HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 2:43 AM

The moment Trump said he might use her as a negotiation tool we should have released her. One wonders why we would support the U.S. policing of the world in the first place. If China wants to do business with Iran what business is it of anyone else's? I'm getting real tired on their holding their big club over the rest of the world. Pretty sure everyone else is too.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
The moment Trump said he might use her as a negotiation tool we should have released her. One wonders why we would support the U.S. policing of the world in the first place. If China wants to do business with Iran what business is it of anyone else's? I'm getting real tired on their holding their big club over the rest of the world. Pretty sure everyone else is too.
Well if it's not the USA then it will be China, who's club would you rather? It's either a country who employs theft of Intellectual Properties, controls all information spread through its country, imposes its will on lands such as Nepal and Taiwan. They even teach that Mongolia is a province of china. If you oppose these government you are arrested for serious crimes.

I'd much rather be on the side of the US, even if we've had some disagreements. They are still our closest ally, biggest trading partner by far and only real protection from much larger countries like China and much more aggressive ones like Russia who are very active in the arctic.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 3:57 PM

^^Neither.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:53 PM

I'm sure this was mentioned before but I can't remember the answer... anyone know what's going in behind the hoarding on the main floor at Cityplace? The area near Boston Pizza specifically.

There is another outlet on the main floor closer to the centre that is becoming some sort of pizza-in-a-cone shop. At the rate things are going, Cityplace's retail area will be completely food outlets and MPI offices by 2023.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm sure this was mentioned before but I can't remember the answer... anyone know what's going in behind the hoarding on the main floor at Cityplace? The area near Boston Pizza specifically.

There is another outlet on the main floor closer to the centre that is becoming some sort of pizza-in-a-cone shop. At the rate things are going, Cityplace's retail area will be completely food outlets and MPI offices by 2023.
Well there's this kinda chubbier balding guy who's downtown all the time, wears a kids backpack and talks to himself. I saw him looking at the space a couple weeks back and mumble something about groceries. So that's a possibility.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 9:58 PM

Quote:

New customer service location for MPI to replace the larger existing one they currently have at the S/E corner (Donald @ Graham). Apparently they don't need all that space now that some customer service functions are done at other existing MPI locations

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
New customer service location for MPI to replace the larger existing one they currently have at the S/E corner (Donald @ Graham). Apparently they don't need all that space now that some customer service functions are done at other existing MPI locations
Interesting. So any word on what will happen with the space at Donald and Graham?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 2:55 PM

Apparently Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life will be almalgating under the new banner of Canada Life. I wonder if this will result in job losses in Winnipeg and/or the loss of Head Office status of the organization in Winnipeg?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
Apparently Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life will be almalgating under the new banner of Canada Life. I wonder if this will result in job losses in Winnipeg and/or the loss of Head Office status of the organization in Winnipeg?
Definitely count on job losses. There always are in mergers like this.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
All 3 of them are subsidiaries of winnipeg-based great west lifeco

So it won’t affect head office status bc that company is Hq’d in winnipeg. It might affect jobs though

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 3:14 PM

I was under the impression that it was more a branding exercise than a full on corporate re-org?

Besides, who's to say it won't continue to be headquartered here? Why does the speculation automatically go to "they're leaving"?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 4:36 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression that it was more a branding exercise than a full on corporate re-org?

Besides, who's to say it won't continue to be headquartered here? Why does the speculation automatically go to "they're leaving"?
Yes the 3 companies already basically already act as one and the head office departments operate across all 3. So it's really just as legal & branding change. If anything the London Life HQ might downsize a little.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:

It would be great if it continues to be headquartered here. I think the reason for speculation is because we've seen companies move their HQ from Winnipeg to Toronto or Calgary in the past. We seldom (if ever) see the reverse happen.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 5:32 PM

Didn't we talk recently how great west life is undergoing extensive renos in their buildings here? Why would they all of a sudden abandoned that? I guess 10 or 20 mil isn't that big in the scheme of these large insurance corps.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 6:09 PM

^ Who said anything about abandoning their work?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 6:12 PM

I was meaning moving the head office elsewhere. Why would they renovate, then move the head office?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 6:36 PM

London Life has long retreated from having a real presence marketing wise. Heck they used to have fairly prominent tv commercials and even local offices.

The three brands to one brand change is still a massive change. That said it is mostly a paper change.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I was meaning moving the head office elsewhere. Why would they renovate, then move the head office?
Do renovations really matter in the corporate world? Wasn't the basement in the downtown Bay store renovated for Zellers only to have it closed up after the chain was sold by the Bay? Wasn't the large Target store by Polo Park only open for a few months when it was announced by Target that they were pulling out of Canada? Renovations/construction projects can sometimes mean very little when business transactions like those occur leaving us scratching our heads.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 7:35 PM

You can't really compare Target to anything. That was a huge blunder, they blew billions and their management paid for it with their jobs.

I did comment that maybe 20 mil doesn't matter much to a large insurance corp. Seems ridiculous to me, but hey.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Wasn't the large Target store by Polo Park only open for a few months when it was announced by Target that they were pulling out of Canada? Renovations/construction projects can sometimes mean very little when business transactions like those occur leaving us scratching our heads.
I heard from credible sources Target Canada was deep in plans to build another store on the same site as the Portage Ave Costco. While construction never started that was likely advanced professional work being done that was written off as well.

The call to change operations (ie move hq) often comes from the very top of the organization while office renovations, store openings, etc is lower down in priority and more in an operational role that isn't necessarily in the know on closed door, high level discussions which could impact it.

In a general five year horizon I don't think much changes for the local Great West Life staff as there are too many hq staff here to easily relocate operations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan