HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 9:16 PM

That's a good point, sakyle. Still, I'd imagine they got some kind of assurance from both the city and the state that the 281 and 1604 toll projects would be completed sometime in the near future. I bet they also got a pretty good deal on that hunk of land, too.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 9:20 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
That's a good point, sakyle. Still, I'd imagine they got some kind of assurance from both the city and the state that the 281 and 1604 toll projects would be completed sometime in the near future. I bet they also got a pretty good deal on that hunk of land, too.
you are probably right about the tolls and the land deal...

there are always rumors about them getting acquired by a larger fish, as they have been one of the poorer performers in that sector for awhile now. i wondered whether a european company would take advantage of the strong euro to grab them while they are depressed - and then what would happen to their gleaming new HQ.

in the mean-time, i am curious as to who is taking what will soon be the "old" tesoro HQ at jones-maltsberger and 281 next to concord plaza. i would love to take a tour...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 5:22 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
If Tesoro didn't want to be downtown, they should have built there new facility where central park mall used to be. Instead we have another shopping center taking up good space where a skyscraper could have gone. In fact they tore down two twin buildings just for that shopping center. Imagine Tesoro right on Loop 410 and San Pedro. There clients would have better convience since the airport is about 5 minutes from there.
Huh? Park North Plaza was planned before Tesoro ever decided on a new HQ.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 5:26 AM

You also have to remember that Tesoro's HQ is just one piece in the puzzle that is Ridgewood Park.

http://www.ridgewoodparksa.com/

I have to wonder if we could expect more mid or high rise buildings for Ridgewood Park.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
in the mean-time, i am curious as to who is taking what will soon be the "old" tesoro HQ at jones-maltsberger and 281 next to concord plaza. i would love to take a tour...
Oh, I'm sure there will be any number of people in line for that space. Its one of the most convenient hunks of office space there is right now, given its proximity to the airport and the city's business hubs. Somebody will snatch it up, just hopefully not NuStar, because they need to build something downtown

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 3:50 PM

Tesoro

Have you ever noticed that piece of land out by Jones Maltsburger and US 281, in front of the Concord Plaza?
Tesoro should have build the new headquarters there, the building would have been taller since the space is more limited, and they could have incorporated the old headquarters in the design around Concord. Properly designed, it just might have worked.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Have you ever noticed that piece of land out by Jones Maltsburger and US 281, in front of the Concord Plaza?
Tesoro should have build the new headquarters there, the building would have been taller since the space is more limited, and they could have incorporated the old headquarters in the design around Concord. Properly designed, it just might have worked.
I've wondered about that piece of land too, as it does seem like a prime spot for a mid-rise, though flight-paths I'm sure would limit the ultimate height of anything built there. Maybe its right-of-way owned by the state? I know that during the reconstruction of the J-M/281 interchange that a lot of construction equiment and building materials have been kept there.

And since we're on the subject, there's a couple of odd empty lots in that vicinity, including the one at the southeast corner of 281 and Sunset, and the one on the northeast corner of J-M and Rector, in between the Wal-Mart and Best Western (I think it has a white fence around it).

Last edited by oldmanshirt; Aug 5, 2008 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 7:13 PM
Closed account

that piece of land floods pretty often. Maybe that will change with the road improvements on jm.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 7:29 PM

They're working on the drainage there on the corner of Treeline Park and Sunset; guess it was an issue as to why it has sat empty.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 7:34 PM
Closed account

There's a for sale sign now I believe.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 3:43 PM

New Hyatt Place hotel slated for North San Antonio

Found in the 'San Antonio Business Journal' - by Tricia Lynn Silva
"An Alaska real estate firm plans to develop a new Hyatt Place hotel on San Antonio’s far North Side.

CIRI Land Development Co. (CLDC) in Anchorage has begun site work on a 21.5-acre tract of land at the southwest corner of Sonterra Boulevard and U.S. Highway 281.

Early plans for the site call for a mix-use development that will feature a 126-room Hyatt Place hotel. Construction on the property is slated to begin in early 2009.

Hyatt Place is one of the newest brands under the banner of Chicago-based Global Hyatt Corp. The rooms feature 42-inch, flat-panel high-definition televisions, an oversized sleeper sofa and complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi Internet access.

Long-term plans for CLDC’s project are still being finalized. The current strategy, however, calls for a mix of hotels, restaurants and Class A office space.

“We are creating an attractive, functional and sustainable project,” says CLDC President Greg Jones. “Our plans call for a pedestrian friendly layout that will feature trees and green spaces and LEED certification for the office building components.”

LEED, which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is a benchmark for creating energy-efficient developments — from the design of the project to the construction and performance of the development itself. The U.S. Green Building Council developed the LEED guidelines. It is also the entity that is responsible for granting LEED certification to residential and commercial projects.

CLDC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Cook Inlet Region Inc. The company is owned by more than 7,400 Alaska Native shareholders."

Guess this is going up across 281 from Lifetime Fitness behind the Wal-Mart.
I saw on the land there that it was a Hyatt Place and Summerfield Suites side by side, similar to the twin Marriotts at the Rim.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 4:47 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSanAntonioLame View Post
There's a for sale sign now I believe.
ya, i think i've seen something offering sale on "concord II" or something like that...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 5:20 PM

They're planning another LEED building at Brooks City-Base. Man, that area is just exploding!

~~~

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 11:48 AM CDT

New office building planned near Brooks City-BaseSan Antonio Business Journal - by Jessica Elizarraras

A new LEED-certified Class A office building is in the works for San Antonio’s South Side.

The Brooks City-Base Professional Office Center will feature virtual meeting rooms, high-speed elevators, 575 parking spaces and will have access to nearby retail centers and restaurants. The Brooks Development Authority (BDA) is marketing the building to prospective tenants. The BDA is the entity charged with transforming the former Brooks Air Force Base into a thriving research and technology center.

The building is currently in its pre-leasing stage and has been received well by brokers and prospective tenants who have already had second and third pre-leasing meetings, according to the BDA’s Director of Planning and Development Andrew Zapata. An exact square footage of the building has not yet been finalized. BDA officials expect the building to be finished sometime in the fall of 2010.

Although no leases have been signed as of press time, the BDA has started actively marketing their site-plan mock up, while working with construction to reach a silver classification of LEED certification. LEED, which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is a benchmark for creating energy-efficient development projects. The U.S. Green Building Council developed the guidelines.

The estimated price for the project as of yet is $24.5 million. Lease rates are projected to be in the $20 to $21 per square foot range for a minimum five-year lease.

Located just outside Brooks City-Base, the office building will be visible along Interstate 37 and is expected to help boost growth in and around the South Side. It is slated to be built on an 11.5-acre tract along the corner of City-Base Landing and Goliad Road. BDA officials say the office building will fit in well with plans for the new Baptist Health System hospital and improved road infrastructure.

“There’s nothing like it south of downtown,” Zapata says.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...l?surround=lfn

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 6:22 PM

Wow did leak out info? j/k I just posted about it yesterday on the Brooks hospital thread

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 6:45 PM

So this one and that one are definitely the same building?

I saw the pic you posted in the other thread, but didn't read any info about it, and this article didn't have a pic or the building in question, so I kinda just assumed they were different buildings. The fact that the building in the biz journal article doesn't even have its sq footage finalized indicated to me that a final rendering hasn't yet been made.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 7:00 PM

Yeah I just wonder why the Biz Journal posted today when the info has been out there at least since yesterday when I found it. Now I just wonder where it is going; behind the proposed Sam's? or on the other corner of Goliad and CBL?
photo from hpitx.com

sorry for such a large pic but here is also a pdf for the site plans,
it says that the area behind the Wal-Mart and "Sam's" is supposed to be mixed retail
and the area across CBL to the south will be office/light industrial.
The 2010 date is realistic since the Brooks Academy is done and they
are currently working on the Softball fields, oh and the New Braunfels extension is coming along
nicely; they have the medians paved out and the sides of the road too, now they just need to pave
the road out.

Last edited by miaht82; Aug 6, 2008 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 7:38 PM

Haven't they also started on redoing the 37/Military interchange?

btw, my first thought was "holy cow, that's a huge pic!", and then I was mezmerized by it for the next 5 minutes

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 7:48 PM

Well I think it is just "prepping" and infrastructure improvement. I've only seen digging and laying of huge pipes. Probably doing a Diamond interchange ala San Pedro instead of the Cloverleaf.
Also down 37 they are working on widening to 3 lanes; not sure how far that goes up (410?)or down (1604?)

BTW, that pic is a little outdated, many things are missing plus there is a new Sonic set to open on Goliad.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 8:48 PM

The new 37/Military Drive interchange was always going to be a diamond interchange.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 8:49 PM

As for the location of the building, well, the wording says just outside of Brooks City-Vase but will be visible from 37.

Could it be next to the Lowe's/JC Penney/Movie theater development?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio