but everyone else I knew that didn't have a blackberry or iphone was on MTS. For me at least that seemed to be the divide.

I don't see too many people with Fido or Virgin etc... here. Not sure about koodo. Rogers and MTS I suppose are the big ones.

Bell isn't out here either, to my knowledge.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
I truly wish there was a way to warn people before they signed 3 year contracts with Telus. Perhaps the fact that Telus seems to be limiting itself to mall kiosks rather than actual stores might be a good tipoff. Saw one of the kiosks had a sign telling passers by that they're being filmed. Why? Scared someone will steal one of their mockup phones?

On the bright side, in two years you'll have a great phone selection in Manitoba with Rogers and MTS and maybe even Shaw. Sooner or later Bell and Telus will have to have 3G within Winnipeg. Perhaps within a year, then all of those phones available elsewhere on Telus will also be available here. But like I said it would be foolish to consider Telus for a 3 year contract in Manitoba if you're not already locked into one. Granted Telus is one of the most evil companies I know so theres that too. Any company that is forced to primarily use animals to sell their phones is surely beyond redemption.

I like MTS's Bison and Alien commercials. Whoever is in charge of their advertising, credit to them they're good.
MTS has always had great commercials eh? I love em. The new Alien ones are funny too...

Like this classic one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFriQUmVjy8

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 8:10 PM
Youth of a Nation

Coverage Maps for all Cellular Companies in Canada.

http://www.comparecellular.com/coverage-maps/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 8:11 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
What is UMTS?

Hostile bid takeover? lol

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 11:47 PM
I am a typical

I don't think you can do a hostile bid takeover for a municipally owned company, since it doesn't have shares, and I doubt the city will sell TBayTel since it is a cash cow and they love spending so much.

They've got to do something though, they have basically grown as much as they can. They've just gotten into the TV market, so that's the last thing I can think of before they start stagnating. What else is there?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 6:29 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Depends on the province apparently. I know Telus didn't offer iPhone's in Sask until SaskTel launched their new network. And now both claim to be Saskatchewan's biggest/largest 3G+ network.

Bell doesn't exist here. Except for satellite TV.
I was with Virgin Mobile in Manitoba, and I was disappointed when they didn't offer it in MB, because MTS didn't have a 3G network. I would have had a very good deal to get the iPhone through them, but instead, I had to make the switch to Rogers, which I know have far too many horror stories, and have a bit of a bitter past from them...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 6:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

anyone notice that theres a clothing store on Adelaide in this building (witch saw renoes done to it this summer?
http://www.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&ll...46.34,,0,-7.71

anyone feeling the vibe in the city latly?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Supermarket slated for old arena site
By ROSS ROMANIUK, Winnipeg Sun

September 23, 2010

The site of the long-gone Winnipeg Arena will see an Asian supermarket spring up by the end of next year, the property’s developer says.

Shindico Inc. plans to begin building the 45,000-square-foot food market late this year and have it ready to open by late 2011 as the retail anchor of a wider 200,000-square-foot commercial development at the site between Maroons Road and Rapelje Avenue, development manager Bob Downs told the Winnipeg Sun on Thursday.

Downs declined to name the market, saying only that it’s a company that will be new to Winnipeg.

Radio station CJOB, meanwhile, is among the future tenants of the existing former CTV studios at the south end of the site.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have a real hunch that this will be T&T Supermarket, who have been looking to gain a foothold into Winnipeg's fast growing Asian market for a few years now.

Yes, me too! T&T is a great west-coast, Canadian-born, Asian superstore. Nothing against Lucky at all, but it will be good to have a T&T here, and the location is great. I imagine parking will be integrated with Polo Park's, so that might get a bit hairy at the peak shopping periods throughout the year... still, this will be a great addition to the city.

If, in fact, it IS T&T.
However, "asian supermarket" and "new to Winnipeg" screams T&T to me.

H&M holding out for IKEA makes sense too... I'm really curious to know which other "new" retailers might be interested in joining IKEA. Its a no-brainer to gain a foothold in the city beside a MAJOR retail traffic magnet.

On another note, Is London Drugs ever going to open another Winnipeg Location? Polo Park perhaps? Or perhaps by IKEA?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 4:54 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Yes, me too! T&T is a great west-coast, Canadian-born, Asian superstore. Nothing against Lucky at all, but it will be good to have a T&T here, and the location is great. I imagine parking will be integrated with Polo Park's, so that might get a bit hairy at the peak shopping periods throughout the year... still, this will be a great addition to the city.

If, in fact, it IS T&T.
However, "asian supermarket" and "new to Winnipeg" screams T&T to me.

H&M holding out for IKEA makes sense too... I'm really curious to know which other "new" retailers might be interested in joining IKEA. Its a no-brainer to gain a foothold in the city beside a MAJOR retail traffic magnet.

On another note, Is London Drugs ever going to open another Winnipeg Location? Polo Park perhaps? Or perhaps by IKEA?
London Drugs is a funny company. One single location in Winnipeg. They really need to expand into the Polo Park region or even KP. No one just singles out and says hey lets all goto London Drugs in St. Vital when we live in north side or far west side.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan