HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 1:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I also think you may be overvaluing Laine...I don't think you could get a #2 centre AND and 1st pairing d-man for him let alone a prospect.
We can easily get more. The Jets are in a good position, considering there is an abundance of talent on the wing in the organization. There would be a bidding war for a 21 year old player who has already scored over 110 goals.

With the depletion of our top defenders, on paper, it seems we are not much different than the Oilers. Edmonton has been top-heavy for the past decade with an abundance of forwards, but a suspect defense, and no star goaltender.

We do not want to be like the Oilers.

Last edited by GregSF; Oct 11, 2019 at 11:17 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 1:16 PM
What could go wrong?

If Laine continues to play the way he did last night I wouldn't trade him for anyone (I wouldn't trade him either way). He was a beast last night.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:10 PM

If that's the new Laine, he'll be a Top 5 player in the world in short order. Goodness gracious.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:01 PM

^^ I would guess that after Laine's huge pay raise and his campaign to play on the team's top line, he really has no choice BUT to produce, and in large numbers. If the defensive corps can stay decent throughout the season AND Hellebyuck is all to perform like he did two seasons ago, it will be an interesting year!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:04 PM

It's nice that the fanbase can breathe a sigh of relief. I mean, I'm not expecting a division title but the early indications are that is shaping up to be a playoff team.

So when will there be a Dustin Byfuglien night so we can thank him for all the great and highly entertaining memories he has given us?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:54 PM
What could go wrong?

I was at the game last night and was secretly hoping there would be a surprise at the end of the player introductions the would have said " and number 33 Dustin Byfuuuuflen". Place would have gone fucken nuts.

But.....I am convinced that he is done.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:55 PM

The cap is currently at $6,186,041, if Buf is to return we would need $7,600,000. If Buf did return he would take a current roster spot, likely Niku's which would add $775,000. Every game he misses brings our cap up $92,682.93. Every game Little and Beaulieu misse adds $64,532.51 and $12,195.12 to the cap.

$6,186,041 Current Cap
$ 775,000 Niku's Cap
$6,961,041 Combined Cap
-$7,600,000 Buffs Cap Hit
$ 638,959 Cap Relieve Required for Buff to Return
/$ 169,410.56 Every Game Buff, Little & Beaulieu Miss
3.77 Number of games for Buff to fit under the cap

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:59 PM

He could be back as soon as the Edmonton game on October 20, unless he is just going to retire.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
I was at the game last night and was secretly hoping there would be a surprise at the end of the player introductions the would have said " and number 33 Dustin Byfuuuuflen". Place would have gone fucken nuts.

Ha. This isn't wrestling where players arrive unannounced to the delight of the fans.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Ha. This isn't wrestling where players arrive unannounced to the delight of the fans.
Biff wasn't wrong, though. They could've played the Stone Cold breaking glass for even more effect

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:46 PM

On 1290 they were saying that Niku is likely in the doghouse...not sure why...just speculating. He must have something done something to piss of the coaching staff or organization. Why else would you send him back to the Moose and play a brutal defenseman like Bitetto 20 minutes a night.

The eye test and a look at the analytics shows Bitetto to be among the absolute worst d-man in the league. Maurice loves his scrub vets. They might be terrible, but they are predictable! In his eyes, I guess that's better than a more talented young player with a much higher upside.

Same thing applies to awful Mark Letestu.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 1:55 AM

Pionk has impressed me the last few games. Certainly shouldn’t be a top outing guy, but he looks solid out there. Nothing flashy, but reliable.

Heinola is clearly a stud.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 3:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Can I follow you on twitter?

I enjoy your takes on the Jets.

Last edited by GregSF; Oct 12, 2019 at 8:46 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Sad news from the hockey world.

Native Winnipegger, and ex-Winnipeg Jets player Ted Green died today. He was 79. Green enjoyed a long career, playing with the NHL Bruins for 12 seasons, before departing for the WHA. He had spend his last four seasons with the Jets, helping them win three Avco Cups.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 12:37 PM

Anyone looking for tickets to Jets vs NYI on Thursday? Selling below face value, both of my kids have hockey games that night! $120, 2 seats sec 318, row 8

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:46 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Anyone looking for tickets to Jets vs NYI on Thursday? Selling below face value, both of my kids have hockey games that night! $120, 2 seats sec 318, row 8
https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/...d1o4uzvkafdnuz

Wonder if this is a trend to be concerned about?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 9:05 PM

As long as the season ticket sales keep up, they will be okay.

That being said, I know a bunch of people, of a certain age we'll say, dropping their tickets because they don't care anymore. Maybe not that they don't care about the Jets, but don't care to go to games because they're on the downturn. Fair weather fans. That's a concern.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 12:54 AM

Tickets are expensive and they get more expensive every year... It's not rocket science.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:32 AM

I think it was a perfect storm of ... the storm ... and being the first day after Thanksgiving, against the Coyotes, after a whooping by the Penguins, with an AHL defence. I'm not overly worried right now. If it happens again, then I will be a bit.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Tickets are expensive and they get more expensive every year... It's not rocket science.
If ticket prices increase at a greater rate than the rate of economic growth in a same region/city it is an economic certainty demand for the product will
eventually decrease....and that is what is finally happening

In the first few years of the franchise, season ticket holders at the various price points were guaranteed an annual yearly rate of increase of 3% if they locked in for 3 - 5 year commitments. In more recent years, I believe that rate increased to 5% even with a multi-year commitment. Over at HFBoards Jets, I think it was discovered that the rates for some (possibly all?) the season tickets for this past season had increased by 7%. Add in the increases in concessions and beverages, increased rates with parking, the no re-admittance policy (people forced to spend more money at Bell MTS) and typical economic growth in Winnipeg/Manitoba hovering around 2% annually and you have the current situation as it stands.

There will be more non-sellouts this year..that is all but assured.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan