HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 1:04 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Is it exquisite? (Or, "Where does HHNC live now?")

Those of you who have been following along know by now that I have moved out of Asheville. It came as a surprise to me also, but here we are. By "we" I mean my husband and me, and by "here" I mean another city entirely. Do you know where it might be? Take a look and see if you can guess.

(Note: I'm trying something new in uploading these pics, so if they're gigantic and swamp your monitor, let me know so I can feel positively chagrined and try to fix it several hours from now.)

Meanwhile, please enjoy this fitting theme music -- after sitting through the twenty-minute bullshit infomercial that youtube will try to force you to watch first -- while trying to guess where I live now:

Video Link

Note: The title of that video game song I used as a soundtrack for this thread is a clue, albeit a very obscure one, about the city where I live now.

Note 2, Revenge of the Note: I'm aware there are duplicate photos in this thread. Sorry about that -- but with this new way of posting, good fucking luck trying to dig through the thread to find them and delete the duplicates.

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 2:25 PM

Greenville, SC?

Looks nice! I hope you enjoy your new home.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:18 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Greenville, SC?

Looks nice! I hope you enjoy your new home.
Yay! You win a cookie!

Question -- Did you just happen to recognize some of the landmarks, or did I slip up and give it away? I tried hard to keep the name of the city or the state flag out of the background, but I can see where the name of the city is barely visible on a banner in the background, and where you can see the name off the city on the newspaper building through some windows. I can also see that the license plates on the cars show up, because the pics show up really big on this PC I use... On the Mac at home, they didn't show up quite so big on the screen.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Question -- Did you just happen to recognize some of the landmarks, or did I slip up and give it away?
I Google map searched "Addy's Dutch", and right away it found a place called "Addy's Dutch Cafe" in Greenville, SC (appropriately located on Coffee Street, no less) that looks exactly like the one in your photo.

So a fun little mystery to solve, but not a terribly challenging one. Google maps is making these kinds of location guessing games a lot easier than they used to be decades ago. If you get any kind of unique words or phrase to search, you'll usually figure it out.

Anyway, looks like a nice town, congrats on the move.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 4:35 PM

I figured out that it was Greenville, after seeing the waterfalls.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 5:31 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I Google map searched "Addy's Dutch"
I did the same thing but then recognized the city from photos later in the thread. The V-shaped Westin Poinsett Hotel and the wild boar statue among others.

Congratulations! You've landed in a fantastic city with a plenty to see and do in the area. Traveling from Atlanta to Asheville, you get a rather disgusting impression of the city but taking the time to venture off the bypass route is well worth the effort. Wonderful downtown!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 5:52 PM

I Google Map searched "Addy's Dutch" as well. I've never been to South Carolina---or that part of the US.

Again, congrats on your move, and enjoy your new digs!

And thanks for the virtual cookie!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:18 AM
Me?!?

I guessed it without looking anything up but I have been through parts of Greenville before and recognized some of the landmarks from pics I had seen. It looks like a neat, charming place so next time I am down there I am definitely going to explore it further. Congrats on the move and what are your thoughts so far?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 1:37 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
I guessed it without looking anything up but I have been through parts of Greenville before and recognized some of the landmarks from pics I had seen. It looks like a neat, charming place so next time I am down there I am definitely going to explore it further. Congrats on the move and what are your thoughts so far?
To be honest, I haven't had much time to really spend out in the city, so I don't have as many thoughts on things as I'd like. I can tell you though that Greenville definitely feels like a city. It feels much larger than Asheville and I suppose that's a given, considering that only on paper is Asheville larger. Greenville has a much smaller municipal population but an exponentially larger metro area.

That being said, traffic in Greenville also feels like big city traffic, and it doesn't fuck around. On the bright side though, people use their turn signals much more often than anyone does in Asheville. In Asheville, only the tourists use their turn signals and the locals know not to, because knowing that only tourists use them, it makes the locals driving nearby drive more aggressively. If you use your turn signal in Asheville it draws attention to yourself.

Otherwise, an aspect of Greenville that I've seen enough to love is the fact that Greenville is so much more diverse than Asheville and still, even after decades spent visiting Greenville now and then, you're almost guaranteed to hear at least three different languages being spoken in Greenville whenever you go out shopping or to eat. That hasn't changed about the place and I think that's great. Another aspect is that Greenville in many ways is delightfully ghetto. For instance, on the north side of town is a beauty supply store in an old Eckerd's pharmacy building called Boom Boom Beauty, a name, I think we can all agree, that simply has class out the ass. To give another example, my husband and I were grabbing dinner at a Jack-in-the-Box drive-thru when the lady -- who was sporting glittery nails and fake eyelashes, both about three inches long -- accidentally dropped our food out the window. "Shit!" we all exclaimed in unison, made eye contact, then had a good laugh while she went back to remake the order. Little things like that just make the place endearing.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 8:33 PM
them bones

I’ve been there a couple of times. Always impressive and a city that seems to be doing many things right.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 10:28 PM

Looks like a nice balance of old-school charm and more recent, modern development.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 3:42 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
To be honest, I haven't had much time to really spend out in the city, so I don't have as many thoughts on things as I'd like. I can tell you though that Greenville definitely feels like a city. It feels much larger than Asheville and I suppose that's a given, considering that only on paper is Asheville larger. Greenville has a much smaller municipal population but an exponentially larger metro area.

That being said, traffic in Greenville also feels like big city traffic, and it doesn't fuck around. On the bright side though, people use their turn signals much more often than anyone does in Asheville. In Asheville, only the tourists use their turn signals and the locals know not to, because knowing that only tourists use them, it makes the locals driving nearby drive more aggressively. If you use your turn signal in Asheville it draws attention to yourself.

Otherwise, an aspect of Greenville that I've seen enough to love is the fact that Greenville is so much more diverse than Asheville and still, even after decades spent visiting Greenville now and then, you're almost guaranteed to hear at least three different languages being spoken in Greenville whenever you go out shopping or to eat. That hasn't changed about the place and I think that's great. Another aspect is that Greenville in many ways is delightfully ghetto. For instance, on the north side of town is a beauty supply store in an old Eckerd's pharmacy building called Boom Boom Beauty, a name, I think we can all agree, that simply has class out the ass. To give another example, my husband and I were grabbing dinner at a Jack-in-the-Box drive-thru when the lady -- who was sporting glittery nails and fake eyelashes, both about three inches long -- accidentally dropped our food out the window. "Shit!" we all exclaimed in unison, made eye contact, then had a good laugh while she went back to remake the order. Little things like that just make the place endearing.
Sounds like I would fit in perfectly I will definitely have to explore it further next time I am down there. SC is overlooked in many ways and I could never quite figure out why, as it has a lot going for it (but I guess there are some pros to being overlooked as well).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 1:31 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Sounds like I would fit in perfectly I will definitely have to explore it further next time I am down there. SC is overlooked in many ways and I could never quite figure out why, as it has a lot going for it (but I guess there are some pros to being overlooked as well).
Yeah, I've heard about you... You just want to get in on some of that sweet, sweet turn signal action.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 2:13 AM
Red October standing by

great thread, and glad to hear you're enjoying the move to G-Vegas. i haven't properly been there in 4 years...this thread makes me want to go back and visit.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 4:53 AM
Meh

Cute looking city and I love the natural scenery and greenery.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos