HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
On second thought, I could be wrong. I don't remember where I may have seen that Austin was.
I think their official NORAM headquarters is still SF, but they have over 500 employees here. It's not a small team by any means.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:24 PM

I really despise their products (except Trello, which is somehow still great after they acquired it) but I'll take it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 12:09 AM

I use Jira for work a lot, and it's a pretty decent product.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 1:13 AM

I always hated Jira, but I nonetheless admit that it's better than any equivalent product that I have used. Making enterprise software is not easy.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 7:17 PM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 7:22 PM

Saw that. I half wondered whether he's teasing an announcement of some sort for SXSW.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 9:14 PM

Jo’s, maybe something’s brewing......... something interesting.............. patience.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 9:29 PM

I think the Coronavirus outbreak has risen to the level of being a recession trigger.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I think the Coronavirus outbreak has risen to the level of being a recession trigger.
Never liked Corona, nasty........Viva Tecate....w/Twang of course.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
A twist of lime may be the cure. Its completely unfathomable that a virus from a snake is causing such a major global upheaval. Not to come off as anything but optimistic but....we're doomed
Starting to think my avatar is somewhat prophetic.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Not saying the Coronavirus isn't a cause for concern, but I do believe the media likes to over hype things. There acting like it's a zombie apocalypse.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 1:07 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I like Tecate! Most people around these parts seem to like modello or corona. Gross.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 1:09 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Not saying the Coronavirus isn't a cause for concern, but I do believe the media likes to over hype things. There acting like it's a zombie apocalypse.
The media will milk every bit of this. Not saying it’s not serious, it for sure is.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
The media will milk every bit of this. Not saying it’s not serious, it for sure is.
Its all about the ratings.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
It's not about media hype. People can see through that. It's about the numbers which are probably under reported and what the CDC said today.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 3:24 AM

Getting a little worried about SXSW where already seen other tech companies pull out of other large conventions and showcases. May not see any attendees from China, South Korea or Japan. I am still going but play it safe around crowds of people, and take those tiny hand wipes with me.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/sx...ow/ar-BB10ojRe

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:13 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

It's understandable that people are concerned, but it is interesting how this has taken on a sort of frenzy of worry. Let's compare it to the current flu season which has killed many more people, (overall a higher percentage of people that have died of the flu to the number of people who have had the flu.) Some could argue that we don't fully know the scope just yet of the Corona virus (definitely lime and salt is the way to go... ..though I do love me some Modelo too... Hey I'm a light beer guy) which is true, but looking at what we do know, the percentage of people who have died of the coronavirus is fairly small compared to the overall number that have contracted the virus and survived as well as the number of people who have died from the flu. In fact, There were likely more people than we know of who contracted the coronavirus in China with mild symptoms, didn't get any treatment and have since recovered. Considering all that, more people should be concerned about the flu than the coronavirus but since we deal with different strains of the flu every year, our psyche doesn't really put the flu on the same level as these new strains that pop up.

Nevertheless it is always a good idea to be aware and to be proactive.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Feb 26, 2020 at 6:40 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It's understandable that people are concerned, but it is interesting how this has taken on a sort of frenzy of worry. Let's compare it to the current flu season which has killed many more people, (overall a higher percentage of people that have died of the flu to the number of people who have had the flu.) Some could argue that we don't fully know the scope just yet of the Corona virus (definitely lime and salt is the way to go... ..though I do love me some Modelo too... Hey I'm a light beer guy) which is true, but looking at what we do know, the percentage of people who have died of the coronavirus is fairly small compared to the overall number that have contracted the virus and survived as well as the number of people who have died from the flu. In fact, There were likely more people than we know of who contracted the coronavirus in China with mild symptoms, didn't get any treatment and have since recovered. Considering all that, more people should be concerned about the flu than the coronavirus but since we deal with different strains of the flu every year, our psyche doesn't really put the flu on the same level as these new strains that pop up.

Do you get your news from the Chinese state media?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 3:13 PM

Looks like only N95 masks will protect you.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

wtf are you talking about? flu deaths certainly outnumber covid19 deaths in the aggregate, but the fatality rate for flu is a fraction of that for covid19.

btw, the covid19 outcome breakdown according to WHO was something like this:
80% mild symptoms - no hospitalization
20% severe or critical - could require significant medical intervention, including from respiratory support machines. the range of outcomes here includes shit like septic shock and organ failure. death rate seems to be around 2% but could change significantly.

freerover's chart show covid19's death rate as a pretty wide range, but either way it's WAY more than the 0.1% of ordinary seasonal flu.

this doesn't mean we need to panic and buy out costco, but we shouldn't ignore this potential threat.

Last edited by atxsnail; Feb 26, 2020 at 3:21 PM. Reason: WHO link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin