HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 6:51 PM
Ignore these four words.

I'd love to see something like that on the pie-shaped lot on Notre Dame and Ellice.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 7:01 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ that rendering is too far off the "boxy chic" look that Winnipeg has embraced for the past 120 years.

.....but don't you love engineering "boxy chic".
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Well, no one's ever going to call Osborne Place the prettiest development in town, but I do at least appreciate the fact that it's a big step toward making Confusion Corner a real place of its own instead of just a crossroads you have to pass through to get somewhere else. I always thought it was a little odd that such a high profile urban junction really didn't have any proper urban buildings besides the one with the big billboard on it.

I'm glad to see phase 2 set to rise so soon after the first building. That's a pretty impressive accomplishment for a small local developer (at least that's what I'm assuming to be the case here...).
In this case they have no choice but to build Phase 2 ASAP because all of the parking for phase 1 is in the second building – that's why it's been so slow to open/lease. There's maybe 10 spots at most along the first building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
I'd love to see something like that on the pie-shaped lot on Notre Dame and Ellice.
At this point I'd be thrilled with a 3 storey building with street-front CRUs.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
In this case they have no choice but to build Phase 2 ASAP because all of the parking for phase 1 is in the second building – that's why it's been so slow to open/lease. There's maybe 10 spots at most along the first building.

At this point I'd be thrilled with a 3 storey building with street-front CRUs.
I don't understand where Imperial's money is coming from on this. It does seem to be an ... uh... unorthodox approach to phased construction 😂

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:21 AM

I think the money is coming from "we'll never be able to pay off phase 1 if we don't build 2."

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 4:43 PM

Re: 265 Osborne Project

Some updated images from Board of Adjustment hearing a week or two ago. Proposing robotic parking using 4 entrance bays that then deliver cars to the spots - will this be the first in Winnipeg? The "how to get there" map is probably needed!

Floor 1 is commercial, Floors 2-5 are parking with one residential unit per floor, Floor 6 is office, gym and roof deck, Floor 7 is office, Floors 8-15 are residential.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:04 PM

Seemed an odd thing to put one residential unit on each parkade floor, but that is what they are doing based on the floor plan. I guess the cars won't be running as they are being placed, so exhaust fumes and additional ventilation control wouldn't be an issue. Wonder if sound insulation or vibration from the equipment would be an issue.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:08 PM

Actually a pretty neat set-up. Those units have two entrances. One at the elevator, one at the back stairwell.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:09 PM

^ It's not bad. I don't foresee any architectural awards in the offing here, but it brings some density to an underutilized corner, and it makes a much better effort at addressing the street than most new multistorey buildings in town.

The project reminds me of the bland, somewhat anodyne white buildings that you see everywhere in Tokyo... they don't really stand out individually but they add up to create some pretty amazing urban environments:

Another couple thousand more like Osborne Place and we'll really be getting somewhere

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Seemed an odd thing to put one residential unit on each parkade floor, but that is what they are doing based on the floor plan. I guess the cars won't be running as they are being placed, so exhaust fumes and additional ventilation control wouldn't be an issue. Wonder if sound insulation or vibration from the equipment would be an issue.
That does not strike me as a desirable living arrangement... I would need a pretty steep discount on rent before I'd even consider something like that.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Re: 265 Osborne Project

Some updated images from Board of Adjustment hearing a week or two ago. Proposing robotic parking using 4 entrance bays that then deliver cars to the spots - will this be the first in Winnipeg? The "how to get there" map is probably needed!
Nope: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...427718613.html

First was in 1956 at the Marlborough Parkade.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:15 PM

Except there a 'parkmaster' controlled where the car was sent from their high chair. This one is robotic, so no people. Still super cool though. Mr. Cassidy does a great job.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 6:25 PM

I'm a little nervous about the part that says it's 2 phases, the first phase being floors 1-7, and then the second being the residential floors 8-15

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That does not strike me as a desirable living arrangement... I would need a pretty steep discount on rent before I'd even consider something like that.
Really? Because this is noise you can plan and build for. You know what kind of noise it's going to be, you know how loud it's going to be. As a builder you can build for it; as a buyer you can hear before moving in what the noise is like.

Versus, say, a regular condo where you share a wall with other humans, who may generate the amount and kind of noise planned/built for, and who may also put their subwoofer directly against the wall opposite your bedroom, and whose noise level isn't known before you decide to rent.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
I'm a little nervous about the part that says it's 2 phases, the first phase being floors 1-7, and then the second being the residential floors 8-15
Did the city allow them that "phased" approach? Given how their first building has worked out so far, I'd count on them building the parkade and then stopping.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 7:51 PM

Yes, Board of Adjustment approved their variances needed for Phase 1, so they will start with floors 1-7. We'll have to see if the top residential floors get constructed.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 8:00 PM
Winnipeg

What evidence makes it convincing that phase 2 may not get built?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 8:11 PM

Don't think anyone can point to any hard evidence at this point. For me, some apprehension comes from the developer only getting permits/approvals in place to build half the building - that is enough to raise some suspicion about the funding (maybe not so much the commitment) for a full build. I think it is fair to say that the developer is at least protecting the option to bail out of the residential component if needed, otherwise they would have sought approvals for the full build and not phased it.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
What evidence makes it convincing that phase 2 may not get built?
They're building this with urgency because they're completely unable to lease their first building until they have parking for it. It's sitting 80% complete and totally vacant.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the whole residential bit is half pipe dream and half strategy for getting their parking garage built (if they came to the city with a plan for a 4-storey parkade, they'd certainly have been shot down, but they've apparently been approved to build their parkade on the basis of a plan to eventually do a staged build of residential above it).

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 2:23 AM

I'd imagine (/hope) they'd want to get approval for the first phase so they can get right to it and have the parking for the first building ASAP, then have a bit more time on phase 2. I just can't imagine the economics of installing the robotic parkade work without the residential on top... would be an awful expensive parkade for that small office building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan