HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 5:31 PM

LOL, I just noticed that map has Lake Erie written as Lake "Eerie".

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 5:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ also, there's no such city/town named "south chicago".

there is an individual neighborhood on the southside of the city of chicago with that name, but it seems a bit weird to start labeling individual neighborhood names on a large-scale regional map like that, especially considering that US Steel's old south works plant that once stood there has been gone for nearly 3 decades now.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 24, 2020 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 5:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
LOL, I just noticed that map has Lake Erie written as Lake "Eerie".
perhaps the mapmaker was scared of the lake?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 6:08 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
I dont consider Western New York total deep rustbelt. Its rooted in heavy industry and its still definitely present. But there was and is white collar in Rochester/Buffalo. Colleges, tech and health that attract from outside the region in WNY. Also alot recreational. The stretch of Lake Ontario from Fort Niagara to the St Lawrence is barely touched by industry compared to L Erie.
Buffalo and Rochester are solid Rust Belt. They are shadows of their former selves largely because of de-industrialization. And much of the Lake Ontario region east of Rochester is not WNY but CNY and the north country.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 6:11 PM

Re: the Rust Belt map. I don't know Grand Rapids very well, but on a macro level the numbers don't really suggest that it's Rust Belt. Ypsilanti, which I know a lot better, is questionably Rust Belt. It is part of the Ann Arbor MSA, which is not Rust Belt. But it does have strong historical ties to the automotive industry. Like Ann Arbor, though, Ypsilanti's largest employer is a university.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 6:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Is CNY better or worse than CSNY?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 6:20 PM

I don’t think there ever was a CNY...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 6:21 PM

^^ and without Y, CSN is fucking Menudo or 98 Degrees

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 6:23 PM
Dryer lint inspector

CSNY is waaaaay better than CNY. I mean, could Syracuse pull of something like Carry On?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
If Western New York State isn't Rustbelt, then I don't know what the rustbelt is.
lol NOOOOO, not this terrible MS paint map from over ten years ago made by some random dude being posted here AGAIN.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
lol NOOOOO, not this terrible MS paint map from over ten years ago made by some random dude being posted here AGAIN.
lmao not MS Paint!

I thought it was weird that Covington, KY was spelled Convington. Also, Columbus is notably absent. I thought that might have been an intentional omission, i.e. saying that Cbus isn't a rust belt city, but given all the other errors and sloppiness, it's probably just another mistake. That "map" is a hot mess.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 8:51 PM

Pittsburgh as recovered Rust Belt seems like a bit of a stretch.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:24 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
lmao not MS Paint!

I thought it was weird that Covington, KY was spelled Convington. Also, Columbus is notably absent. I thought that might have been an intentional omission, i.e. saying that Cbus isn't a rust belt city, but given all the other errors and sloppiness, it's probably just another mistake. That "map" is a hot mess.
Misspelling my hometown's name has always been a sore point. Three n's, one t.

Then there's the infamous Reds jersey with "Cininnati"

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Misspelling my hometown's name has always been a sore point. Three n's, one t.

Then there's the infamous Reds jersey with "Cininnati"
Oh wow, how did I not catch that! And also, yes, lol to Pittsburgh being the one little island of "recovered rust belt"

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
... but given all the other errors and sloppiness, it's probably just another mistake. That "map" is a hot mess.
Yeah, this thing pops up a few times a year in various threads (it's probably back a few pages in this thread, I imagine)... and it seems like we find something new wrong with it each time.

Two errors I just noticed this time:

1) Pennsylvania's "Coal Region" is nowhere near that large -- that big light blue blob on the map is just silly. Most of Central PA from north to south was NOT / is NOT coal country. The large bituminous field of PA is west of the Allegheny Front on the Allegheny Plateau, and the anthracite fields are in the northeast around Scranton-WB area and between the Scranton-WB area and the Lehigh Valley. The Ridge & Valley region of the Appalachian Mountains and the Susquehanna valleys (the major central chunk of PA) was never coal country.

2) Butler, PA is roughly 30 miles due N of Pittsburgh in reality... but this map would have you believe that Butler is in fact, around 60 miles to the ENE. Same situation for New Kensington... way off target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Pittsburgh as recovered Rust Belt seems like a bit of a stretch.
Yeah, that's a big stretch. Maybe if the green dot was a lot smaller, but still likely too much of a stretch.

Also, Springfield, MA... a stretch to call it recovered rust belt.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I admit I don't know Akron well, but looking online, it doesn't seem comparable. Highland Square seems to be basically a "streetcar suburban" strip. There's not even a cohesive street wall. And the other neighborhoods you list seem to be straight-up suburbia - even if it's "yuppie-track" as far as Akron goes.

Oregon has a legitimately nice little Victorian business district, and an impressive stock of old-urban housing on the back streets. It's small, but it's quite nice regardless.
Thanks for sharing this. I've heard about the Oregon District but had no idea it was anything like that. Never being there, I had always thought it was like Highland Square in Akron. It looks to be more like the historic areas of Ohio City in Cleveland though, which is my favorite neighborhood anywhere here (and which I deeply miss living in!).

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4842...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4847...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4848...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I admit I don't know Akron well, but looking online, it doesn't seem comparable. Highland Square seems to be basically a "streetcar suburban" strip. There's not even a cohesive street wall. And the other neighborhoods you list seem to be straight-up suburbia - even if it's "yuppie-track" as far as Akron goes.

Oregon has a legitimately nice little Victorian business district, and an impressive stock of old-urban housing on the back streets. It's small, but it's quite nice regardless.
Wow , it looks great!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshSteve View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I've heard about the Oregon District but had no idea it was anything like that. Never being there, I had always thought it was like Highland Square in Akron. It looks to be more like the historic areas of Ohio City in Cleveland though, which is my favorite neighborhood anywhere here (and which I deeply miss living in!).

That’s what came to mind.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshSteve View Post

Yeah, the Oregon District is very nice. It's small, but a great historic urban neighborhood. It has/had a somewhat bohemian and queer vibe, which is also nice and fairly rare to have in a smaller city. I'd say it feels like a mix of Cleveland's Ohio City, and Columbus' German Village.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 3:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
^^ and without Y, CSN is fucking Menudo or 98 Degrees

Keep on rockin' in the Rust Belt

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions