HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 7:00 AM

All tall buildings have lightening rods which are effectively tiny spires. Electrical charges are drawn to a point so even a series of tiny rods will draw any lightening away from the parapet, mechanical screen, or facade of the building. Once the charge makes contact with the rod, it follows a cable down the building ultimately to the water main where it is launched into the earth. It's bizzare to think about, but all electrical services and most lightening rods are grounded out to the water main. Every time you see the Hancock or Sears get ripped by a big lightening strike it's actually following a cabel down the entire building and bring dumped off into the earth through the water line.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 7:00 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
On the topic of spires, I've always wondered how tall buildings handle lighting strikes when they don't have a spire. Obviously Sears and Hancock absorb the majority of building strikes in Chicago, but in some cities the tallest buildings don't have spires.
The building formerly known as the Onterie building, aka 443 E Erie, has lightning rods in each corner. They're no more than a few feet tall and have thick grounding cable running to, well, the ground. I suspect many/most other buildings downtown have them, too. Lightning rods don't have to be huge, they just have to represent the path to the ground with the least resistance.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 7:10 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
TK2001, are you sure there's still so much left to go? Of course I hope you are right, but according to the photo below which was taken from a sufficiently far vantage point that's practically equidistant from Vista and Aon, these two buildings are now nearly the same height, so I thought Vista is pretty close to topping out, like just 3 or 4 more floors above the core.
I like this photo, although I think it illustrates how the more supertalls we get, the harder it is to judge scale at a distance, especially for people who don't follow every drop of skyscraper construction and know just how tall the peaks in that skyline are.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:07 PM

^^ Thanks for explaining! It truly is amazing how they can handle it.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 11:44 PM

Took this while I was driving on the Kennedy today. Maybe a little north of Fullerton. It's definitely part of the skyline. Something I've observed is that because it's so thin--and the other super-talls in Chicago are quite broad--Vista looks taller than it is. There's a sort of optical illusion that makes my eye feel like it's a little further away than it is, and thus much taller.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 2:09 AM

Take that shot again when the glass is up and the sun is like that !

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 4:03 AM

Some pictures from a couple weeks ago... Been meaning to post them, hopefully its not too late, sorry!

Vista Tower by nuggetzs, on Flickr

75th floor, it was during that extremely foggy day last month so you can imagine the breathtaking views...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 4:11 AM

Mighty fine photos-thanks man, she's a beauty!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanvinHomme View Post
Some pictures from a couple weeks ago... Been meaning to post them, hopefully its not too late, sorry!

75th floor, it was during that extremely foggy day last month so you can imagine the breathtaking views...

^^^ Wow - never too late for those !

I particularly like the details on the crane attachment, always assumed they just bolted onto the slab edge.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 2:24 PM

Visited Vista site on Monday. Foreman stated they were working on a holiday because they were 10 months behind and normally they would be up to 70th floor with the glass. I spoke with someone with Magellan later in the week and was informed the glass delays will not effect the move in date of the first residents in February 2020. I was also told Wanda will definitely be the hotel operator despite not owning the building.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 7:08 PM

I did not proudly post these to photobucket today, but here are some shots from the north.

Last edited by J_M_Tungsten; Jan 6, 2019 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 8:13 PM

Great shots all around!

Here is a quick one I took today - pardon the bad mobile quality.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 10:48 PM

Apologies for poor iPhone quality. But she's looking good from Wicker Park! Nice cluster now between Vista, Trump, and Aon. Can't wait for OCS to fill the gap with Hancock!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 1:10 AM
BANNED

https://wgntv.com/2019/01/05/1-firef...truction-site/

1 firefighter hurt in blaze at Chicago’s Vista Tower construction site

Posted 12:44 PM, January 5, 2019, by Associated Press

CHICAGO — A firefighter has been injured in a blaze at a high-rise construction site in downtown Chicago.

Chicago Fire media affairs says firefighters were called to a fire just before 6 a.m. Saturday at the Vista Tower site on East Wacker Drive. The fire was contained to a basement office.

A spokesman for the Chicago Fire Department says one firefighter suffered an injury to the lower body. The firefighter was taken to a hospital in good condition.

The department says the building was unoccupied at the time, and the fire was extinguished by 7 a.m. The Chicago Sun-Times reports the cause of the fire is under investigation.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 3:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Great shots all around!

Here is a quick one I took today - pardon the bad mobile quality.

This beauty is really coming alive as glass progresses. I mean WOW! Love the dark glass where the floor plates contract and also the effect of the shadows caused by the 3 tower sections being stepped to the north.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:17 AM

Don't live in Chicago anymore, so I am just living vicariously, but this thing is going to look dope when the glass is finished!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanky View Post
Visited Vista site on Monday. Foreman stated they were working on a holiday because they were 10 months behind and normally they would be up to 70th floor with the glass. I spoke with someone with Magellan later in the week and was informed the glass delays will not effect the move in date of the first residents in February 2020. I was also told Wanda will definitely be the hotel operator despite not owning the building.
Interesting... hard to believe the developers had that much fluff in their move in schedule that they could absorb a 10 month delay. They may be trying to save face. Also, it seems like they still have some issues as they have still not completed a full floor of glass. Looks like they are skipping the east elevation balconies for some reason. Anyone know what's going on there?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 12:12 AM

Jan 4

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
https://wgntv.com/2019/01/05/1-firef...truction-site/

1 firefighter hurt in blaze at Chicago’s Vista Tower construction site

Posted 12:44 PM, January 5, 2019, by Associated Press

CHICAGO — A firefighter has been injured in a blaze at a high-rise construction site in downtown Chicago.

Chicago Fire media affairs says firefighters were called to a fire just before 6 a.m. Saturday at the Vista Tower site on East Wacker Drive. The fire was contained to a basement office.

A spokesman for the Chicago Fire Department says one firefighter suffered an injury to the lower body. The firefighter was taken to a hospital in good condition.

The department says the building was unoccupied at the time, and the fire was extinguished by 7 a.m. The Chicago Sun-Times reports the cause of the fire is under investigation.

our baby!!! came to the forums soon as i heard the news. glad no deaths or serious damage to vista

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 4:21 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Looks to be about 10 more floors to go

Last edited by UPChicago; Jan 7, 2019 at 4:48 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture