HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 6:38 AM

Manitoba's diversity is it's advantage, far more than any other Western province.
It also has a significant manufacturing sector but ulike Ontario's, it's doing very well due to the type of products it manufactures.
Ontario manufactures all auto goods in the country and domestic auto producers are taking a pounding although it should be noted that many new Japanese auto plants have/are being set up.

Winnipeg's two main manufacturing areas are the two booming ones........transit buses thru NewFlyer and airplane parts. Those are two areas that have tyhe best outlook especially bus manufacturing where NewFlyer can't keep up with orders and that will only increase.
Also the soaring price of canola, wheat and other food stuffs will be a boon for Manitoba as will it's huge Hydro potential. Over the long term I think Manitoba will fair the best over the next 50 years.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 1:17 AM
Movin' on up

Just finished reading the new sticky for rural development for Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Good to see what is going on in Sask. but am seriously disappointed about the lack of coverage on rural Manitoba developments. Perhaps its just that people just aren't interested in posting Manitoba developments?

I'm truly concerned that Manitoba will fall so far behind Saskatchewan that we won't be able to compete with them; not good being last in the west. Do other Manitoban's feel that we will eventually become last in the west in terms of economic development, population growth, etc. and stay there? To me, this does not reflect well on Manitoba's national and international image.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 2:09 AM
Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Just finished reading the new sticky for rural development for Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Good to see what is going on in Sask. but am seriously disappointed about the lack of coverage on rural Manitoba developments. Perhaps its just that people just aren't interested in posting Manitoba developments?

I'm truly concerned that Manitoba will fall so far behind Saskatchewan that we won't be able to compete with them; not good being last in the west. Do other Manitoban's feel that we will eventually become last in the west in terms of economic development, population growth, etc. and stay there? To me, this does not reflect well on Manitoba's national and international image.
Hard to say. It all depends on how long the resource boom keeps going on for and what Alberta and Saskatchewan do with the windfall. The longer the boom and if the 2 provinces are proactive enough to diversify to more advanced industry, then yes, Manitoba will always be the 'economic sickman' of western Canada. If the boom goes bust within the next few years and the money is pissed away as often happens, it'll be OK by western standards. The problem here is that you have a province so large in area yet so sparse in resources (relative to others) that it doesn't at least give you that chance to leapfrog ahead in terms of economic wealth. Kicked in the crotch climatewise and resourcewise.

Having lived in both BC and Alberta over the past five years, I do feel it to be more economically depressed here. Those places are doing quite well, and the stats show Manitoba to be doing OK. Makes you wonder what it must be like right now out east.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan