HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:08 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Oh of course. I'd say Manitobans prefer to have low taxes and low provision of public goods, versus high taxes and high provision of public goods. The net result is that our province tends to lack much of the public amenities seen in other provinces, and the ones that we do have are of a lesser standard.

This is simply a reflection of the public's will. If enough people wanted to get more stuff built, they would express their concern. But instead the fiscal conservatives in this province tend to have the loudest voice, so the province is trending away from public investment. There's nothing wrong with holding that position, it's a completely valid one. But it's not without its consequences.
But it's completely cyclical.

We vote for the NDP (which, as a lifelong hater of the NDP, I have to admit that they did pretty well for the province under Doer) which spends us into oblivion. Then, people get sick of them handing out our cash to every open palm so we vote in the Conservatives and they tell us we'll be lucky if we can have running water.

I've been watching it swing back and forth this way my entire life and it's completely predictable. I've always wondered why the Liberals do so poorly in provincial elections considering how good they are at running the country (and I say that as somebody who flip flops between them and the PC party) On the other hand, at the provincial level, they just left a lot of people in Ontario seething, so there's that.

In any case, I would possibly even consider holding my nose and voting NDP if they'd spend our cash on something new that I also consider of value. For some reason, they don't like spending money on highways and we know the conservatives certainly don't either. In fact, have the conservatives ever put any money into highways? I mean, even building them in remote areas? Probably but I'd be surprised.

What I want to see is Manitoba at least get dragged into the 20th century by completing a decent freeway system through the province linking us to the US, Saskatchewan and Ontario. If that's the end goal then that's great but I question how long it will take. No government in Manitoba seems to think highways are ever of any importance.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:44 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Manitoba probably needs its equivalent of Saskatchewan Party. It’s a good question whether or not Regina Bypass would have been built and TCH east of Regina grade-separated if it weren’t for SP.

That said, I’m still pissed that NDP kaboshed the construction of an interchange at 1/16.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Manitoba probably needs its equivalent of Saskatchewan Party. It’s a good question whether or not Regina Bypass would have been built and TCH east of Regina grade-separated if it weren’t for SP.

That said, I’m still pissed that NDP kaboshed the construction of an interchange at 1/16.
You're looking at it way too simplistically. There is no basis for believing that the more right wing a party is, the more roads they'll build. It's more about the economic circumstances at any given time.

For instance, highway projects were at a low ebb during the Filmon (PC) years in the 90s. Once the 80s-era projects dried up, only a handful of notable highway projects were completed... twinning 75 to the border was the biggest one, along with some more twinning of the TCH.

Then the Doer (NDP) government took office during relative boom times, when the feds were sending a lot of money to Manitoba. That's when a ton of work was done up north connecting isolated communities to the road network and improving the sad roads in that region. They built CCW, twinned more highways, rebuilt a few aging Perimeter bridges and interchanges and got the ball rolling on 101/59. But then the economy turned and we had extensive flooding which required costly earthworks and derailed the 1/16 interchange, and things have been moving at a slower pace since.

Maybe if economic conditions improve we'll see infrastructure spending surge again, but that doesn't seem to be likely at the moment.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Oops I didn’t know SP’s right-wing. I thought it’d be centrist. If anything, I think only centrist parties build roads (but now I know even that view’s still simplistic).

Thanks for the explanation though.

Ps: Think CentrePort Canada will be a cash cow (or cash generator) for the province?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:15 PM

^ SP is solidly right. They are not far off from Manitoba's PCs so the two cover more or less the same political ground anyway.

As for CentrePort, it's hard to say, it's very complex. At some point I expect that it will generate income for the province, but considering the up front costs that went into it, I would imagine will take a while for the province to be in the black. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me on that front can chime in.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:20 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Or I can just read all the comments in the CentrePort thread if I’m ever that free.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 3:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Or I can just read all the comments in the CentrePort thread if I’m ever that free.
Centre Port was “build it and they might come” , a decade later and everyone is still waiting, huge mistake for the so called trucking province when the perimeter is light controlled every couple kilometres and the main south route is through six different speed limit zones!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 3:35 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Has Regina effectively stolen that opportunity from Winnipeg then?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:40 AM

^ Seems unlikely to me. I would think it takes more than just having an expressway.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 6:03 PM

the collision and gasoline spill at Deacons Corner last week wouldn't have happened if there was an interchange there. Such a busy and dangerous intersection!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 6:45 PM

Quote:

The Saskatchewan Party was formed after financial scandals put many members of the Devine government in jail. It was essentially a reboot of the Conervative party with a new name to disassociate from the scandal.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:00 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/three-mu...nned-1.4292734

Three municipalities south of Winnipeg wants Highway 59 twinned to Highway 52.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Has Regina effectively stolen that opportunity from Winnipeg then?
In a word, no. The Regina Bypass and associated highways are lauded by a number of local civic boosters and the Sask. Party, but MANY other locals I have spoken to see it as over-built and over-priced for Regina's needs. I believe part if it's justification was to service the so-called "Global Transportation Hub" that Brad Wall started. Despite it's grandiose name, there is basically nothing there except (I believe) a Loblaw's (Sobey's? are they the same?) distribution center and a number of Crown agencies that were told to move there. There is a growing scandal over the Loblaw's location as well, as it appears they were basically given the land they use for next to nothing to try to induce anyone to move there, not to mention scandals over the land being acquired and flipped for huge profits by Sask. Party officials.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:16 PM

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.ht...ve=&item=45034
From a couple days ago. Upgrades to highways for this year.

Link to the backgrounder PDF.
https://news.gov.mb.ca/asset_library...ld_Fund-IN.pdf

Of note, a short 2.5km stretch of highway 6 will be twinned from PTH 101 north to Gordon. Basically an intersection upgrade project with 101 it seems. I wonder if they'll straighten out the road or just add another set of lanes. Or maybe an interchange, heeyyyyyy.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:31 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

Of note, a short 2.5km stretch of highway 6 will be twinned from PTH 101 north to Gordon. Basically an intersection upgrade project with 101 it seems. I wonder if they'll straighten out the road or just add another set of lanes. Or maybe an interchange, heeyyyyyy.
Post the past part in the Perimeter Highway thread as well. I’ve been waiting for this improvement for quite a while. :,)

As for the GTH scandal, oh please...
SKPC changed its name to dissociate with the scandalous past, and now they’re on track to doing it again.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

They announced 300 million split between the province and the feds which will basically make up the value yhe PCs have cut from highways yearly budget. They also have all the funds earmarked for the highway upgrades. Unfortunately no interchange coming

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

A 4-lane highway intersecting another 4-lane highway? That’s a 2nd in Manitoba.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Three municipalities south of Winnipeg wants Highway 59 twinned to Highway 52.
We have a 30+ year highway infrastructure deficit to deal with. The request to twin HWY 59 south of Winnipeg makes me laugh as it is so far down the priority list my grandchildren aren't likely to live long enough to see it happen with the current infrastructure spending rate.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 7:06 PM

Looks like the PTH59N bridge over the Floodway will be getting replaced.

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.ht...ted=2019-05-02

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 7:07 PM

^ Great news, hopefully 6 lanes with adequate room for AT.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan