HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Isn't that the point that Uber drivers don't have Class 4 licences and the extra insurance is supposed to be provided through Uber which doesn't work in SK.
Anyone who already has a Class 5 licence can easily get a class 4 licence, you just pay the fee and take the test. So that isn't stopping anyone from driving Uber.

As for the insurance. Uber has differing insurance options in different jurisdictions. So for example in Ontario private companies created new policy types for ride sourcing businesses. It is kind of like a private vehicle / taxi policy. It is cheaper than a regular taxi policy, but you are limited to 20 hours a week working for Uber.

If you are an Uber driver (contractor) there is already insurance in place in Saskatchewan you can buy. Just get the 2 million liability from private insurers / SGI Canada. Then register your vehicle as a taxi (PT plate). If you are in a rural area the basic insurance for a taxi plate cost is about 50% more than a regular plate. If you are in a small city is is double. If you are in Regina / Saskatoon / P.A. it is a lot because taxis there end up getting in a lot of collisions.

I am not too familiar with the app, however, I would assume Uber takes into account local market conditions / costs when determining the fares. If you want to start driving Uber in White City, there is nothing from SGI stopping you. The thing stopping Uber in Saskatoon/Regina/PA is the requirement for a Taxi Medallion, which there are a limited number.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:17 PM

The Mayor says Uber isn't a taxi, so the City has no ability to regulate, unless the Province gives them the authority under the Cities Act. He also says that Uber approached the City after the 2012 election to gauge interest, but hasn't approached again...

...although, I'd say I releasing this heat map of interest I Regina is a not-so-subtle way of saying there looking at Regina.
http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...be-increasing/

(areas where there's interest are visitor areas & areas with restaurants/bars- like the airport, east end hotel strips, south Albert, Dewdney, downtown, Mosaic & the University)

I have the app on my phone intentionally to let Uber know that I would hail an uber if they were in Regina (your profile includes your address, even if you don't share your location in the background).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 8:46 PM

I'm hearing the rumour Malt City & Flip are closing. They already sold Atlantis on 11th to Brewed Awakening. Anybody else hear this?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curo View Post
I'm hearing the rumour Malt City & Flip are closing. They already sold Atlantis on 11th to Brewed Awakening. Anybody else hear this?
Malt City is closing and Flip is for sale. The former sunk the latter.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Malt City is closing and Flip is for sale. The former sunk the latter.
Malt City tried... but the atmosphere just wasn't there. Like being in an echo chamber. Couldn't hear yourself think. Plus, it never really figured out what it was - upscale, urban bar with a food menu; gastropub (they basically borrowed Beer Bros entire menu during one iteration); tapas bar; something else? Food was hit or miss. First time we went, portions were tiny & prices were huge )which makes me think they were going after the urban crowd used to overpaying at the latest trendy restos in Toronto, Calgary & Vancouver... but on their best day they weren't in those places' league)... and it felt like we were in a hospital cafeteria (cold, sterile environment). Staff were always friendly, though.

Only complaint I have about Flip is that you always leave smelling like the place. The smell permeated clothing, making it impossible for me to go there at lunch, or prior to a show a the Globe. Because of this, I avoided Flip... maybe they addressed the issue in the past couple of years.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 9:33 PM

Malt City was a good place to drink, but I was probably 0/5 foot food

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curo View Post
Malt City posted this to their crackbook page today:

To our Malt City friends and guests,
We would like to notify you that we will be closing our doors at the end of the month. This announcement comes with heavy hearts as we have been so appreciative of your support and of the opportunity we had here to share this beautiful space and memorable experiences over the last two years. We're looking forward to seeing you this month for some more great times. Come down, say hi and grab some food and a drink!
Sincerely,
Malt City Ownership and Management
P.S- we have 1/2 priced whisky all month long!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 4:03 PM

Red Swan Pizza to open on south Albert (just north of the Dollarama/Bonzinni's strip mall). Looks like that would be in the new building that went up in the last year.

http://www.swanpizza.com/zgrid/theme...tact/index.jsp

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Red Swan Pizza to open on south Albert (just north of the Dollarama/Bonzinni's strip mall). Looks like that would be in the new building that went up in the last year.

Yep - signage has been up for a couple weeks now.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post

Hm, anyone from Saskatoon care to comment on this place? Looks like a Pizza Pizza style pizza with fancier toppings.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 10:03 PM

On the subject of pizza, the Rochdale Pizza Pizza location has been converted to sister chain Pizza 73. This does not appear to affect the other locations, one of which (Vic East) is brand new.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
On the subject of pizza, the Rochdale Pizza Pizza location has been converted to sister chain Pizza 73. This does not appear to affect the other locations, one of which (Vic East) is brand new.
Makes sense - it was weird to use Pizza Pizza from Manitoba eastward, Pizza73 Alberta westward... and each brand in Sask. I wouldn't be surprised to see the other locations rebrand.

EDIT: I forgot that Pizza73 is basically an AB/SK thing (there are 2 BC locations & 1 in Yukon... and there really aren't many of either brand in BC: there are 6 PizzaPizzas. Feels kind of like their brand strategy is random after the MB/SK border).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 5:00 PM

Looks like the previous stores on 11th Ave. will be turning into a night club.

https://www.noirregina.com/

I could take a picture of the changes, however, all they have done so far is take down the awning and give the front a coat of black paint.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 5:11 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Looks like the previous stores on 11th Ave. will be turning into a night club.

https://www.noirregina.com/

I could take a picture of the changes, however, all they have done so far is take down the awning and give the front a coat of black paint.
This seems like the Rouge space according to the address?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
This seems like the Rouge space according to the address?
Doh! You are totally right. I jumped the gun there. I heard about the Noir night club, saw that they were painting the front of the 11th avenue location black, and came up with a wrong conclusion.

Well I am curious about what they are putting in that building, hopefully something a bit more up my alley.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 8:05 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Doh! You are totally right. I jumped the gun there. I heard about the Noir night club, saw that they were painting the front of the 11th avenue location black, and came up with a wrong conclusion.

Well I am curious about what they are putting in that building, hopefully something a bit more up my alley.
I think that's O'Hanlons (the guy, not the bar - I think) next project, which has yet to be named. More a pub/tavern style place though.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:03 AM

Anyone know about Noir Nightclub opening at 2415 11th Avenue?

Could 11th avenue be a new Dewdney Avenue strip with Rouge already there and maybe more to come regarding clubs and bars?

*** Oops, I searched the address again and I guess maybe Rouge is rebranding?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I think that's O'Hanlons (the guy, not the bar - I think) next project, which has yet to be named. More a pub/tavern style place though.
I don't believe it is. Last I checked, Niall still doesn't have a name for his new pub.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 2:44 PM
BANNED

Quick question for anyone who might remember. What was the name of the bar on the main floor of the Chateau Tower on Broad St right a across the street from the Regina Inn. Closed many years ago but was always rocking on Sunday nights?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Quick question for anyone who might remember. What was the name of the bar on the main floor of the Chateau Tower on Broad St right a across the street from the Regina Inn. Closed many years ago but was always rocking on Sunday nights?
Barts or Bartelbys

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan