HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 11:54 AM

A good example of LRT for Saskatoon would maybe be Tuscon’s System (population 500,000)?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Link

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 2:20 PM

Tucson info.

Quote:
The 2010 United States Census put the population at 520,116,[3] while the 2015 estimated population of the entire Tucson metropolitan statistical area (MSA) was 980,263
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucson,_Arizona

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 6:59 PM

What's the tall new building that is being constructed near the WDM?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddStoon View Post
What's the tall new building that is being constructed near the WDM?
Sandman Hotel

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
Is it possible that the Sears location of the mall could be renovated and move the Bay into that location. The current Bay site could then be converted into convention space as it is already attached to TCU Place. Put an arena on the lot North of 22nd and connect the 2 with skywalks. Leaves the former STC site as a prime location for a parkade with ground level bars/restaurants perfectly situated across from the arena. From there it’s an easy walk to North Downtown which could help spur that development. Also spreads the foc points of Downtown (arena and river landing) out which ensures that business throughout downtown will be within walking distance.
I could get behind this idea! Another possibility would be to go the other direction and take over the YMCA. If I am not mistaken, there has been talk of them wanting some new digs. It would have the potential to expand all the way to the corner of Idylwyld and 22nd. A corner, in my opinion that could very much use an impressive building like a convention centre.

It will likely come down to property large enough that the city owns or can get cheap. Do the midtown owners own the parking lot?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
I could get behind this idea! Another possibility would be to go the other direction and take over the YMCA. If I am not mistaken, there has been talk of them wanting some new digs. It would have the potential to expand all the way to the corner of Idylwyld and 22nd. A corner, in my opinion that could very much use an impressive building like a convention centre.

It will likely come down to property large enough that the city owns or can get cheap. Do the midtown owners own the parking lot?
The YMCA has needed new digs for a long time. I remember how dated that place looked in the 90s... They deserve a better location, too. Edmonton has a few YMCAs closer to suburban areas for more community usage.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 6:00 AM

Unless they've changed direction on the plan, the YMCA engaged a Construction Management firm to undertake major renovation at their existing location. That was about a year ago, but the pace of work was going to be dictated by fund raising efforts.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 2:49 PM

The northeast part of the city is going to get the type of facility that the Y brings (although I think I read that a rink was wanted too) so maybe kill two birds with one stone. Maybe the Y would be willing to relocate to say University Heights where it could have it's choice of the abundant parking lots. Or maybe the renovation has begun and this is all moot.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:10 PM

The city bought that little triangle piece from STC. Wonder how that will fit in with future north downtown plans now that they have control.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:12 PM
Horko

Funny you should say that. I had a few minutes to kill today so i went driving around through that area. And i'm convinced that somewhere in the Central Industrial Area is the most sensible place to put the new Arena/Convention Center complex, if it is to go downtown. Room to build, room to expand, room for future development. Build parking lots around the complex and when a Developer with deep pockets wants to build close by, sell them a piece of the parking lot.

Last edited by Horko; Mar 28, 2018 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:05 AM
Horko

Check the link below. Looking north from downtown, and into the future, picture the Robin Hood mill and CP rail line (future LRT line) between the arena and football stadium. Saskatoon will probably get a CFL team before we get a NHL team. And i'm not saying include a football stadium in all this, but just keep in mind what you want this city to look like 20, 30, 50 years from now. Take advantage of our hours of sunshine and fill the arena roof with solar panels. Utilize the hydro thermal energy beneath us for heating. Why build on the smallest possible footprint in the Central Business District when we have room to the north. https://asunow.asu.edu/content/asu-s...-145-megawatts

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horko View Post
Check the link below. Looking north from downtown, and into the future, picture the Robin Hood mill and CP rail line (future LRT line) between the arena and football stadium. Saskatoon will probably get a CFL team before we get a NHL team. And i'm not saying include a football stadium in all this, but just keep in mind what you want this city to look like 20, 30, 50 years from now. Take advantage of our hours of sunshine and fill the arena roof with solar panels. Utilize the hydro thermal energy beneath us for heating. Why build on the smallest possible footprint in the Central Business District when we have room to the north. https://asunow.asu.edu/content/asu-s...-145-megawatts
I agree about the CFL, although even that is a longshot. I also agree that solar is looking promising for new builds, although it is still too expensive and storage is ridiculously expensive. In ten years, solar should be a lot more competitive.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I agree about the CFL, although even that is a longshot. I also agree that solar is looking promising for new builds, although it is still too expensive and storage is ridiculously expensive. In ten years, solar should be a lot more competitive.
Fun fact Friday: Mid Scale Solar can actually fully repay itself off after 7-8 years here based on what Saskpower is willing to currently pay for power and is privately building out right now with their goal of becoming 50% renewable by 2030. The panels are typically fully warrantied for 25 years and the actual lifespan is closer to 50 years.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Fun fact Friday: Mid Scale Solar can actually fully repay itself off after 7-8 years here based on what Saskpower is willing to currently pay for power and is privately building out right now with their goal of becoming 50% renewable by 2030. The panels are typically fully warrantied for 25 years and the actual lifespan is closer to 50 years.
I’d be fine with the city investing in solar ontop of a new arena. Solar ontop of roofs on high rises will be a thing soon enough anyways.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 3:27 PM

Apparently the board for the YMCA has decided that it doesn't want to move and open up that space for part of a potential arena. I heard that the city approached the board asking to consider moving and they have declined.

Also, I heard that the YMCA needs $1.4M for renovations. That tells me that they aren't planning on doing anything other than pretty much making sure that the roof doesn't fall in...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 9:40 PM

Does the YMCA own the land and building? I dont know a whole lot about how they operate.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Does the YMCA own the land and building? I dont know a whole lot about how they operate.
Yes to both.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 6:27 PM

Well if they think they can get a better deal later it makes sense that they rejected that proposal. It wouldnt be a bad spot overall to be honest. Still close enough to everything and leaves all the parking in the area intact. not that I care about walking an extra block or 2 but apparently everyone else does.

clarification** everyone else outside of this forum

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 4:21 PM

Just curious...I was just in the west part of the Stonebridge commercial area and was amazed to see that office buildings are still being constructed out there, given the reported occupancy rates.

Does anyone know what the total commercial space is out in Stonebridge? It must be significant....and in my opinion (although I know not shared by all on here) takes away from the potential and vibrancy of a healthy downtown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 4:23 PM

Painted Black: Artists lose studios with sale of landmark building
“It’s just been a terrific space for artists. Has great light. The rent is very reasonable,” says artist Betsy Rosenwald.

Cam Fuller, Saskatoon StarPhoenix Cam Fuller, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: April 5, 2018 | Last Updated: April 5, 2018 9:22 AM CST

Quote:
About 20 Saskatoon artists are losing their cherished studio space with the sale of the legendary Tees and Persse building on First Avenue North.

“It’s just been a terrific space for artists. Has great light. The rent is very reasonable,” Betsy Rosenwald said recently.

She’s been renting her portion of the fourth floor for about 20 years. In fact, she started renting three months before moving to Saskatoon from New York knowing how rare good space can be.

“We don’t need much, we just need walls and light and access and a locked door. It’s just been a terrific 20 years for me here.”

Dawna Rose has had her studio in the rugged 1911 former warehouse for 25 years. There’s never been hot water but rent was cheap and it suited her needs. She gets emotional thinking about losing it.

“The only thing that’s kept me in the city is this space. I don’t have any reason to be here other than this space. Why stay here, really? It’s a serious thing to contemplate. It sounds drastic, but it’s true.”

The building has been owned by the Carmichael family for more than 45 years. Ken Carmichael took over from his parents running Charter House Interiors on the lower levels. Now 65, he’s looking at retirement. A sign on the door says a retirement sale will be held April 6 to 14.

“I sympathize with them,” he said of the artists. “Some of them have been here 25 years or more with me and it’s worked out great for everybody. It’s nothing fancy but I made the most of what I could out of it and I need to retire.”

He put the building up for sale in January, asking $1.95 million. Real estate agent Scott Friesen said he couldn’t comment on any aspect of the sale or who the potential buyer is.

Still up in the air is when the tenants have to leave. On March 23, the artists were given until April 30.
http://thestarphoenix.com/entertainm...dmark-building

I suspect that this is a precursor of news to come on the new owner's intentions for the Tees & Persse warehouse on 1st Ave. I sincerely hope it involves retaining the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan