HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah Montreal doesn't feel overrun with tourists, but in addition to the Vieux, the main downtown shopping street (Sainte-Catherine) is typically full of people from out of town, and certain nightlife areas often feel like half of the young people from Boston are hanging out there.
I hesitated with Ste-Catherine because, like Stade Olympique, while a major tourist draw, it's still well populated with locales. It isn't exactly like Times Square.

For what it's worth, none of Canada's large cities (save Quebec City) particularly feel overrun with tourists. Really, it's just smaller cities like Charlottetown and Niagara Falls. Probably speaks to how Canada isn't generally a place people come from overseas to visit the cities so much as the natural sights.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 9:36 PM
E pluribus unum

I know jack shit about Montreal but will occasionally rock an Expos t-shirt becaude that team and city were screwed. Would a local explain why Stade Olympique is still a tourist draw? The CFL team? I've never heard anything but complaints about it when it hosted baseball games.

Or am I just misunderstanding something?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 9:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I know jack shit about Montreal but will occasionally rock an Expos t-shirt becaude that team and city were screwed. Would a local explain why Stade Olympique is still a tourist draw? The CFL team? I've never heard anything but complaints about it when it hosted baseball games.

Or am I just misunderstanding something?
UE referred to the stadium but I think what he had in mind was the Parc Olympique which is a whole bunch of attractions with the stadium at its heart.

You can visit the stadium for sure and many people do. In spite of its flaws as a baseball stadium it's actually pretty cool and unique architecturally.

Looming over the stadium is the world's tallest leaning tower which has an observation deck.

And the Olympic velodrome was turned into the Biodôme, which is a pretty neat ecological museum featuring various ecosystems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTGYZRGlBDY

The site is also home to one of Canada's only planetariums, and right across the street from the stadium is the botanical garden (2nd largest in the world?) which also has other attractions like an insectarium.

So lots to see there!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 10:21 PM
E pluribus unum

Thank you. I agree that it's an engineering/architecturally significant structure (both the stadium itself and the leaning tower). Forgot about Parc Olympique. I never could understand how the retractable roof was supposed to work, but I don't think the engineers who constructed it did either.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
UE referred to the stadium but I think what he had in mind was the Parc Olympique which is a whole bunch of attractions with the stadium at its heart.

You can visit the stadium for sure and many people do. In spite of its flaws as a baseball stadium it's actually pretty cool and unique architecturally.

Looming over the stadium is the world's tallest leaning tower which has an observation deck.

And the Olympic velodrome was turned into the Biodôme, which is a pretty neat ecological museum featuring various ecosystems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTGYZRGlBDY

The site is also home to one of Canada's only planetariums, and right across the street from the stadium is the botanical garden (2nd largest in the world?) which also has other attractions like an insectarium.

So lots to see there!
Yes, sorry I meant the entire Parc Olympique and its various complexes. The Stade and its tower are just an iconic landmark that I think symbolizes the area strongly.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions