HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 10:38 PM
The City

The thick masonry of those old buildings just has a texture that we can’t reproduce today.

Imagine people walking around in 1930.....they had no idea that they were living in such dreamy and gorgeous cityscapes

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The thick masonry of those old buildings just has a texture that we can’t reproduce today.

Imagine people walking around in 1930.....they had no idea that they were living in such dreamy and gorgeous cityscapes
The sheer beauty of the skyline...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
LaSalle Street takes the global title. I prefer the stark termination of the Board of Trade to the vanishing point on New York avenues (minus Park Avenue, and there I don't like the 60s boxes).

Randy Scherkenbach, Flickr
Definitely one of the contenders. Can you imagine how much more impressive this would be if the Sears Tower was directly behind (south of) the CBOT?

So many impressive photos on here. I'm pretty sure Manhattan takes the cake from a dozen different streets.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 2:34 AM

Sunny Isles Beach takes the cake for the most unique Half-Canyon. 50-60+ story towers on one side of the road. Stip malls on the other side.
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9524...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 2:40 AM
Space Magi

It can't compete with most of these big-city urban canyons, but I have to say that Salt Lake City does have a lovely Main Street with a great mix of old and new buildings. It's really the only location within probably a 300 mile radius that even resembles an urban canyon.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7678...7i13312!8i6656

Source: SOM

Easy access to amazing natural canyons too

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 3:04 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

I've always thought Montgomery St. has the best skyscraper canyon in SF:

source

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Good selection for LA. I would say a more modern canyon that can be a candidate for best in LA would be Grand Ave from Disney Hall looking South, especially after The Grand project is completed.

From what ive seen on this thread so far, gonna be hard to beat that SF canyon and the Chicago one on LaSalle
I agree Grand Ave is another good one, but I prefer the vantage point from a couple of blocks south of there, right as it crests the hill. This one shows up in a bunch of car commercials.
https://goo.gl/maps/myC1RjUfdCtmyzJn8

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 4:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
The sheer beauty of the skyline...

stuffnobodycaresabout.com

My heart literally aches when I see the way the downtown skyline once looked. There could not be a more perfect skyline, anywhere, anytime, not now, not ever.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 6:36 AM

Singapore has a few good canyons.

This is Robinson Road:
https://goo.gl/maps/VqU4NLSawEvRUoWc8

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 10:14 AM
if I sang out of tune

Shenzhen, the one at 03:09

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 9:10 PM

Great thread idea. I have very strong feelings on this topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
In Manhattan, any of the Midtown canyons are of course fantastic (though I'd say the West 30s are generally the best of the best); but my real favourites are some of the broad, north-south residential canyons on the Upper East and West sides, especially where you get a view downhill: https://goo.gl/maps/CAXQTXtRzFwGtFhH9

One of my favourite intersections downtown: https://goo.gl/maps/gn5bP6z3xGqgDr1V7
Excellent post. We have very similar taste. When it comes to canyons, it's all about proportions. The street has to be long and straight, which rules out most Asian and South American canyons. The buildings have to be tall, otherwise the canyon effect is stunted--which rules out Europe. Canyons are best experienced from within, looking up rather than looking down, which rules out the drop-dead gorgeous California St vista in San Francisco posted above. Terminating buildings give a super cool box canyon effect, but they don't quite epitomize what I love about urban valleys. This rules out top contenders like Lasalle, Park, Wall and Chambers. What I love about skyscraper canyons is the sense that the city is both embracing you and opening itself up to you. It's massive, but it won't suffocate you. This is why the grid is so important to the beauty of New York and Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Stoked Brah View Post
A damn good contender. Bonus points for good architecture. But architecture counts for only 5% of your grade. Again, it's all about the proportions. Also, Monroe st and others are penalized for marring the view with an elevated train/street/skybridge. 42 street and just about all Chicago streets are disqualified for this same reason. No, the sky really has to come down and kiss the street, preferably at a great distance.

So it has to be New York. My favorite?

Third Avenue

Maybe the most massive skyscraper canyon in the world. It goes on for miles. There is no terminus. Just huge buildings going on forever, creating a vanishing point to the horizon. It creates the illusion that you can just keep going, all the way around the world, without leaving the comforts of its greatest city.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 12:04 PM

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 5:17 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
^ One of the best, and going to be even better once the Wolf Point towers are all completed

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
So it has to be New York. My favorite?

Third Avenue

Maybe the most massive skyscraper canyon in the world. It goes on for miles. There is no terminus. Just huge buildings going on forever, creating a vanishing point to the horizon. It creates the illusion that you can just keep going, all the way around the world, without leaving the comforts of its greatest city.
Third Ave. might be the longest contiguous highrise canyon anywhere. It's pretty much nothing but highrises from roughly NoHo to 100th Street. Third Ave. isn't really a famed avenue, and many of the towers are kinda generic postwar towers, but it's a very impressive walk from end-to-end. I've done it a couple of times.

And in many ways, functionally, Third Ave. is the "main street" of the Upper East Side. It's the most important commercial street in the wealthiest urban neighborhood anywhere, yet still flies somewhat under the radar. Everyone knows Fifth, Madison, Park and Lex, but Third is easily more vibrant.

One reason Third might not have the pedigree of other Manhattan avenues - the Third Avenue Elevated ran until the late 1950's, and so Third was a nonstop corridor of working class tenements. Once the Elevated was removed (which was stupid because its subway replacement under Second Ave. still isn't finished today), the highrises sprouted, but this means Third doesn't have the typical NYC prewar highrises.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 7:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
some Chicago gems:

the iconic river canyon
If wacker dr wasn't there it would be 1000% more urban canyon-y

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Third Ave. might be the longest contiguous highrise canyon anywhere. It's pretty much nothing but highrises from roughly NoHo to 100th Street. Third Ave. isn't really a famed avenue, and many of the towers are kinda generic postwar towers, but it's a very impressive walk from end-to-end. I've done it a couple of times.
And if you follow Third's natural extension down into Chinatown with a quick jog left, you end up on Pearl/Water. Third Avenue laps the non-New York competition ten or eleven times

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 2:10 PM

I think for New York, it would be interesting to go multi-dimensional.

What intersections have impressive canyons in all directions?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 2:59 PM
World Traveler

Obviously no where near the same scale with height or density, but Congress St. Austin, facing north with the Texas Capitol Building centered at the end is one of my favorites. Many others are better true canyons, of course, but that one is pretty cool.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 2:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
I think for New York, it would be interesting to go multi-dimensional.

What intersections have impressive canyons in all directions?
Many do!

Hell, Times Square is a token example of that.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 3:22 PM

Atlanta on Peachtree from Downtown to Midtown is pretty impressive:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7594...7i16384!8i8192

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions